Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best SCW rules, with flavor  (Read 2700 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Best SCW rules, with flavor
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
All,
      So I've decided to take the plunge for the umpteenth time into the Spanish Civil War, blame Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman!. Probably going to go with Empress 28mm. I want a game for a platoon or less per side, that captures the character of the war.
I am aware of – Disposable Heroes/ Point Blank
                        Bolt Action
                       Chain of Command
What else is out there, and which do you folks recommend?
                                                                      Nick

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Re: Best SCW rules, with flavor
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
I've started collecting Empress Miniatures SCW with the intent of gaming using Combat Patrol.
I've tried Disposable Heroes (great scenarios) and Bolt Action (popular), but for me Combat Patrol gives the best platoon level gaming experience.

There are some great game reports @ https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/Combat_Patrol/Combat_Patrol_Front_Line_Reporting
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 04:06:18 PM »
I recommend 'World Aflame' by Paul Eaglestone AKA Empress Miniatures. Available from Osprey.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »
I recommend 'World Aflame' by Paul Eaglestone AKA Empress Miniatures. Available from Osprey.

Definitely second this ;-)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
I certainly like the price of "A World Aflame", as compared to all the books needed for "Disposable Heroes",  but the reviews I have read  seem to feel the rules are a bit fiddly.  At 67, fiddly doesn't usually work for me.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
We used to use Warhammer Historical's Great War rules, but we were playing bigger battles than platoon level.

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 06:50:22 PM »
I certainly like the price of "A World Aflame", as compared to all the books needed for "Disposable Heroes",  but the reviews I have read  seem to feel the rules are a bit fiddly.  At 67, fiddly doesn't usually work for me.

They're very old school - they certainly appear simpler than the other rules mentioned so far. Mind you, I've never played them...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 07:09:20 PM »
We use Peter Pig "Bayonet and Ideology", although we are in 15mm, but you can use them with other scales, as the rules use a squared grid (no range measuring)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 07:23:22 PM »
TooFatLardies Chain of Command hits the platoon-level requirement straight on the head, but might be a bit fiddly for you as well (I have not played any of the rules mentioned here including CoC).   The España supplement is highly recommended even if you do not use their rules.

I have an idea or three about using Nordic Weasel's WW2 rules for the SCW, either Five-Core or a modification of one of the "5 Men" sets.  Some time, when my table turns toward Spain again...

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »
A World Aflame are as complicated as you choose to make them. They do not work well for competition style games/ those wanting rules to cover every scenario. They are very much in the ”Charles Grant” style. I reckon this old school approach really works well for the interwar period (am now planning to use the same rules for 3rd Afghan War and Russian Civil War) but accept they are not everybody’s cup of tea. That said they probably work best at company/battalion level rather than platoon (Chain of Command work well for that size game in my opinion).

It’s worth pointing out I am a little biased as I helped with some of the play testing (prior to Osprey editing them). All I can say is give them a try and see if they work for you?

They are on Kindle if that helps!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 07:50:27 PM »
I 2nd the Chain of command rules for platoon level games. And then ether the 5 men in Normandy red or the black ops rules, with weapons tweaked for the era.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
I’m using A World Aflame Rules with my mates for our hyperthetical interwar campaign...my review is here...

http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-world-aflame-rules-great-antipodean.html

...they’re hampered by the Osprey book page limit but are easily adapted and have some nice features.

If I were to try something else I’d go for CoC or TW&T...
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »
Thanks all for the input.  I've got "World Aflame" on order from Amazon.  Now I just need to decide if I want to stick with 28mm and buy the Empress figures once again, or down size to 15mm.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
if it's not too late, Triumph & Tragedy is worth considering, particularly as it has a SCW supplement, though this appears to be out of print. The rules themselves have a distinct Pulp flavour, which may or may not be the flavour you require.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »
I would choose triumph and tragedy. There are some great pictured battle reports here at LAF. T&T has  unique activation rules. The rules definately have flavour! You get them at Empress.
, ,