Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 636
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SYW Honours of War - Bridgehead - Fighting Retreat 12.09.18  (Read 12006 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: SYW Honours of War - Advance Guard - C. Grant's scenarios
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 06:18:31 PM »
Turn 7
One of my two battalions guarding the bridge, dash forward, attack and overrun the Prussian battery!

My two batteries, turn and shoot the Hussars, they receive 4 hits and retreat!

But... wait! I see in the picture a new Prussian Heavy cavalry regiment near the retreating hussars!

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 06:34:05 PM »
-Will anybody tell us what happened with the reinforcements? Briskly asked my other self.

-Well my lad, I answered politely.
Although you have not sufficient military education to understand the depth of the situation, I thank you for asking, your question was strategically well posed in place and on time!

(At times I had the feeling I have a double personality, but after years of self-knowledge exercise, I may tell you that all three of us are doing perfectly well!)

Scenario reinforcements on turn 6

Before turn 6 to start, the scenario provided us to reveal two previously unknown cards. (Please see scenario settings)

Panos got one Heavy and one Light Cavalry Regiment, entering on turn 6.

I got one Howitzer battery entering on turn 6 and one superior Line Infantry battalion entering on turn 9.  >:(  :'(

Picture: The situation seen from the French side, in front of the bridge

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:11:17 PM by DintheDin »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
My formerly isolated battalion, constantly retreating, managed to stay alive!

Panos was afraid to commit his cavalry to charge, as my howitzer battery (plus one more) was in the vicinity!

After the battle, this battalion added to its battle honours a hare's foot, a horseshoe and a Lucky Clover!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »
My Royal Baviere, superior Line Infantry, entered on round 9 but was unable to shoot a single bullet!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »
The Prussian cavalry, still pressing the said battalion, still retreating, but recovering hits with the presence of my C-in-C.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »
Round 12!

Panos had four units destroyed and I had lost three.

Prussian hussars run back like the wind to secure the town, their main objective.
(Ok, they were not Prussian, but French impressed into the service of this game  :D )

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
Panos makes his last effort to win the game!
On turn 11 he moved his jagers, a light battery and a Light Horse to attempt to capture the walled farm near the bridge, his secondary objective!

One French battalion attack the audatious Prussian light battery, but are repulsed.

Last picture of the game!
Having taken the move initiative, and before I could react, Panos Husars fall on my Chasseurs de Fischer Light Infantry, the only unit guarding the farm walls! The only other battalion in the area, was unable to move, reforming!
I would not evade with my light troops, the Hussars received a volley, then charged.
The lights stood firm.
The dice were cast. The Hussars received total five hits.
It was Panos fifth and last loss.
Game over. On a razor's edge!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:14:18 PM by DintheDin »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2018, 06:45:32 AM »
HoW uses an average die for the hits table, so, it is a rare occasion Panos did not manage to bring a 6!  lol

I would like to greatly thank Panos for this game, he is a veteran wargamer, distinguished in competitions here and abroad and it is always a joy to meet him in a game!
And so thrilling this was!

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
Re: SYW Honours of War - Advance Guard - C. Grant's scenarios p.3
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »
These Charles Grant scenarios are so well crafted. I remember getting his solo gaming book ("Programmed Wargames" or some title like that) and being amazed at the multitude of options the games had- his terrain generation section was absolutely brilliant.
Aris K.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
I'm slowly and carefully reading the whole lot, trying to adapt a number of them for WAS or SYW.
There will be more gems to be put on the table!

Thank you for commenting!

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
I'm late joining this thread but you're preaching to the choir here!  CS Grant scenarios and SYW armies- the way things should be done!
Been playing with toy soldiers since the mid 70s.  Not planning to grow up any time soon.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
I'm late joining this thread but you're preaching to the choir here!  CS Grant scenarios and SYW armies- the way things should be done!

Ok, this is one of the best comments I've ever received, thank you!
I intend to continue this thread as we play another CS Grant scenario, with SYW armies, of course!
Cheers!

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2018, 12:53:23 AM »
Glad to hear it!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2018, 05:23:24 AM »
Glad to hear it!

I will also be glad to hear from you, posting your SYW stuff and battle adventures!
Cheers!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: SYW Honours of War - Bridgehead - Fighting Retreat 12.09.18
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »
Bridgehead - Fighting Retreat

Last Saturday, PanosM and I, played a SYW battle with French vs Prussians and British using Honours of War rules.
Bridgehead-Fighting Retreat

Ok, this is not a Charles Grant scenario as I've promised to be putting in this series.
I had seen sometime before a similar setup and I thought about a scenario that had to solve the problem of an orderly retreat through a choke point.
I hope you may find it interesting.

The French army has been beaten in a previous battle and now the French High Command has instructed the leader of the rearguard to make a delay action.
The French commander has ordered a fortified line to be built parallel to a road leading to a town. The town is also fortified.
Ha has also send some skirmishing troops to guard a walled convent.
A regiment of Hussars is posted to his extreme right and another cavalry regiment is kept as a reserve
His infantry is posted along the fortifications together with some light guns.
The guns have ammunition only for 4 rounds, so they must spent it carefully.
The city itself is manned by a grenadier battalion.
The French must make concerted moves so that their units abandon their positions
one by one and make an orderly retreat passing safely via the bridge to the other side of the river.
The road is passing through the city, so the city must be defended until the end.
Much care must be taken so that the units falling back via the bridge keep spaces between them,
it is obvious that any other unit retreating or routing through them will cause a domino effect
of many more panicky units and the bridge will be the choke point.

The Prussian and British advance guard commanders have orders to attack the enemy
by all means and prevent as many French units as possible from crossing the bridge.

Here is a picture as map of the game, viewed from the French side.
The fortified road and town and a walled convent with enclosures for cultivated land.
The approach of the Prussians is covered by a hill.
The Prussian and British guns are limbered on the roads leading to the town and the convent respectively.

The Prussians have orders to press the fortified road and the British to secure the convent and take the town.
If they coordinate their forces it is sure they will succeed, the French won't last long,
they are low in ammunition and every round their defensive perimeter will be shrinking.
If the French are careless, even the Allied cavalries may catch them on the run!       
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:03:25 PM by DintheDin »