Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:22:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690743
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VBCW in the River Otter Valley, Somerset/Devon  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Tanker11

• Lurker
VBCW in the River Otter Valley, Somerset/Devon
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:42:20 AM »
Hello, I am new to the VBCW scene. Just bought a load of figures at Historicon in the US. I will set my games in the River Otter Valley running south from Otterford in Somerset to Otterton in Devon.
I would love to hear from anyone in that area! As you may have gathered, I like otters.

I usually play solo. I will base the games around a LDV force facing off against the other elements in the area.

My fearless leader's background (all constructive criticism is welcome...coming at this from an American point of view...not sure if my titles, geography, and timeline is all synced up).

Third Baron Otterford, Archibald Royston.
Commissioned during The Great War and posted initially to Palestine. Returned home after being wounded in a skirmish with the Turks. Served on the Western Front until the Armistice. Posted as a liaison to American forces in Murmansk in 1918. Wounded in a Bolshevik ambush, returned home to recuperate. Posted to Palestine again in 1922. Fought Arabs and Jewish settlers for several years.  Caused a scandal locally and a home by marrying Miriam Rutledge, the daughter of a wealthy Jewish trader. Returned home in early 1936 upon the death of his father and became the Third Baron Otterford.

As the current crisis involving the King unfolds, Baron Otterford feels mixed allegiances. Having married his own heart's desire, he sympathizes with the King, but has reservations about the influence of "That Woman". Having been a King's Officer, he could easily side with the royalists if not for the  fascist dominance in the government. While he could even live with that snake Mosley as Prime Minister, the thugs of the British Union of Fascists are down right ungentlemanly. At least they are not Bolsheviks! Not a religious man himself, Baron Otterford is a bit taken aback by the hardline stance of the Anglicans, glass houses and all. Traditions are important, but not worth the end of the Empire. Albert is a fine chap, a man could follow that honorable fellow if only his brother would step aside. Quite a mess all around. On the whole, Lord Otterford is just hoping the brothers Edward and Albert can come to an understanding and leave politics and religion in the gutter where they belong. God forbid, even the anarchists and Luddites have returned!

The clashes between the BUF, Communists, and Anglicans in Taunton have spilled over into the countryside. Time to take care of the people. And so was born the River Otter Valley Local Defense Brigade (ROV LDB).

Offline jony663

• Bookworm
Re: VBCW in the River Otter Valley, Somerset/Devon
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:01:52 AM »
A really good start.

I am not native to that part of England but a long time player in the Devon Cornwall area. I find it funny that I am replying as we may have rubbed elbows at Historicon.

As for the background. Make him a second or third son, as he is marring a Jewish women it make be stoped unless he is farther down the line of succession. Spanish flu or similar can than make him heir. Just a thought.

With a Jewish wife this will make enemies with the Anglican League and the BUF. Well down.
Regards Jon

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
Re: VBCW in the River Otter Valley, Somerset/Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »
Not quite a local, but familliar with the area. Nicely located with Tauton and Bridgewater to the north and east, Exeter to the west and the increasing important small ports of Lyme Regis and Exmouth to the south - lots of potential for outside influence to encroach on the Baron's turf. There is a 'lost' stately home in the Otterhead Esatate that could have been his (demolished by the Council in 1951, but what if....)

Background looks cracking to me - it's not unknown for older families to prop up the family finances by marrying money - Winston's mum for example. Since he seems a crusty old type who'd dammn and blast convention, a Jewish wife adds to his distatste for all things Facist/Master Race.