Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Pirate ship/Fleet builder: current model THE BRIG  (Read 21021 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pirate ship/Fleet builder
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
You are doing a fantastic job there!
And I see that you can slide the sails on the mast, so you can dismantle the whole thing in seconds!
Genious!!!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »
That's the idea  :D Don't know why I didn't think of this first, but this is a both easy to build and easy to handle. Once it is textured it should look great.

Chris

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »
nice solution for the rigging and mast
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 09:13:33 AM »

Of course - if you want to pimp up your boat - you can easily add thread lines or even replace the paper sail with a cloth one! But I am very happy that I have a pure paper solution.

Chris
I agree with tomrommel that you have engineered a good solution for a removable sail.

I am in the pimp the boat camp. I realize you are intent on making it pure paper. I do think if some optional construction methods were included it could go from a good solution to a great solution.

—What if the mast was a bamboo skewer (like those used for kebabs) ?
—What if the mast was paper, but it was a near perfect cylinder because it was made by rolling up a rectangle of paper in a tight spiral (rather like a rolled up newspaper...if those are a thing anymore  :? )
—What if a sturdy plastic drinking straw replaced the sleeve on the mainsail?

—The ratlines would look really good, and be stiffer, if they were printed such that there was an inside and an outside. (Fold, glue together back-to-back.) They would also be sturdier if they were two thicknesses of paper glued back to back. For that matter the sails kinda need to be a double thick surface, with sail coloring both sides.

—The ring at the top of the jib looks frail. Perhaps consider making it a much thicker tab. Also that is for sure a spot I would reinforce with a short piece of a plastic drinking straw. (Pipette? not sure how drinking straw will translate to Deutch?)

—Maybe include templates for flags? A Jolly Roger etc.
Pendrake

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »
These are many great ideas. I have toyed with the idea of using chopsticks to make wooden masts and sail booms. I will make the sails flat but if you want you could add "3D" booms. Bamboo skewers also should work fine.

The mast is a hexagon tube that has a triangle tube inside for strengthening. You could also roll up thin paper and use it inside for strength.

The whitebuild is a more "fragile" prototype. You are absolutely right, the final thing has have stronger rings. I just slap on more paper layers but of course you can use any material like drinking straws to make the rings more durable.

The ratlines and the sails will be double sides. They have to look good from any POV  :D But also it will strengthen the parts. I found the pure paper ratlines to bend a little and was thinking one could add a wire in between the two layers to make it more straight.

I am building the textured ratlines right now so I will have pics on that soon.

On the top of the mast I will make a little extension mast (pure paper of course but could be replaced with a toothpick!) where flags would go, like the famous pirate skulls one. I will provide parts for that too.

I think if you want customize the ships there will be many options to make a "hero" model. It will depend if you want to build a couple of ships to form a small fleet or you want to build a centerpiece model.

So today I want to show you the customizing options.

The ship will come with two basic wood skins. One is a lighter wood with dark details and one is the opposite. But then you can change the colors of different sections.

Here you see the two starter skins and the different sections that you can customize. Each of these (color coded here) you can change to red, blue, green, yellow, white and black. This will give you gazillions of options for unique boats. Mix that with the usual color modifiers I provide (darker, lighter, warmer, cooler, bleached) ... I don't even know how to calculate all possible options  :D

So this build has a blue hull with yellow top rail and top line, a dark blue bottom line detail and a white bottom hull. Once I add the weathering to reflect dirt and scratches it will look even better!

OK, on to finalizing the sail rig and textures. I will leave the swivel guns for last, but adding these will turn a regular fishing boat into a menacing pirate ship!  ;D

Chris

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 08:44:57 AM »
that looks really good

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »
It is coming out beautiful! Keep them coming!

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
Six colors. Five modifiers + unmodified?. Two customizable zones. Two available wood tones for the rest.

6 x (5 + 1) x 2 x 2= 144 possible colour schemes. If the hull bottom can be any of several colors that will push the number of combinations up.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »
Any chance of selling bare templates for those of us who'd want to make them out of card or balsa/popsicle sticks?  You've really nailed the look and feel, but besides being clumsy as all get out and horrible at assembling paper models, I just prefer something a bit more solid.  Either way, really excellent work.  :)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »
Any chance of selling bare templates for those of us who'd want to make them out of card or balsa/popsicle sticks?  You've really nailed the look and feel, but besides being clumsy as all get out and horrible at assembling paper models, I just prefer something a bit more solid.  Either way, really excellent work.  :)

You can switch off all the colors and textures and just print the lines! Is that what you need?

Six colors. Five modifiers + unmodified?. Two customizable zones. Two available wood tones for the rest.

6 x (5 + 1) x 2 x 2= 144 possible colour schemes. If the hull bottom can be any of several colors that will push the number of combinations up.

Ok, let's see if I can do this. These are the combos:

2 basic versions
5 modifiers
4 customizables in 6 colors
2 bottom hulls (black and white)
1 dirt layer (coming up)

But I don't think you can just multiply them all, can I? I made a chart and for the 5 modifiers alone I come up with 32 possible combinations. That's probably 2 (on or off)^5 (choices).

The chart for the customizable colors was too big  ;D but I am guessing 6 (colors) ^ 4 (customizable areas) ... that's 1296.

So I think it will be in the area of 2x32x1296x3 (no/white/black bottom hull)*2(no dirt and weathered) ... 497.664 options? Not sure about including the "non" option for the last two items, but even without it would more than 100.000 options.

Should be enough for a fleet of unique looking vessels!  :D

And I haven't started with variations for the sails!!!

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »
Here is a look at the textured mast and ratlines for the gunboat.

This is a detailed cut of the ratlines.

Here I have just cut the outlines. It's a little simpler and sturdier but has the black area inbetween.

When you want to store it away in a box, take it all apart!

With the dual layers glued (inside and outside) the parts are quite sturdy. I have used 160gsm paper so far, except for the ratline holder on the side. These I have doubled up to make them stronger. The sails will even be 80gsm (office) paper, so that the sails wont get too thick and heavy.

Going back to texturing the sails now  :D

Chris

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »
These are really fantastic - can't wait to be able to purchase them. keep up the fantastic work. I take it like the Japanese buildings they will be available on wargames vault?

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 03:38:27 AM »
Those ratlines look good. Really good. I could see those being used instead of strings and such on non-paper models. Seriously, a ratlines kit... ...a whole page of assorted ratlines... could be useful.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 05:16:48 AM »
These are really fantastic - can't wait to be able to purchase them. keep up the fantastic work. I take it like the Japanese buildings they will be available on wargames vault?

Later yes. For now only via my Patreon because I want to do a kickstarter, once I have all vessels developed. Probably beginning of next year.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 05:18:27 AM »
Those ratlines look good. Really good. I could see those being used instead of strings and such on non-paper models. Seriously, a ratlines kit... ...a whole page of assorted ratlines... could be useful.

Never thought about it, but great idea. I will do the classic three and four line wide ratline pieces for the larger boats ...