Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 426
Total: 428

Recent

Author Topic: Outlaw King - upcoming Netflix movie on Robert the Bruce  (Read 8474 times)

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
Re: Outlaw King - upcoming Netflix movie on Robert the Bruce
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2018, 02:31:29 AM »
Forgot to say they have some new Scots spearmen coming out - see their Facebook page for some painted examples - these are for the Wars of the Bruces range

https://www.facebook.com/antediluvianminiatures/

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Re: Outlaw King - upcoming Netflix movie on Robert the Bruce
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 03:59:05 AM »
I thought it was fine, which is to say better than a lot of recent attempts at pre-black powder historical epics, but not as good as the ones I enjoyed growing up and as a young adult.

I think that in the end it just felt very by-the-numbers, and also much more limited in scope than I had expected. I had kind of hoped for something that covered a longer period of time and ended more-or-less with Scottish independence (which to be fair would have to have covered most of his reigh, from what I gather), and instead we kind of just got the opening shots culminating in one big surprise victory for the Scots.

I also felt like in a couple of instances characters were lacking sufficient motivation for their actions. Two stand-out occurrences of, to me, unjustified "changes of heart" seemed forced for the purpose of pushing the plot forward or contrived suspense.

Anyways, all in all I didn't feel like it was a waste of my time, but I don't know that I'd recommend it or re-watch it anytime soon, either.