Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What a Tanker made me do it... now with added...Krupp Steyr Waffentrager  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: What a Tanker made me do it... now with added Firefly IC
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »

Many thanks all, as I said, praise from hobbyists whose work I've admired on this forum is much appreciated :)
moiterei_1984 - as to the tracks; I believe they're representing the T48 double pin rubber chevron pattern - the track pads (the whole central section of the tracks) therefore got a coat of a mix (70-30) of Mig 032 Satin Black & 033 Rubber & Tyres. This was then given a drybrush high-light of the same paints in a 50-50 ratio (you could easily do this with your paints of choice, a black & a mid grey would be fine). I then put a line high-light on the rubber chevrons with the same paint mix as originally used, just reversed in favour of the lighter colour. The 'rubber' part of the tracks then got a black wash (in this case GW's Nuln Oil).
The end-connectors & guide teeth began with a coat of Mig 035 Dark Tracks (again, your favorite dark brown would also work - prior to this I used Vallejo VMC German Camo Black Brown 70.822, it's a similar colour) .this was drybrushed with a 50:50 mix of Vallejo VMC German Grey 70.995 & a mid silver tone - in this case Scalecolor 'Heavy Metal' SC-65.
Over this went a coat of AK Track Wash AK083 while the edges of the connectors & track guide teeth were rubbed with a graphite stick for a dull metal look.
 the final stage was the pigments - Vallejo again, 60:20:20 European Earth 73.119, Light Sienna 73.104 & Light Slate Grey 73.113 - several applications were required, letting the fixative dry between each. You could also substitute artists pastels for the pigments, they're just as good & much cheaper, coming in an extensive range of colours, you just rub against some sandpaper to create the powder.
 After this the whole vehicle got a coat of Windsor & Newton Professional matt varnish - hope that's of some help :)

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
All I can say to this is something along the lines of "Spreading the love on tank tracks since... "

Alot of work, but a great result. May experiment with it as well, so t(h)anks (see what I did there wink wink nudge nudge ah nevermind  lol ) for the info!

It's what I like most about this board. People don't mind sharing their know-how.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 04:39:34 AM »
@Ballardian: Thanks for the info mate! Well, that’s certainly a highly dedicated approach to your tracks  :o and the results are definitely well worth the effort.
My lazy inner self was hoping for something along the lines of „paint it X, give it a short dry brush with Y and sprinkle on pigments Z liberally“ though  lol lol

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: What a Tanker made me do it... now with added... Panthers
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »

moiterei_1984 & Kane, you're most welcome - the tracks aren't that much of a hassle, the process looks longer in print - honest ;). Also, for any tracks which don't have rubber track pads (pretty much everything bar some M4's, M3 mediums & M3 lights) you can entirely ignore the whole painting rubber section.
 Here are a trio of WG Panther Ausf A's I painted for a friend (apologies for the terrible photo, I should have taken some decent ones but didn't think about it at the time). I painted him their StuG IIIG at the same time (will get a pic) & while I quite like that model the Panthers were hard to enthuse over - I'd personally take the Rubicon offerings in preference (& now that they're branching into resin add-on bits, including sets of fully detailed tracks it looks like they're fixing the lack of track detail issue) - but opinions being just & only that, here they are (JgPz38t next).

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 07:26:44 AM »
Very nice.

The track painting method produces excellent results.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 07:38:45 AM »
Now, those Panthers certainly don’t look too shabby either  ;)
Not my favourite tank, but quite a beast nonetheless you‘ve certainly done it justice.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »

To continue on my WaT based roll, here's a JgPz 38t, also painted for a friend - in the same batch as the WG Panthers & StuG III. It's the venerable WG resin/pewter model (sculpted, I believe by this very own forum's Mainly28's - while it's largely been superseded by the Rubicon & WG plastic versions, it's still a solid little model, fun & very quick to paint.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: What a Tanker made me do it... now with added... JgPz 38t
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
Nice.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: What a Tanker made me do it... now with added... JgPz 38t
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 08:36:24 PM »
Very well done once more! The camo is the bees knees.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
 I recently finished (bar the crew figures) the excellent Rubicon/Heer 46 Krupp Steyr Waffentrager  - certainly the best resin kit I've ever dealt with - the quality & fit are so good you'd think it was hard styrene rather than resin.
 The only complaint I'd level against it is that it doesn't include crew (though they were easy enough to make from assorted other Rubicon & WG/Italeri crew models) & that the turret could've done with a little interior detail (again, easy enough to rectify, with some assorted bits of styrene rod used to represent the radio, fire extinguisher & interior stowage).
 I kept the paintjob simple & resisted the temptation to over-weather it - hope you like it & all comment welcome as always. (Will add another pic once I've installed the crew.)
In WaT it'll be taking the classic glass hammer role (they've got rules for a Nashorn - so it'll be a straight substitution), so I expect it to drive bravely out, shoot once & massively overkill something before exploding due to a sharp cough :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:58:26 PM by Ballardian »

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Splendid work once again! The weathering is spot on I‘d say  :o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Fabulous work on the Waffentrager  :-*

This latest round of Rubicon resin kits are an absolute joy aren't they? And you've more than done this one justice.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now

@ Captain Blood & moiterei_1984 cheers :)
 Yes, the kits are the best resin models I've ever handled, better than some styrene ones.
 Here's the crew-in pic as promised - again I tried to keep the crew models simple, I'd originally thought of using bits of the Rubicon 250/251 20mm turret kit, but quickly realised that given what you'd actually be able to see, there wasn't much point (after all, it's not a 1/35 kit). So I ended up just pinning the crew models to the bottom of the recoil guard.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Excellent paint job and interior.