Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Keith's LPL12 Gallery  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Keith's LPL12 Gallery
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »
So, here they all are together, 9 rushed entries for this years LPL :-)
It's been great fun and some effort. The biggest benefit I've had from the whole exercise is to loosen up my painting a lot and be a lot less precious about things. Perfection is the enemy of done and all that ...

A nice steady start with some Footsore Romano-British. One of the first things I painted when I moved to Germany. Setting up for the 'row of figures' approach already!

These are a bit older and, like the first entry, only needed a little bit of work to be ready. At this point I was trying to give myself some buffer to work with later in the comp. First indication though that Copplestone would be the way to go if I get into timing issues ...

These Chinese are an ongoing project anyway so two birds with one stone so to speak.

... and here we get into trouble. This entry just refused to come together. Some really poor casting, a varnish faliure which left at least two figures out of the picture and a real nuisance to take the picture itself. This entry burnt time and caused a rush from this point on. To top it off I was completely owned by Plynkes with an astonishing entry in this round. Not the best week for motivation I must admit.

Back to Copplestones ... starting to really hack at my entires by this point.

Felt like I needed some volume at this point with voting startign to get a bit sketchy. Throw all the figures in and add a gun. Still not really telling any stories but at least somewhat dramatic. Love this period and campaign, even if the figures are a little 'impressionisitic' in their execution.

Sailors. Copplestone again - nice huge characterful sculpts which weren't too taxing beyond a few points where the moulds seem to be a bit old.

Sticking to Copplestone at this point :-). I've got my eye in and attemtping to channel Hugo Pratt or something just to keep the motivation going. Really starting to feel the burn at this point and having a crisis of confidence!

Finally done. I havn't painted 'classic' Romans for years and really needed to scratch the itch. Was really happy with the bronze on these and it was actually difficult not to make it glare horribly in the pictures it's so reflective. In all honesty just glad to have reached this point and prepared for the a Plynke's Cecil B Demilne extravaganza. With the time I had in this week I was just glad to finally submit someting late on the Friday.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:17:45 AM by Keith »
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Keith's LPL12 Gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:22:06 AM »
Excellently done matey  :-*
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
Well that's as good a portfolio as I think we've ever seen. Just superb. If I had to pick a favourite, it would be... um... all of them!

My only disappointment is that I didn't get to see my lads given the Keith treatment (I sent some minis to Keith to participate in Round 4, which, as fate would have it, was the round where we were pitched against each other). Apparently they were front and centre in the varnish disaster. I swear to you, Keith, they were not sent to Germany with orders to act as fifth columnists and sabotage your efforts.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
Haha - I should have guessed Dylan  :D
First varnish disaster in years too!

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:23:13 PM »
Oh, one other point (just to really underline my lack of preparation) the backgrounds are testament to how many times I could recycle a piece of card painted blue, some painted stones from the driveway, some sticks, a couple of railway trees and sand nicked from the local play-park.
I had so many other plans for the staging but local post and time went against me. Most of my interesting scenics are still packed in a box somewhere and are probabaly crushed to bits by now.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »
Outstanding work  :-* :-* :-*

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
Just terrific - all completed with real life going on steadily in the background. 😁

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
Sorry - I missed this until now!
Absolutely brill, Keith. Your painting is sooooo good. I love the fact that one can't tell the difference between the 15mm and 28mm - it's all executed to the same exacting standard.
Thanks for putting this portfolio together and sharing it here.
I now know where to come for inspiration on several themes.
:)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:55:51 PM by Captain Blood »