Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:53:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking For Hobby Lamp Painting Light  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Looking For Hobby Lamp Painting Light
« on: July 23, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »
Looking for a good hobby lamp for painting miniatures, will be used at my desk so no need to be light or portable. Any pointers?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Looking For Hobby Lamp Painting Light
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
I have had good results with a LED strip strung over my working place. 180 degrees diffuse lighting on your project shows up all the nooks and crannies.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 02:29:57 AM »

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:29:27 PM »
I've been looking around for an upgrade lately. I've more or less settled on two Unilux Mambo lamps - I find 3000 Kelvin a nice, balanced light temperature - not as warm as old bulbs, and not as sterile/blue as most led work lights. 460 Lumen cover my needs quite well. It's important to me that the armature can be bent around and manouvered. I'm getting two of them primarily for photographing my minis. And the Mambos look like the cheapest option that covers those bases.

So, not necessarily a specific recommandation for that lamp, but rather some thoughts on what to think about. Best of luck!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:03:54 AM »
Bloodsbane is pointing you down the right path.  Think about the light's color rendering and temperature (and cost and life span of the light source, too).  Personally, if I was going for the best situation, I'd seek to recreate 'daylight' to the highest degree possible.  Biggest challenge with that is that we normally use our minis indoors.  I'd still travel that path.  However, I currently have a mix of two small fluorescents and an incandescent - the latter gives enough heat to quick dry colors when needed (I use acrylics exclusively).

One day I'll adjust to the 'ideal'.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
I've got an anglepoise lamp screwed to the top of my painting desk, with a daylight bulb (used to be incandescent, but is now an LED daylight bulb).
Works really well, and can be moved as required to give you light form just the right angle.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 12:17:13 PM »
I got a daylight craft lamp from Lidl.
Bargain at under £15 and brilliant - clear white "daylight" illumination from the LEDs.

The challenge is they're not available all year round. I think I got mine in October last year.
Things *seem* to come and go on an annual rotation, so you may have to wait a few months.

I keep checking when I do the weekly shop as I want a second one for illuminating my light box.

Not my blog, but this is the one I've got:
http://rubbsalotsmancave.blogspot.com/2017/10/worth-buying-led-daylight-lamp-from-lidl.html

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
Worth every penny....

https://barwellbodyworks-shop.com/accessories/829-lightcraft-professional-task-lamp.html?search_query=Lamp&results=2

Thanks all for the good information and options,

for the moment the one shared by Dags is my favorite!