Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689290
  • Total Topics: 118270
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Romans For Telamon - Allied Triari  (Read 2129 times)

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Romans For Telamon - Allied Triari
« on: July 07, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »
The Society of Ancients Battle Day 2019 is Telamon. This epic clash between the Roman Republic and an alliance of Keltic tribes  took place in 225BC  so with a bit of reinforcement our Punic Wars forces will do the job.

http://wargamewarrior.webs.com/apps/blog/show/45801426-legions-assemble

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:26:48 PM by AdamPHayes »

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Re: Romans For Telamon
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
It's a great battle.

I set something up (based on Telamon) a few years ago with the intention of taking it for a day out - probably to Derby Worlds or Fiasco - but never did. Given that my possible (at home) opponents are limited to Romans and Carthaginians, it's the only battle I can use my chariots for.

Good Luck,

James

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
Cheers. Following your blog I was definitely intending to use that game as “inspiration...”  :)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 12:25:11 AM »
Looks rather hopeless for our tatooed friends with the moustaches.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:11 PM »
This is always an issue with refighting historical battles. Generally someone  lost in real life so should the same outcome be likely for a set of rules that is faithfully recreating the abilities of the combatants?  The Kelts gave the Romans a good fight at Telamon despite being badly outnumbered. They didn't seem to have an answer to Roman missile fire and the Gaesati suffered through lack of armour. We may have to add in a stratagem to our Piquet game that gives them a chance to "die with their boots on". It would seem suitable for a warrior culture in a desperate situation to have a chance to go down fighting. The Roman armies were unusually large for the time as well, so they are not in the main going to be veteran formations. The Allies could be a bit of a mixed bunch. (My Etruscans will flee at the hint of a bristling moustache, if past games are anything to go by!)

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »
Umm Games Day 2019....I already have most of the figures painted, I just need to rebase and add a few extras, like chariots lol

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Romans For Telamon - Allied Triari
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »
The metal Triari figures by Agema Miniatures were calling out for their own unit, so that's where I have started the Allied Alae (or "wings".) As there were only 4 poses in my pack of 6 figures I decided to bulk out the unit with some of the Agema plastics converted to be armed with the trademark spear of the Triari.

click here for a larger image

The metal figures are (from the left) no.s 4,6,7,9,10,11,12,13 and 15.