Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:14:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any news on Avolak Casting?  (Read 6003 times)

Offline lugiber

• Bookworm
Re: Any news on Avolak Casting?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »
I'd also like to know what 's happening with the board game!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
There's a board game?

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Glaaki are, and why they're desirable - I don't see any in the catalogue.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Glaaki are
- Glaaki is one of the slightly lesser known Great Old Ones, from Ramsey Campbell's Mythos stories (its the gribbly in "The Inhabitant Of The Lake")
 The Avolakia mini looks good (& is suitably large) but I don't know what's currently going on with the site/store.
 He had talked of doing a game to tie in with his minis based on the Randolf Carter stories, but again, I don't know what happened with it.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't read any of Campbell's Mythos tales, so have never encountered this beast.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »

Campbell's certainly worth a read if you enjoy Mythos fiction, 'The Inhabitant Of The Lake' introducing Glaaki & 'Cold Print' doing the same for Y'Golonac (who AC also do a nice mini of).

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »
That's interesting. The only non-HPL Mythos stories I've read were by Robert Bloch. By his own admission, these - other than the later novel Strange Aeons -  are not terribly good.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 08:47:17 PM »
In that case you need to read Clark Aston Smith too

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

At the risk of turning this into a thread on the relative merits of HPL's successors, there's a lot of quite to very good modern treatments of his ideas (& equally quite a lot of dross). The flexibility of the Mythos has tempted hundreds of writers (Stephen King has written a couple - 'Crouch End' & 'Jerusalems Lot'). Personally the fairly recent collections curated by S.T.  Joshi (Black Wings Of Cthulhu Vols 1-5) & Ross L. Lockheart (the Book Of Cthulhu, vols 1 & 2 - the first volume contains one of my favourite modern Mythos stories 'A Colder War' by Charles Stross, who also writes the very entertaining 'Laundry Files' HPL influenced series of novels).

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »
I've been exploring the Mythos and HPL-influenced works haphazardly, but as far as HPL's contemporaries and near-contemporaries are concerned, I've somehow never got beyond Bloch (or even managed to finish Mysteries of the Worm.) I've read Joshi's book about the Mythos, but not the anthologies he's edited. One problem is that many of the books I'm most interested in, such as Bloch's Strange Aeons, and Manly Wade Wellman's The Hounds of Tindalos, are out of print, and difficult to find at reasonable prices.

By chance I've just started reading a new collection by Joyce Carol Oates, called Night-Gaunts and other Stories . Only the title story, which I haven't read yet, has any connection with HPL, though his poem Night-Gaunts prefaces the collection.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
The situation remains unclear with this manufacturer, judging by my experience. I've made two requests for an updated invoice over the past few weeks, without response, so it doesn't look like I'll be proceeding with my order, at least until whatever issues they have are resolved.