Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need help with EIR scale cross-range  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Need help with EIR scale cross-range
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:23:32 AM »
Hi all,

I'm completely new to Ancients in general and am diving in with some Early Imperial Romans from Victrix, and have a couple of newbie questions about scale across ranges. I have been doing a bunch of reading and so far noticed that Warlord Games (the other plastic manufacturer of EIR) is horrifically out of scale with...just about every other manufacturer out there in the 28mm range (but particularly Victrix, which is unfortunate as Victrix probably have the best detail).

Does this apply only to Warlord's EIR Legionaries box set? I've noticed that the Warlord EIR Auxiliaries set seems to be the same scale as Victrix (even though they do their own auxiliary set). Are the following box sets at all close to Victrix scale?

-Warlord EIR bolt thrower
-Warlord EIR auxiliaries
-Warlord EIR testudo (important one this!)
-Warlord EIR metals (such as the Unleash Hell diorama, casualties and other characters)

I'm sure this seems common knowledge to many of the veterans out there, but I wasn't able to source direct comparisons with these kits in my own readings. If you're able to provide help/pics or know of somewhere it's already been done, I'd be most grateful.

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
Re: Need help with EIR scale cross-range
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »
I guess Legio Victrix were better nourished as children? Take a look at this:

Victrix Review

...and see if it is of any help. Here is one of several side-by-side shots:

< Warlord Centurion | Victrix Centurion >

Analysis of just the Centurion Shot. Their heads are close to identical in size. The Warlord man is 5 and one half heads tall; the Victrix man is a full 6, Maybe 6.2 heads tall. Real humans are 7.5 heads tall. Neither figure would look in Scale with a 1:1 size Roman Reenactor wearing the same gear.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:39:32 AM by Pendrake »
Pendrake

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
Thanks Pendrake, but I've already seen that comparison (and in fact it was partly what prompted me to make this post). My real question is if the Warlord EIR scale 'shrinkage' applies across all the EIR Romans in their range or just the Legionary box. Hence the specific sets I mentioned in my post :)

Appreciate the help though!

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
Got it. What you really need is a shot with one Victrix figure lined up with one Warlord figure from each of those sets you listed.
 :?

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »
If you do a search on google for Warlord Romans size comparison you will see lots of images. I think you will find any of the original Roman legionaries sets including the artillery set are small in comparison to all ranges. The Auxiliaries and officers sets are larger and will fit in with Victrix figures. There is a vid on youtube which shows some side by side shots  'Victrix Games 28mm Early Imperial Roman Legionaries Review' by Bart Breedyk.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »
Like John4000 and Pendrake said and showed there is a diference in scale wich is obvious.
Warlord plastic romans (all except the auxilia) mix well with metal EIR from Foundry (early range).
Warlord auxilia box mix well with victrix.
Other warlord boxes are the same size as their legionaires.
Hope this helps.

If you are starting with victrix legionaires i would wait for the auxilia to be released so that you keep all the scale and sculpt type. :)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 09:13:47 AM »
Like John4000 and Pendrake said and showed there is a diference in scale wich is obvious.
Warlord plastic romans (all except the auxilia) mix well with metal EIR from Foundry (early range).
Warlord auxilia box mix well with victrix.
Other warlord boxes are the same size as their legionaires.
Hope this helps.

I would say Warlords can mix with Foundry, (the original Perry castings not the Saleh types) but they are of a slighter build, the main problem is the shield is far smaller than Foundry's and it is a noticeable difference. Personally I would keep them in their own units and in a big battle they would all just merge into the crowd.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Great to have this community around when I need an expert opinion. OK, sounds like the Warlord EIR range is at least somewhat internally consistent with the exception of their Auxiliaries (good to know if I want alternative Auxilia). That's a real shame though, I'd hoped to get a testudo to introduce some variety in the 100 odd legionaries I had planned. I guess I can still use the Warlord artillery with replaced crewmen though.

Hmmm. Guess I should wait and hope Victrix release some more models suitable for the EIR range, particularly cavalry. Anyone have any idea what other models might be scale- and period-appropriate to use as Auxiliary cavalry in a Victrix EIR army?

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
Victrix has Roman cavalry coming soon!

Check their facebook page for more information. They often tease pictures of models to come and the EIR cavalry is number 2 or 3 in line to be tooled and released, which I guessing means late 2018.

If you cant wait you could probably convert something nice with the auxillary models and their Iberian cavalry (or the Numidian or 2 types of Greek cavalry).

I'd be interested in seeing how the Warlord plastic scorpion fits with Victrix legionnaires though...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:58:39 PM by Munindk »

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
Woooow those are something!  :o

I hadn't seen those before. Now I'm wondering about Fireforge cloaks and GS'ed fur pelts to mark them out as General's bodyguard a la Gladiator...

I'll keep an eye on their FB page for sure! Thanks for posting, now I'm uncomfortably keen for this project...

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:59:59 AM »
Or you could use cloaks from Victrix's gallic cavalry?

The cavalry kits are very similar, with the gauls wearing older kit and having beards being the main difference.

I've had a bag of their EIR advancing legionnaires in my cupboard since they were released. Too many projects...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
Woooow those are something!  :o

I hadn't seen those before. Now I'm wondering about Fireforge cloaks and GS'ed fur pelts to mark them out as General's bodyguard a la Gladiator...

I'll keep an eye on their FB page for sure! Thanks for posting, now I'm uncomfortably keen for this project...

Looks like you are now lost, Victrix has captured your soul....trouble is I might join you
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
Haha, Victrix might indeed have captured my soul. The chap whose miniatures they used as poster children for the EIR legionaries (also on this forum, just a few posts down) is also to blame.

I like the Gallic cavalry, but the thing is I'd rather keep it all strictly within the EIR aesthetic. So I think I'll have to wait a few months and see how much I enjoy painting the first batch of legionaries (for we all know I'll end up buying more, the thought of a whole century on the tabletop may be too much to resist).

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
The EIR cavalry has been announced as a September/October release :)