Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gaslands: Handicap for length?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Gaslands: Handicap for length?
« on: July 02, 2018, 07:20:23 PM »
First, sorry if this has been discussed, but I can't find relevant comments with 'search'.

I recently tried my second outing, this time with some modified cars of a friend's, and one of the players had a massive 'cowcatcher', and the front to back nature of the template use made the machine fly.

I believe there's been discussion on pros and cons of using bases to even the field, and I gather it's been pretty heated, on Facebook, but I don't do FB.

What I wondered was, has anyone suggested a handicap system? Perhaps, if the effective size of the vehicle is beyond a certain size, automatic hazards added.

Doug

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
Re: Gaslands: Handicap for length?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:30:09 AM »
Have you tried not including the cowcatcher in the movement? Maybe starting the template at the edge of the wheels or chassis?

William
Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »
This was one of the major problems I commented on in the beta and the author didn't seem too concerned with. The solution implemented was that trucks must have a separate cab which is used for movement... as you've found it solves nothing really especially when buses and stuff are a thing.

You could try using an end cap on the movement templates. So like outrider where you place an end point (like a rectangular template) at the end of the chosen movement template then remove the template and place the front of the vehicle aligned on the end point. It will reduce movement ranges but removes the issue of longer vehicles moving much faster.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
Have you tried not including the cowcatcher in the movement? Maybe starting the template at the edge of the wheels or chassis?

Would work, of course, but the extension is flush with the table, so the template doesn't slide under it easily.

I had in mind a gauge as thick as templates in use, with different lengths of openings; 'standard' would be moderate long wheelbase for Hot Wheels. Anything that doesn't fit would have the handicap. You could even have gradient handicaps for differing lengths.

Seemed one way of keeping the game mostly as is, measure and 'fix' overlong vehicles at the start of a game, or even 'season', something we're considering. I'd think it'd be justifiable, if just, as longer wheelbases seem to be less nimble.

Calls of 'fiddly' accepted, though I'm not sure Cait Sidhe's doesn't feel more so, even though it corrects 'more completely.'

Doug

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »
Just tighten your terrain up and use more of it - including more dropped weapons.  Bigger vehicles stink at maneuvering without clipping things, it's a balancing factor and shouldn't be ignored when setting up a table.  I've seen race tracks where (for ex) a bus or tank would have to either go around the long way or deliberately face several terrain collisions to power through the short route to the next gate.   

Alternately, start using the "minimum suggested size" bases for movement and be done with it. 

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »
Actually, there's also the fact that longer vehicles make for bigger targets...  lol

Doug