Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Skirmish level rules for late Medieval  (Read 1444 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Skirmish level rules for late Medieval
« on: June 29, 2018, 09:57:55 PM »
All,
         I find my resistance weakening to the gorgeous late 14th century figures from Khurasan.  But, I have no idea what I would do with them.  I don't want to do armies, nothing more than maybe two dozen figures per side.  What is out there that will give a good, involving skirmish game, either solo or two player?

Nick

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: Skirmish level rules for late Medieval
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »
The group I play with is quite happy with Lion Rampant.  Units of 6 cavalry or 12 infantry (alternatively 6 foot knights or men-at-arms).  Play is fast and easy, rules are readily available from Osprey Games.  Armies will tend to be a bit bigger than your target of 24 per side, as that would be about the smallest number of troops you'd need - most armies would be larger than that, up to around 50 or so per side.

10 years ago, I was quite keen on the GW Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game, which was scenario-driven and very adaptable for all sorts of troop types.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:17:16 PM by Will Bailie »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:36:27 PM »
Another vote here for Lion Rampant, but it is unit based.

If you're looking for something more individual-based, you might try Chevauchee: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/181483/Chevauchee-Medieval-skirmish-campaigns

I haven't used them yet myself, but I have used the same 'engine' in other rules and they're quite clever. The beta rule set can be downloaded here, so you can try before you buy. 

The full rules are much expanded and include a thorough campaign system.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:47:13 AM by Arlequín »

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »
Take a look at Outremer: Faith and Blood, published by Osprey. 

Its a few figures either side with a campaign included. It is set during the Crusades, but I'm sure it can be easily modified to suit your needs.