Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dieppe "Operation Jubilee' Query  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Dieppe "Operation Jubilee' Query
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:13:03 PM »
Okay learned colleagues, I have a technical query.

I have been trawling through images on the internet for the Dieppe raid 1942 and very definitely observe a wrecked bren carrier on the beach. I have been wondering about the precise battalion structure for the infantry and in particular the elements of the support company.

I'm reasonably certain the anti-tank elements were still ATR and 2 pounders and the fire support 3" mortars and Vickers MMG. Personally I'd want a ride up the chert if I had the main components of the Vickers or a mortar but is it possible and does anyone know if they took their ATGs? I'd have assumes they intended to rely on close tank support for anti-tank capability.

Or am I off the mark completely?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dieppe "Operation Jubilee' Query
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
Not sure about the 2pdrs , I didn't think standard infantry battalions had AT gun platoons until 1943, when the original HQ Company was split into HQ Coy and separate Support Coy.
But Vickers MMGs were NEVER part of the infantry battalion line up, they were organized into Machine Gun battalions.

Having said all that, the battalions at Dieppe might have been re-organized, I don't know.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:11 PM »
I think this is the second query on the Dieppe raid in recent weeks, I am surprised that something so significant but of such limited scope does not have the details readily available.

I look forward to hearing more on this subject (and will have to improve my knowledge on the subject).

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 04:57:49 AM »
Yes my misstatement about the Vickers - they would have been MG sections/platoons or companies from a MG Battalion - this was also the Australian practice.

I have read that the mortar crews dragged their equipment using 'dollies' with very mixed results - so I'm surmising that the carriers were not therefor theirs. A Flames of War ORBAT has carriers attached to elements of the Calgary tanks. The Churchills came in on LCTs; however, and I have images of carriers on LCMs so I remain confused. I'm still looking.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/rep-rap/cmhqrd-drqgmc-eng.asp?txtType=2&RfId=83

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/rep-rap/doc/cmhq/cmhq089.pdf

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/rep-rap/doc/cmhq/cmhq090.pdf

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/rep-rap/doc/cmhq/cmhq100.pdf

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/rep-rap/doc/cmhq/CMHQ101.pdf

Here are the five official Canadian Military HQ DHH reports written by LCol (then Major) C.P. Stacey, the official historian, and who the DHH building would be named after.

I wouldn’t believe anything that comes out of Flames of War. They use sketchy research mixed with pure fantasy.

Have a go at reading these reports and see what you can glean.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
Many thanks Grant. I will begin reading those accounts shortly to be sure. Before I do I'll share what I've uncovered since posting last.

In keeping with the MG Battalion providing support rather than a support company concept (which didn't come into effect for Canadian Infantry (rifle) battalions until November 1942) the Toronto Scottish Regiment (Machine Gun) deployed a section on each LCT (a gun fore and aft). They had fixed AA mountings for air defence and carried the usual tripods for ground attack. The intent was to provide beach over-watch from the elevated vantage points the vessels could provide.

So ... the carriers weren't apparently for them either. It doesn't look like ATG capability for Infantry went beyond issuing Boys ATRs per rifle platoon (replaced later by PIAT). The 2prds ATG proved impractical as a towed/man-handled piece and were relegated to dedicated Ant-Tank roles (batteries) with the Artillery. It doesn't look like close support ATG capability was realized until after Dieppe with the adoption of the carrier -towed 6pdr.

When/if I get to the bottom of this, I am suspecting they were a part of the Calvary regiment but we'll see. 

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
If the Canadians followed the British organization, the HQ company of each infantry battalion had a scout platoon of 10 carriers. Isn't it possible that they took a proportion of these along?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 01:37:08 AM »
Unlucky glad they are of use.

I have a large number of TO&Es salvaged from the now defunct Armoured Acorn; PM your email and I will get you what I saved.

I do know you’re going generally in the wrong direction - the anti tank guns weren’t part of armoured regiments.

Let me know if I can help.

Cheers

Grant

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
Thanks Gents.

Now that I'm back home for a spell with access to my library I have confirmed there was a universal carrier with the Calgary tanks in TLC 8 (Regt HQ) but never made the beach.

One is photographed abandoned on Dieppe beach and identified as belonging to the Royal Regiment of Canada most likely assisting the PMLO (Principle Military Landing Officer) according to Hugh Henry's Dieppe Through the Lens. But how did it get there?

I have seen pre-landing (training?) photos of universal carriers in LCMs. Accounts have LCMs hitting the beach but none appear to have been left behind in front of Dieppe town or photographed by the Germans.