Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pictures from Recent Games  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Pictures from Recent Games
« on: June 27, 2018, 05:02:23 AM »
Hey, all,

Trying out the post photo function here using attachments. I hope it works (despite my brushwork - I still paint the same way I did almost 40 years ago).

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Pictures from Recent Games
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »
Looks like some fun games there! What rules are you using?

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
Hey, blacksoilbill,

I am using the ancient Melee/Wizard/The Fantasy Trip rules, with heavy modification. I think everyone who played TFT (or the advanced version, In The Labyrinth) house-ruled a bunch of stuff.

It uses hexes, but it plays fine with a grid (or even without defined spaces).

Thanks!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
Looks like a great time!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
Looks a fun game was had, and nothing wrong with the painting, works well for me!! :)

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
Really inspiring stuff, your scenery is beautiful! Lovely work on the miniatures too, bright and vibrant, just how I always envisage these old school models. Love the simplicity of the bases - it's one area I've always struggled with personally and seeing these miniatures work so effectively has convinced me to go a similar route after much umm'ing and aah'ing  :D

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks, gibby64, they were some fun games!

jambo1, thanks for the kind words on the painting - I only have about 4,000 left to paint!

tjgreenway, I appreciate the nice words! The scenery is Dwarven Forge from the first two kickstarters (when I had more money), painted myself. I am kinda embarrassed to admit that I use craft paints on the figures, but the bottles are cheap and the colors are great! Glad you like the bases - most of them are Craftsmart "Bight Palm" but any bright medium green works for me! I hope I haven't convinced you to go down a route you will regret later!?!

I put some of my pictures in a comic to memorialize one adventure. If anyone is interested, I put it on my new sword & sorcery blog. I am still trying to figure things out picture-posting-wise, but it starts here: https://swordsunderdistantsuns.com/2018/06/22/greywater-chronicles-issue-1/

I attached a page below so you can judge whether it might be worth your time.

Thanks again, guys!   

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
It looks good.  Some of those figures bring back fond memories.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »
That looks terrific!

You've got a lovely horde of Ral Partha goblins there.

I gather that Steve Jackson will be re-releasing the TFT rules soon. It seems to be a system that's held up pretty well over the decades.

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
Dan55, Thanks! I am all about the old true 25's.

Hobgoblin, thanks, there are a lot more RP goblins where that came from. Some orcs, too, grey-skinned like yours but not nearly so lovely. I love your work.

SJG will be doing up a kickstarter for the re-release of Melee and Wizard at the end of July. It still has many followers. It is really a tactical RPG, similar to a lot of the skirmish style rules that many here seem to favor. Full disclosure - I published a few programmed adventures for it the last decade or so, trying to keep it alive.

For all two of the people who care, the next action-packed episode of the Greywater Chronicles is up. I posted a sample page below so you can be assured you are not missing anything!  :)

https://swordsunderdistantsuns.com/2018/06/28/greywater-chronicles-issue-2/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:08:58 PM by Mister Frau Blucher »

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
No battles this past weekend, but hopefully this weekend. I did get some skeletons and goblins painted up, all from Ral Partha/Ironwind Metals.

I tried the stain painting for the goblins, but gave up on that idea after I finished their skin. I don't have any inks, and the thinned out paints looked like doo-doo, so I went back to my standard utilitaian/American Primitivist style. The skin, which was an Army Pinter green wash, I left even though it looks a lot different from my other goblins' skin tone.

The skellies are always easy, though, black primer and then white dry brush.

Offline Grishnakh

• Schoolboy
    • TFT - Melee Wizards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 04:17:53 PM »
Good to see you on these boards Mister Frau Blucher! Perhaps one day I too shall take the plunge, figure out how to post pictures, and join you in some old TFT and Dark City Games stories. Personally, I switched over to a very tricked out version of HeroQuest for all my miniature gaming. A lot easier to run than TFT and just as enjoyable!

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »
Hey, Grish, old buddy!

I'd love to see some photos of your games. Your posts on the heroscapers forums were the best, and got me back into terrain. I still have all the heroscape hex stuff I bought, but as you can see I use a lot of Dwarven Forge dwarvenite pvc that I got in their first two kickstarters. It plays a little different using it with TFT/LAW, but we all have our own house rules anyway!

HeroQuest is fun, but I haven't played in a long, long time. I never owned a set, and the prices on ebay are kinda ridiculous. Maybe when I win the lottery...

Good to hear from you, man, and please post some photos!

And update your meleewizards blog!!!!  lol

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
the comic -book AAR is brilliant.
I'd like to get into doing something like that myself - is there particular software you're using?

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
Hello, Bloggard, thanks for the kind words!

I am using Comic Life 3. It's the free trial version, which is good for 30 days, but I will go ahead and buy it for 30 bucks.

It's pretty straightforward to use, and the more you play with it, the more it makes sense.

There are also a couple of youtube videos of people messing with it.

It was somebody here on LAF that got me looking at it, though I can't recall who.

Linkage:

https://plasq.com/apps/comiclife/macwin/