Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686549
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Do we still play those old games? Is she telling you to get rid of your stuff  (Read 4299 times)

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
I've got a few friends from London staying with me and we've been playing a lot of Space Crusade, Talisman, Space Hulk and Warhammer Queast with all the supplements ( if you bought Dragons Tower on eBay you'd be looking at £200 for something that originally cost 20 quid. )

Now it's got me thinking, I can't be the only one who hordes. I'm called Closet gamer for a reason and it's where they mostly end up. I have a walk in wardrobe that you can put a queen size bed in full of crap, erm I mean full of collectibles. But I only end up getting any use out of said products when I tend to have friends around.

What I'm trying to say is, do I have a problem. My partner wants me to shift it all so she can use the space for her stuff. She makes a point that she doesn't horde crap. She wants to use it for her clothing like the handbag that cost £700 for a wedding that she used only once, or those £400 shoes or that clutch handbag that cost £300 that she bought for her sisters wedding that she only used once or that......... hold on a minute I see a pattern.

So should we be more restrained with our purchasing and think of others. Granted my house isn't a mess with crap everywhere. ( it in the walkin
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline Carrakon

• Assistant
I once sold some nicely painted Khorne Berzerkers to friend. One day he texted me "I'm so sorry!" with a link. He had sold them off and now someone else was selling them ona gaming forum... all overcoated in black and of course now 'unpainted'...

NEVER AGAIN!
If I were you, I'd rather be me.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Those are some expensive damn handbags, even by "Let's go SHOPPINNNGGGG!!!!!" standards. Yikes.

Blessedly, if my wife was given the choice between a £700 handbag and a £700 tabletop army her reply would be something like "Are you crazy? Take the army, obviously."

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
Your ‘partner’ needs to respect your space. And admire you for your inherent qualities: one of which is that you like board games.

The question needs asking, Are you with the right partner???
Pendrake

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
My parents and one of the sisters came over for the 4th of July and were a bit horrified by the number of minis, mostly painted but not all, in display cases covering the walls, paint stuff next to the wine glasses in the hutch, and so on.

They did some math and decided that I could sell all that stuff for $100,000.

I did some math and figured I spent about $10,000 over the course of 20 years, which is $800/year.

I asked if I should start riding motorcycles, collecting cars, or drinking, instead.

They stopped giving me a hard time.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
Oh, my wife regularly asks if I might consider cutting down on my collections. I consider it and then usually buy something instead. (I am hopelessly addicted to collecting things) I have many a game that I have not played in years (Panzer Blitz) and a few, not many, that I have yet to play. Hey they give me something to look forward to  ;D

I am fortunate to have a group of friends who I have been able to convince to play many of my old games and who bring their own to the table (the aforementioned Dragon Tower for example.)

As far as my hordes of lead and plastic go, I around 15,000 figs, many of them have not seen a battle for some time especially given my affinity for skirmish style games at the moment. Given that 80% of them are painted I do look at them from time to time and have some on display

So we will always have our detractors who think we need to divest ourselves of stuff but I say if it is something you enjoy then keep it.  :D 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:30:04 PM by warlord frod »

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
I have a small hoard of several thousand small scale things

Sometimes I paint, sometimes I play wargames or computer games, or board games etc.

It keeps me happy, distracted and helps give me something different to cope with the stresses and strains..

I think she also very much likes that my hobbies keep me mostly out of trouble and in plain site to.

The main point - all my stuff is in my "study" its my space, the space for my junk, not to be mixed with any of her things unless I am fixing said thing..

If she really needs that storage, consider selling some handbags etc to fund an extension....

It sounds like you get more use out of the board games than the shoes/bags anyway.

Or make an arrangement - one of hers, one of yours, eg

- Sell 1 handbag or a pair shoes, you sell, say, a 28mm mini you looked at only once  ::)

I must admit, selling is.. not something I give much thought to its my shiny precious thiings..  o_o

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Fortunately, Neotacha is as addicted to these sorts of things as I am, or at least close too it.

-Michael

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
If possible for a topic like this, please keep it civil.

Also, for the record, I am not at all fond of SWMBO-threads - based on experience, it always goes pear-shaped. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one, to all involved.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
My wife actively encourages me not to clear stuff out. We both have hoarding instincts and we both know it's entirely illogical. But, we like our things and we both want each other to be happy. So whenever I have a purge, she always tries to stop me being too extreme with it, so I'm only getting rid of that which I really don't want, not that which I think I should get rid of … but don't want to.

She don't really understand much of each other's hobbies, but we do recognise the passion we each have for them and appreciate at least a little of it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
One of my sisters once asked me when I would have enough models. I replied 'When will you have enough shoes?' she has never bought it up again :)
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
My partner and I respect each other's hobbies/interests, and trust each other to spend within our means, considering we both have separate incomes.
This SWMBO culture is completely alien to me, neither of us would pressure the other to get rid of stuff for the sake of it.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'll cut down on toy sowjers...

The day Herself cuts down on shoes an' bleedin' 'andbags!!!

lol
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
My wife never told me to get rid of stuff. She has picked up quilting which is much like the miniatures hobby in that you buy stuff incase you want to use it for something and when you decide on a quilt to actually make you need to get fabric for it despite the fact that you already have 100s of bolts of fabric.

I was hoping she would buy a $2,000.00 sewing machine so I could justify a new bicycle but she's too cheap ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
My wife never told me to get rid of stuff. She has picked up quilting which is much like the miniatures hobby in that you buy stuff incase you want to use it for something and when you decide on a quilt to actually make you need to get fabric for it despite the fact that you already have 100s of bolts of fabric.

I was hoping she would buy a $2,000.00 sewing machine so I could justify a new bicycle but she's too cheap ;)
I justified the new bicycle I got last year by being run over while riding my old one.  lol