Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:16:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Furioso Al Fresco in 28mm  (Read 2251 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Furioso Al Fresco in 28mm
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »
A few of us got together in the week to run through a game using the Renaissance rules set 'Furioso' from Alternative Armies.

If you would like to know more then follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2018/07/furioso-al-fresco.html

Jonathan (JJ)
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Furioso Al Fresco in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:51:27 AM »
Super looking game and a great review of the rules as well, very nice!! :)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:16:45 AM »
Thank you, glad you enjoyed the read.
JJ

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:10:19 PM »
Thanks very much for posting this - I've wondered about these rules and your review is very helpful. May well take the plunge and buy them...

Also, as has been said, a fine looking game!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
Nice looking units.  I see some old stalwarts from Hinchliffe among them.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »
Bought the rules in hard copy (and the Italian Wars supplement) and they arrived today - splendid quick service, full marks to AA.

Reading through them now. I'd be looking at playing an English early Tudor force against French &c; I think the rules for billmen &c might need to be tweaked a bit for my purposes: as they stand, any non-pike armed infantry are effectively useless against cavalry, which seems a little harsh. There's a section in the close combat rules titled "Cavalry Slaughter Infantry"...

But that's a minor point, easily addressed. There's a wealth of fun period detail and what look like some solid core mechanics, so I'm very hopeful these will give a good game. My stuff, insofar as it's based at all, is based for the old WRG George Gush set, but there are some straightforward workarounds. I've been looking for a quick play set that will give some proper period granularity without all those marvellous old tables and endless factors (much though I love them, I'm a bit lazier than I was thirty years ago...) and these look like a strong candidate.

Now I just have to get on with some painting! AARs like this are a great encouragement for that, so thanks again.

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »
Really interesting post, just tried Italian wars with To the strongest,gave a good game but I would be interested in a period specific ruleset,I was put off as it seemed a bit skirmish and 15mm but yours is the second large scale 28mmAAR I've read recently and I've also picked up Pike and Plunder for a campaign I'll be interested to see how yours goes.
Best Iain