Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:30:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Western by Peter Pig  (Read 2725 times)

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
Western by Peter Pig
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:42:39 PM »
Peter Pig just announced pre-ordors for their new rules set 'Western'.

From the info I have: A 110-page rulebook that includes scenario generator, force composition, victory conditions, index, etc… plus the rulebook will be another in the PP grid system series.  All in one rulebook, no expansions. Various-sized figures are catered for: 10mm, 15mm, 18/20mm, 25/28mm, 54mm. Battles not skirmishes. More info here: http://www.peterpig.co.uk/WESTERN%20informaton.html

I'm very hopeful that these will allow me to use all those 15mm cowboys and ACW troops I have collected but not found a use for on the table.

They look interesting for 'bigger than a skirmish but not a true battle' engagements for the period. Note, I have no info other than participating in the pre-order myself but as there are not many rules for this period and scale I though other may be interested.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Western by Peter Pig
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 02:57:11 AM »
Took a peruse at the link.  First question has to be, how are these rules different from Hey, You in the Jail?  (also from Peter Pig)  At first blush, they seem rather similar.   

And two dice give a bell curve.  More dice just give a flatter bell curve.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
I think these are an update/newer version to 'hey you in jail'. Never played those so can't comment more.

Offline Streetline

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
Having got both and had time to digest, they're very different in feel. Western is a much smoother, square bashing based system compared to HYITJ. They might not float your boat but they are by no means a simple revamp of the old set.
Exeter Legionary - 7th May 2022 - Exeter Matford Centre
Games, traders,  bigger bring and buy every year
http://legionaryshow.co.uk/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:51 AM »
Streetline, can you please explain "square bashing based system"?  I have Hey You in The Jail though never played it but my basing will be similar in the 3 figures per base - but for all bases (too many in 15 mm to single base).  Curious to here more about the newer rules.  Thanks!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
I kind of zoned out at ' A 110-page rulebook'......  :o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Flashman14

• Scientist
    • One of My Men Became Restless
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:30:44 PM »
I can't easily find the price for either the PDF or the book itself.
"One of My Men Became Restless" focuses on 15mm Horse & Musket periods and 25mm Horse & Musket, Fantasy, Horror and Victorian everything! Occasionally there'll be stuff of related interest but it's mostly a painters blog.  See it all here: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 03:43:12 AM »
Go to Peter Pig home page, select rules, select Western, voila, price.  I believe 18 British pounds if I recall right.

I, too, worry about page count but the Hey You rule book had the actual game rules on a fraction of the total pages.  Still hoping to hear more about these rules.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
I'm working through the rules and plan on doing a couple of trial games at some point. May be in the New year before I really get that done though.