Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 416
Total: 419

Recent

Author Topic: Frenzy 2  (Read 1058 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
Frenzy 2
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
I managed to make these 4 pieces today. I tried some different color spray paints.
First, I used my tried and true, Walmart Flat Black, as the undercoat on the light green bushes. After applying the 6 mm grass, I switched back to the Coco Brown as the final color, before adding the light green leaves. 

I did this for two reasons. First, the black adds depth and reflects the fact that the outer branches would turn a lighter shade, when exposed to the sun over time.

Second, is the fact that Walmart Flat Black costs 97 Cents a can.
Krylon "Coco Brown with Primer" will run you $ 7.99 a can.

Face it. We're a cheap lot, we terrain makers are. 
Use the cheap stuff to attach the static grass. Then give it a shot of the Coco color to finalize it.  I may tone this down a bit, with some medium green leaves.

Next, I tried out a can of Americana Satin Finish "Suede".  The finish is fine, because I use Dulcote, as my final step. I liked the way this came out. I used
a dark brown, slightly coarse, leaf turf on the lighter Suede color. I was attempting to portray berries. I might spray the bottoms of the bushes with a darker brown color, to give some contrast. A very, very light spray where the 
string is attached to the craft stick.

The Suede colored bushes has some Indians emerging from the thicket.
The Light Green colored bushes have some Hessian Jaegers patrolling the woods. I used these figures because I had them lying around, left over from other projects.

Hessians

I also hot glued Sisal string to another half dozen craft sticks. I'll work on those tomorrow.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Frenzy 2
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Those look great! The one with the jaegers reminds me of the hedge in my front yard when we bought the house. I thought they might look a bit artificial all lined up on a craft stick, but the irregular heights and texture keep that wilderness look.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:09:07 PM »
They look realistic! Well done!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 12:57:40 AM »
I do like these thicket hedges, not seen anything like them before, I plan to follow your tutorial and make some for myself at some point.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt