Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 11:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Fleet Battle Campaign Rules  (Read 359 times)

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
Fleet Battle Campaign Rules
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
I'm thinking of starting a multi-player space fleet campaign and wanted to know if there were some workable campaign rules out there.
I want it to be more than a round-robin style campaign - I want players to have to make decisions on what to do and would, ideally, like it to be a map-based campaign.
I'd also probably like it to have resources as well, so that if anyone captures a 'site' they get a bonus, etc.
I suppose most of the above is fairly universal - whether the map is a star system or a kingdom it will work the same.
Anyone got any ideas on where I could find something? Even if it's bare bones and needs a bit of tinkering.
I know what I want, just don't know how to get there, so something to springboard from would be just as useful.
Cheers.

Offline YPU

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Fleet Battle Campaign Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
What you are describing sounds like "victory by any means" to a t.

http://www.vbamgames.com/victory-by-any-means/
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TimPopelier

Offline AWu

• mad scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
Yes, VBAM have exactly what you want.

But its also a meta system with 5X elements. But dont have to used in full.

Offline YPU

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
Oh yes, VBAM would be a case of it has everything and more, so you might need to put in the work to cut out what you don't want, instead of a good start that needs finishing like asked in the first post.  ;D

Offline AWu

• mad scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Thanks to this topic I clicked your link and I am downloading free age of sail campaign suplement. I hope its compatible with my 1st edition :P

I never managed to play it with starships as local interest waned at the time I get it but maybe I will manage to try it with frigates :>

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
Do you have a ruleset in mind? Sometimes, there'll be things developed that work best with particular rules.

Doug

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
Hmm...probably Starmada.

Offline YPU

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 03:19:46 PM »
Hmm...probably Starmada.

if so there is a specific VBAM book for that, no personal experience, not a huge fan of starmada's multi step combat. http://www.wargamevault.com/product/19370/VBAM-The-Starmada-Edition?it=1

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
Yes, thanks.
Not sure that's the one I will go for. Why should I need to buy the Starmada version AND the main campaign book?
Why not just put it all into one?
Well, I can see why, and that's why I find myself turning away.

I expect I'll probably end up creating my own campaign rules to fit. That way I get what I want.
I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who's done this.

Offline YPU

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
I can't speak to the first edition game, I've only read the second edition. However from what I can see, in general VBAM is a full game, you can play an entire campaign using those rules. Their combat system however is fast and simple, so you can play multiple fleet engagements after another to resolve the campaign turn. The suggested approach is that you pick the most interesting or balanced fight for the campaign turn, and play that in your preferred fleet game. Now VBAM somewhere describes itself as a beer and pretzels game, but I found it rather dense. Loads of options (which are quite interesting mind you!) for everything from smugglers and police cutters to diplomatic ships and the rules for how to engage them (think the tantive IV)

Starmada is also a game with loads and loads of fiddly bits. In an attempt to make a universal system they definetly went to exhaustive route. The extra book arose when somebody went "we have one game full of gears and bits, and another game choke full of them, now we need to make it so that each and every gear on either side interfaces perfectly!" which as you might imagine, does indeed require another whole book.
Each specific option from Starmada that wasn't specifically represented in VBAM is carried over so that stuff like killsats can be part of the simplified combat system of VBAM, while each trait from VBAM that doesn't have a direct starmada parallel is also translated. VBAM also has a progressing tech level trough the campaign, unlocking new ships stations fighters and ground units as you direct resources towards research. Now of-course you cant approximate this, no there has to be a system that combines the ship creation of starmada with the ship creation of VBAM one to one.

Its one of those projects I am in amazement of, but in the end it makes me go:  o_o

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 06:52:05 PM »
Not sure that's the one I will go for. Why should I need to buy the Starmada version AND the main campaign book?

Fair's fair, there are a lot of versions of Starmada; I've several myself...  ;)

You should be able to get by fine with the regular VBAM, and folks will have plenty to suggest, I'm sure. VBAM has it's own forum, as does MJ12, and probably worthwhile places to take a look.

I'm a big Full Thrust fanboy, so we'll leave it at that.  ;D

Doug