Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Do we still play those old games? Is she telling you to get rid of your stuff  (Read 4300 times)

Offline शेर खान

• Assistant
if the handbags and shoes were self-made, you could discuss hoarding space on equal terms...

besides, there is a very big difference between hoarding and collecting

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
I remind my love that I make (paint, modify, assemble, etc.) these things, not just buy them.

But she's right when she says I spend time with them instead of the family.  Got to grant her that.

Online fusilierdan

• Librarian
I justified the new bicycle I got last year by being run over while riding my old one.  lol

Already did that and it's not reason I want to use too often lol
Be careful out there.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Luckily, it was only just bad enough to justify getting a new bicycle...  ;) :D

'Course it's a big north American city here. Not the first time I've been hit. But I've generally got good instincts for that sort of thing. Been hurt far more doing dumb things all on my own, no traffic needed ("I'm sure I can make it down that ice-covered hill just fine...").  lol

Anyway, as much as other residents complain, biking in Toronto is heaps better than it was biking in Baltimore or any other US city!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
While my wife occasionally grumbles about the amount of stuff I have, we have divided up the available storage space between us, and as long as we don't encroach on each others space, it is fine.  She did find a box full of sabot bases on "her" shelves and I duly got it in the neck.  Luckily she doesn't like to go in the attic, ahem.

Tbh, my militaria takes up far more space than my wargaming stuff, we both have two extra wardrobes each. Hers has clothes and shoes, mine have uniforms, helmets boots and webbing.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
MBH doesn't mind the hoarding as long as the bulk of it stays in the loft. To be fair we only have a small house so no display cabinets for me.  :( Mind you, when I joked about getting an aquarium she pointed out the perfect place for it - my painting corner in the front room.  :?

To the original poster, thin out the hoard by all means but never, ever sell Space Hulk! Arguably the greatest boardgame GW ever produced.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
I am a widow, so no partner that gives me hell for my hobbies -my kids are like me, which means that we plan the "next army" together! It is a lot of fun... particularly now that they are young adults-. However, from time to time, I become aware that I have hoarded more than I can justify, even to myself, and start selling stuff that I am (mostly) sure I won't use anymore.  The goal is to use that money in completing projects that I really do want to move forward!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Collecting old games has become an integral part of the hobby for me, so the argument of 'not playing those old games' is moot in my case, as the games are not the excuse for getting miniatures; they're (one of) the core(s) of my hobby :D

I am in the lucky situation that I have a dedicated room for my gaming and hobbying. So, as long as the door can still open and close, there will be no challenges raised.

Besides; my wife has severe Imelda Marcos-syndrome; shoes, shoes and more shoes, and they're more in the way than my stuff any day of the week! lol

Still it's probably a good thing I ended up collecting miniatures and not more voluminous things, like beer bottles, or TV's, or bicycles. Or cars...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
Re: Do we still play those old games? Is she telling you to get rid of your stuff
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »
It's funny, I've just finished Christmas shopping (I know I like to get it done early) for 2018 which includes a reasonable number of scenary pieces and some miniatures.

Buying for the boys got me looking through all the lovely stuff online...and I was anguishing over buying myself something I've been after for years and actually thought was out of production. (Tau shield wall I'm talking about you). To get the bits I want comes to £100. Which, on one hand is a lot of money but on the other hand, given this is my main hobby, it's not a lot of money at all!

I think there is a level of angst about how much we have and what we spend but when I flick through photos from say 2015 I see the same figures I still occasionally game with. We might not be able to use all of it all of the time but by having it and respectfully storing it so it's not taking over more than our share in the house I don't see any issues!

Just make sure you both have fair storage space - I'd say the £700 I spent having a loft ladder and boarding put into the attic was the best money I've ever spent which is related to both the hobby and household possessions!!