Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reality's Edge: Cyberpunk Skirmish Rules by Osprey  (Read 35568 times)

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
Reality's Edge: Cyberpunk Skirmish Rules by Osprey
« on: July 01, 2018, 04:18:17 AM »
I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this here, Osprey is publishing a set of cyberpunk rules by the author of This Is Not a Test.

http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2018/06/breaking-osprey-games-realitys-edge.html

I don't see anything about it on Osprey's site yet though. I wonder if North Star minis will be producing stuff for this game? Or we can start a discussion of suitable minis for the cyberpunk genre.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
Re: Reality's Edge: Cyberpunk Skirmish Rules by Osprey
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:57:50 AM »
For the next year, I can read in Amazon...

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that after posting. Still, that just gives those interested more time to collect and paint minis  ;)

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »

Hmmm.  Maybe this will be the game I was hoping Rogue Stars would be.  It might even get me to finally take the plunge into the Infinity line after side-eying it for years wondering if I should...

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 06:48:26 AM »
Hmmm.  Maybe this will be the game I was hoping Rogue Stars would be.  It might even get me to finally take the plunge into the Infinity line after side-eying it for years wondering if I should...

If you're looking for the game Rogue Stars should have been, then definitely check out the Star Breach ruleset: https://starbreach.com

Models agnostic, 20 different factions covering every Sci-fi trope imaginable, randomized initiative with a dice pull system, elegant in-game mechanics, campaign and tournament support, and a massive scenarios books for 2-6 players. AND it's all free to download at the website.
Creator of Star Breach and NCO Tabletop Games: starbreach.com

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:29 PM »
Yeah thats sort of my hope too. Rogue Stars just didn't quite hit the spot fo me.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 01:51:47 AM »
I have to confess I too was sorely disappointed in Rogue Stars.

I even purchased extra copies for our game group. We tried to like it, wanted to like it but it was too clunky. Not at all the 'ASOBH in Space' we'd all hoped. Won't make that mistake again.

Cyberpunk fan that I am, I'll keep an eye on this. But will wait for the reviews this time.

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 04:29:39 AM »
If you didn't notice, Joseph McGuire of This is Not a Test is writing it.

Salcor

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 04:49:53 AM »
I have to confess I too was sorely disappointed in Rogue Stars.

I even purchased extra copies for our game group. We tried to like it, wanted to like it but it was too clunky. Not at all the 'ASOBH in Space' we'd all hoped. Won't make that mistake again.

Cyberpunk fan that I am, I'll keep an eye on this. But will wait for the reviews this time.

I once read on a forum someone renaming Rogue Stars as “Homework: The Game”. Lol. A little brutal, but not entirely untrue. As I mentioned above, if you and your crew really wanted to like Rogue Stars and you dig Frostgrave or ASOBH, definitely check out Star Breach. It’s completely free too at starbreach.com too, so no harm done if you and your crew check it out and don’t like it! :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 05:34:57 PM »
If you didn't notice, Joseph McGuire of This is Not a Test is writing it.

Salcor
Yeah thats what gives me hope, TINT is a great little game, perfect post-apoc. If he hits the right feel with this and uses the TINT mechanics we could be on a winner.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »
Weird, I quite like Rogue Stars.  Didn't seem very complex to me, although it takes a few games to get a feel for the way the action system works.  Still, if you want something a little easier but thematically similar I'd recommend either Void Pirates or Blasters & Bulkheads from Four Color Studios.  http://www.four-colorstudios.com/void-pirates.html  http://www.four-colorstudios.com/blasters--bulkheads.html

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
A lot of games in recent times have suffered from misplaced hype.

So, for example, Frostgrave gathered pace amongst forums before and just after it came out as being "the new Mordenheim", in reality it plays nothing like Mordenheim and so some folk were disappointed.

Rogue Stars had the same fate. Despite Andrea sharing what the concept of the game was and that it differed quite a lot to SoBaH and the sci fi version of that game (the name escapes me), there was still quite a growing voice to call it Frostgrave in space or the new Necromunda etc etc etc.

In general, although positivity behind the hype is always welcome, I think it mislead a lot of people and therefore when they got the rules in hand and found it to be drastically different to what they expected it perhaps pushes them to reject it more readily.

I had to play a good handful of games of Frostgrave before accepting it's merits and seeing how it could be a fun game even though it wasn't the game I had expected. I suspect that Rogue Stars might be the same, the reason I haven't picked it up is due to the very small scale nature of it.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 10:49:55 PM »
Thank you for the Star Breach definitely looks promising.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 07:17:35 AM »

Rogue Stars had the same fate. Despite Andrea sharing what the concept of the game was and that it differed quite a lot to SoBaH and the sci fi version of that game (the name escapes me), there was still quite a growing voice to call it Frostgrave in space or the new Necromunda etc etc etc.

Although true, for me it was simply the very clunky mechanics and the disparity in detail. The game mechanics were just too complicated for a game that really didn't have much granularity. By that I mean, the only way to distinguish different shooting skills was to actually give a guy a special skill, the same with all other skills. This means that most troops were pretty much the same apart from equipment. This jarred with the depth of detail within the rules mechanics. It just struck me as very odd.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 07:34:26 AM »
In the moment RE is only a Name without information. What mechanism will be used? Card driven, only D6?
So, I wait for more details.

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/