Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686553
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice on modelling this?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
Advice on modelling this?
« on: June 29, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
Inspired by the incredible craftsmanship here, I’m going to try and make myself a 28mm Indigo factory like the one shown for my Indian Mutiny project.

The construction should be simple enough but I’d appreciate some advice on the best way and suitable materials to model both the bales of plants in the upper vats and the ‘water’ in the lower pools - I’m sure there’s some far superior products out there for the latter than the marine varnish we used to use 30+ years ago when I last tried something like this!

Thanks for your help and advice

Simon

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Advice on modelling this?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:06:42 AM »
Hard to make out, but the "water" could just be purple colour plaster mix - as it looks like it's got a bit o texture to it. For the bales not so sure.

Would recommend this gets moved (by moderators) to the workbench sub-forum to get a wider audience.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
 :o Superb!

Some years ago I hastily made indigo hill vats for pirate games (right of picture) but not as nice as yours (and never really finished) and also such devices in the Caribbean c.1700 were much simpler than those of mid-19th century India.

For the plants in the upper vat I used coco broom bristles soaked in blue paint; and I painted the vats blue (and I intended to fill them with a mix of modelling water and blue-green paint ...still haven't done it yet).

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »
If only that were my model, Patrice - it’s one of several I found online which will be the blueprint (!) for my version.

Some good suggestions already, thank you, and I appreciate the suggestion to move this to the workbench forum.

S

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
My go to material for modeling water is acrylic gloss medium - which can be mixed with acrylic paint to get whatever color is desired.  A cool technique is to layer the gloss medium with successive layers and tint the layers differently, say blue, then green, etc.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 03:21:01 PM »
foam board and spackle, and Woodland scenics water stuff
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
When making my own model I looked at historical and universitary research about indigo production in the Caribbean French colonies 17th-18th C.
Interesting fact: the colour in the upper vat(s) would be more greenish than blue. Actual indigo blue in the lower vat(s) was obtained by adding an alkali (lime).

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
For water I use enivrotex lite since I like to have a solid surface that does not shrink.  It is resin so you need to protect foam as the resin generates heat.  It can be colored and textured with two part epoxy resin.  Here is a toot from Hirst Arts for its use.  http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#water
Hope that helps
Snitchy sends
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline industrialtrousers

• Student
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 07:02:38 AM »
Not sure where you are but in the UK the £1 stores do a cheap epoxy resin. Add some colour to that and it'll look right.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
Not sure where you are but in the UK the £1 stores do a cheap epoxy resin. Add some colour to that and it'll look right.

They do? Which aisle is that?

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 06:31:45 AM »
Lukes APS has a review of various water effects including the Poundland resin glue.This may be a link:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lukes+terrain&&view=detail&mid=67C70299128C9F02A98B67C70299128C9F02A98B&&FORM=VRDGAR
If it doesn't work, search youtube for something like lukes terrain cheap water effects.
Johm

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »
Thank you for some great advice, much appreciated.

Let’s see how this goes...