Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Pirate ship/Fleet builder: current model THE BRIG  (Read 21022 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
After my warm up exercises with cannons and rowing boats, I have decided to tackle my next larger project.

I want to create a paper model set to build a fleet with different sized boats in the "pirate" era. If all goes well, I will have everything from small rowing boats to huge galleons. I have a rough sketch of the different sizes I want to do.

The focus will be on easy build, good looks and lots of variations so you can build anything you need from small harbor scene to a full scale fleet battle. Deck structures will be optional, moveable parts like the cannons I have shown in another thread or these helm/steering wheel versions. That way you can glue them in place or modify your ship from scenario to scenario.

I have started with the small rowing boat and already completed the geometry of a larger rowing boat "jolly boat" and the smallest sail ship "gun boat".

For the rowing boats I have made these inlays where you can switch between a more realist look of the rowing benches and a more spacey one where you can insert minis. Or you just take the inlays out and use the "empty" boat as a tray for minis.

Here I have switched the jolly boat to use the inlay where I can squeeze 5 minis into the boat.

If you take out the inlay you can put in even more minis.

For the gun boat I was able to cram in all of these figures! I still need to make muskets as the boat is too small for cannons.

I have yet to decide on a solution for mast and sails. I think for the easy version I will go for a flat 2D version that you can insert into a mast stump on deck. But maybe I will also go for a full 3D detailed version.

What are your thoughts on this? What are the needs for gaming with masts? Do they only look good or do you need things like a guy in the lookout or line-if-sight on deck with someone behind a mast or sail?

Would love to hear some feedback from you!
Cheers,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:53:40 AM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Re: Pirate ship/Fleet builder
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 03:43:18 PM »
Here are some WIP pics of the first test build of the textured jolly boat. This is the just-wood look.  I want to make more color variations to build but for starters I went with the basics. Also there is no weathering layer yet, so it looks like it just was built new :-)

There are a couple of minor details I want to add in the texturing but other than that I think it looks OK now. Once I have added the other colors I will make some more builds.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:14:04 PM »
Perfect, admirable job!  :-* Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »
...For the gun boat I was able to cram in all of these figures! I still need to make muskets as the boat is too small for cannons...
Thoughts:
The boat in question could have a single cannon mounted in the bows. That was a common way to arm Longboats.

Muskets are equipment that would typically be carried by the figures.

The intermediate grade weapon between a small cannon (say a 6-pounder) and muskets is a “swivel gun”. You might build some of those. They’d be useful on all the craft you’ve made so far.

Other names for small boats: Jolly boat, Launch, Pinnace, Barge, (sometimes Captain’s Barge) Longboat, Skiff.

That largest design you have going might be described as a Cutter or a Schooner. But the difference between those two is more about the rigging than the size of the hull.
Pendrake

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 12:20:23 AM »
Yes, swivel gun is what I meant but I forgot the term. As they are quite small at this scale I am thinking about just doing a 2D version that you can attach to the sides.

Also thanks for the vocabulary update on the ship type names. It will go on my list to be used in later posts  :D

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »
Nice, where do we get one?

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »
You can join my Patreon for early realses. I'll be releasing the boats over the coming months. I have not made my mind up how I will go public once I have them all done.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:10:09 AM »
Here are some update pics on the variations of the jolly boat

I have built in a new wood look, an old wood look and some special color layers for outside and inside. Mixing these with the color modifiers (lighter, darker, warmer, cooler and bleached) you can build many unique looking boats if so required.

This is an old dark boat build. I have also added some smaller optional details, like metal stuff here and the bottom is textured too, in case you want to flip a boat over and use it for cover!

For the jolly boats of big ships I have included the option of a white and black outside hull and blue and red interior. For the outside you can then choose more details. Here I went for a white hull with blue interior. And on the outside I have a black strip and the top wood line. Again many options possible. Cannot build them all!  :D

Happy buildling,
Chris

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 06:33:42 AM »
They look perfect! You are doing a fine job! Cheers!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
You can join my Patreon for early realses. I'll be releasing the boats over the coming months. I have not made my mind up how I will go public once I have them all done.

Oh okay. i'd just like to buy the models, I imagine you'll let us know on here when and how. ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:53:21 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 05:13:19 AM »
Oh okay. i'd just like to buy the models, I iamgine you'll let us know on here when and how. ;)

Will do!  :D

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »
I have updated the small rowing boat to the "old wood" layer and built a light version.

This is a comparison to the jolly boat.

Of course my LEGO crew had to try out the boats!

And then my paper minis wanted to join in on the fun!!!

I am working on completing the dock modules now before I continue with the gun boat. That will be the first ship with mast and sails. So lots of challenges to tackle!  :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 06:14:08 AM »
very nice boats!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »
I have added docks now ... and set up this little dio to see how it looks  :D

I am happy how the dock modules turned out. Wasn't sure where I would end in the beginning but I can envision a couple of small and larger pirate harbors now  8)

BTW most of what you see is optional ... ropes, barnacles, dirt etc. you can turn it on or off as you like or need.

Looking forward to start working on the bigger boats soon!

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 04:44:01 AM »
Made a fun pic called "Waiting for the big ships" with what I have got so far :D