Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetor's Man O' War: The Seventh Sons 01/09/18  (Read 6166 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Cheetor's Man O' War: The Seventh Sons 01/09/18
« on: July 15, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »

A few months ago I decided that I should be working on fantasy pirate related projects.  Within days I had surrounded myself with other toy soldier enthusiasts desperate to ply their vicious trade on the miniature seas.  So I had to get a miniature sea together for starters.

Firstly, I spent a weekend sitting outside in the sun painting the terrain from the 2011 GW game "Dreadfleet", plus the three monsters in the set.  Opinions of the Dreadfleet game tend to be negative and can be read elsewhere, but say what you like about it, the entire production looks absolutely gorgeous.  This applies strongly to the terrain in the set.

Those islands and rocks were joyous things to paint: a tiny world full of volcanoes, sacrificial temples, magical stone circles and shipwrecks.  The "Dire Straits" had become a tangible location, ready for some buckswashling.  This blog post has more info on those items, for anyone inclined to take a look.

The next thing was an idea that theottovonbismark had about a decade ago.  I had zero interest in the idea back then, but times change, and so I took a fairly innocuous piece of turn of the century Citadel Miniatures terrain and created the coastline of "Michael Bay".

Tackling the terrain first in a project like this is a good plan in my experience. 
Every game will use the terrain, not every game will require those protagonist models that you want to immediately get stuck into.

Painted miniatures without painted terrain are close to useless anyway, so getting the tabletop ready to represent various idiotically named locations for future battles gave me far more early satisfaction with the project than I would have got from painting a fleet with nowhere to sail.  There be more information and images re the coastline pieces here.

Excluding the three sea monsters from Dreadfleet that I painted while painting the terrain, the first actual gaming pieces that I have finished are... also sea monsters.

The Man O' War "Monsters of the Sea" set of figures was very appealing to me when it was released in 1993 or so, but fantasy naval warfare was not on my agenda at the time.  It's still a kick to go back to models like that and slap some paint on them quickly.  More images and info about the Monsters of the Sea here, for those inclined.

Next up... a ship or two, but likely the other set of sea monsters.  Then ships for certain.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:05:36 PM by cheetor »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Cheetor's Man O' War
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
Splendid  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
This is awesome.  Reminds of me of when I could get people to play Uncharted Seas at my FLGS.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »
Very nice, perhaps this will inspire me to crack the seal on my box of Dreadfleet! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
Stunning work on those old but rather splendid models - I used to love the way they looked like the sea monsters on old maps.  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline theottovonbismark

• Librarian
  • theottovonbismark.wordpress.com
    • TheOttoVonBismark
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »
Lovely work on these guys.  Looking forward to seeing the rest of the monsters.

I never connected the models with the classic map illustrations before!
Otto

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress.com/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 07:02:04 PM »
“Michael Bay”?  lol lol lol

Cracking painting! :-* I’ve still got a dark elf fleet somewhere, unpainted.

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:00:11 PM »
It'll be full of overblown explosions in no time! Amusingly my little group have been talking about something similar this week..

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 02:57:39 AM »
This is so great!!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 06:38:12 PM »
Wow! What an awesome looking bunch of minis.  :-*
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline noigrim

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »
Fantastic critturs! Personally I'm a fan of dreadfleet's ships and can go quite cheap on the net, I'm torn between beginning or not a new fleet of undead with floating necropolises and ghost ships, plus zombie pirates!

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 11:12:10 PM »
This looks amazing. Is the sea surface painted? ...painted cloth? ...a lucky find at a fabric store?

// Wonders if some of the smaller ships from Uncharted Seas could be press ganged into service for MoW.  //
Pendrake

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
Very nice. I like the highlighting on the water elemental. Amazing!

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 12:05:25 PM »
The Orc Frigates from Uncharted Seas make good Drilla Killa's. I picked some up to bulk out my Orc fleet and try to outweigh the 12 Chukkas I have, lol.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 06:29:04 AM »
This looks amazing. Is the sea surface painted? ...painted cloth? ...a lucky find at a fabric store?

I think it’s the battle mat that comes with the GW Dreadfleet game.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:31:15 AM by Andym »