Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 12- Winners and results  (Read 8108 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
The Lead Painters League Season 12- Winners and results
« on: July 01, 2018, 03:05:49 AM »
Another LPL reaches its conclusion.  This year we had a smaller field, of 18 members, in a new format.  Thank you to all participants for undertaking the challenge and submitting their painting to wider scrutiny.  Thanks also to everyone who took the time to vote and comment each week.

A big thank you to Admiral Benbow for running the leaderboard each week and, along with Captain Blood and Westfalia Chris, for help behind the scenes.

Now onto the winners of Lead Painters League 12:

Well done to Goliad, Maledrakh, Freelancer and Pulper for getting into the play-off rounds.  Thanks also to Hu Rhu for stepping in to take part in the play-offs, with a member unable to continue beyond Round 6.

Fourth place goes to Lt. Hazel.  Once again first class painting combined with wonderful scene-setting, making for some excellent, atmospheric entries.

In Third place is Dr Mathias, an LPL stalwart and multiple previous winner.  His usual great miniature scenes with crisp clear photography.  A bronze medal to add to the collection.

Second place goes to Keith, a first-time LPL participant.  A slightly different approach, with wonderfully smooth, clean painting and minimal scenery concentrating on the minis with pin-sharp photography.  A very worthy silver-medallist and clearly a contender for future LPL.

First place goes to a LAF veteran, but LPL newbie, Plynkes.  A season-long undefeated dominance.  Quality work throughout, from familiar Colonial scenes through to unexpected periods, themes and converted miniatures.  Smooth painting, perfect scene-setting and Baldrick!  Brilliant stuff Dylan.  Congratulations!

Finally, the leaderboard as it stood at the end of the league stages:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:13:23 AM by Overlord »
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 12- Winners and results
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »
Congratulations to all the winners, fantastic stuff throughout the league and a great overall show! And of course thanks to everybody who participated, all the voters and last but not least - a big Thank you very much to Overlord for running the contest so smoothly! Looking forward to next year, of course ...

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:22:23 PM »
Plynkes - congratulations on the top spot and also thanks for your kind comments on my figure who cropped up in all the rounds

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:46 AM »
Well done to all... participants and organizers!

Another splendid competition!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:50:28 AM »
A very well deserved final four, and particular kudos to Plynkes, who has spent the last couple of years muttering that he’d pretty much given up painting and had no mojo left for it - then turns in this incredible, majesterial performance! The LPL is a kill or cure undertaking! ;) Well done Dylan.

Thank you too, Paul, for organising and setting up the matches. It was a numerically small field this time, but the overall quality was extremely good I thought. And even with 18 participants, there’s still a lot to do, receiving entries, organising the pairings etc. Thanks too to Michael for the support on the spreadsheet.

Enjoyable as ever  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:27:19 AM »
I think it was kill or cure, but I'm not sure which outcome I achieved, to be honest. Haven't gone back to the painting table yet. Hopefully I'll be able to continue without the motivation of the league spurring me on. If not I'll just go back to quietly muttering in the corner.  lol

Thanks to everyone: Paul and Michael for turning the cogs and gears behind the scenes, my wonderful rivals and fellow competitors, and of course the lovely, lovely voting membership (the manila envelopes will be in the post this morning, everyone).

I had a blast. Never doing it again.  ;)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
Well done Plynkes - and everyone else. Brilliant show.  8) 8) 8)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
Yes,well done to everyone,really enjoyed all the entries  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »
Okay, so I told my colleagues at work that I was doing the LPL this year, and so almost every day of the last nine weeks I've been getting "How's it going? Are you winning?" Their enthusiasm has been quite touching, especially considering they have seen none of the figures nor any pictures of them. They've been my cheer-leading squad and quite possibly my secret weapon (sorry, Baldrick). And they've been very understanding when I've ducked out when I was supposed to be in charge, and left them to their own devices to go painting when everything was in a desperate mess and I just had to get an entry finished (that happened a couple of times).

After telling Mrs. GeeGee on Saturday that I had won, today I was greeted by this in the workshop (she's a horsey lady, and horsey ladies deal in rosettes):

It's made from genuine U.S. Army #8 Cotton Duck* (the canvas that beat Nazism). The paint guy did the #1 stencil. Yes, surprisingly at my work I am not the paint guy, that's somebody else. So I've fixed it to the door of the man-cave.

Isn't that just the nicest thing? I love those guys!  :-*

*As American as Apple Pie, made in Pakistan.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:32:14 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 07:32:22 AM »
Absolutely lovely, Dylan  :-* you're a lucky guy, having such great peers!

Congrats to all participants for another phantastic league and thank you very much for all the shiny pictures, I had a great time watching!

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
I still feel like a bit of a fraud to have made it to second place in such a talented group. Still, it's a real bucket-list item ticked off now and has been great fun. It's been inspiring to see the other entries and personally a bit of a needed boost to read some of the nice comments about my efforts over the weeks.

I've found this hugely motivational and would like to thank the organisers, the participants and everyone who took the time to vote. After a bit of a slump for a week or so  following my last entry I'm already starting to think about next year  :D

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »
Are we going to do the portfolio thing this year? I quite enjoyed it last time. For one thing I'm being pestered by non-LAFer friends who want to see my pics. It would be handy to be able to give them a link where they're all in one place. They'll only get lost if they have to navigate the whole contest.

I can do it myself if you like, but I thought I'd ask first as I don't want to step on the mods' toes.  :)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
That would be good  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 01:57:01 PM »
I enjoy seeing all the LPL entries from particular painters brought together in a single portfolio.
If I had more time this week, I'd undertake to do it for you. But truthfully, it's probably quicker and easier if each person does their own? It really won't be stepping on anyone's toes :)
You should be able to simply cut and paste the gallery links to each of your pics from the respective matches, and assemble them into one thread.

Personally, I'd love to see some brief commentary from each painter on their entries too - what you liked and didn't like so much? What you thought you could have done better? Any particular techniques you found worked well? And which were your favourite figures to paint? That sort of thing :)

I know it may feel a bit self-indulgent, so no need to feel obliged, obviously. But for other painters here on LAF, I think it would offer some interesting insights...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
Righto. I'll get on it when I get a minute.