Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:23:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689266
  • Total Topics: 118268
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Glasgow Uni aim to hold re-enactment Battle of Waterloo using 20,000 figures  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Glasgow University aim to hold a re-enactment of Battle of Waterloo using 20,000 figures, here is the news item:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44845892

I can't access the volunteering group website link from work that is within the article so not sure what scale they intend to run with but this looks like great fun!

Have a suspicion that some users of this forum could 'donate' quite a few units already painted haha!

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
I think some people could supply them with all they'd ever need right now!

Wish I could do something as an Aussie to help out.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Napoleonics seem to still be popular from the wargaming clubs and shows which I've been along to here recently. I suppose it'd be up to the clubs to arrange some method for transporting their collections over, with some justification for them to show up other than just going to that even (or having someone bring along the other player's collections).

It seems like my club (which is the biggest one in the country) only heard about it through the BBC. You'd think whoever's organising this would have been proactive enough to turn up to a club night, or post on the Facebook groups to advertise the thing.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
As you say... I am genuinely surprised that there has been no canavassing support on any forum....

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
The real points you probably want to know... :)

Setting a World Record for the biggest 28mm table-top historical wargame ever played - (c. 22,000 28mm figures in play).

Warlord Games have been very supportive as a sponsor to 'The Great Game: Waterloo Replayed' in a wide range of ways.

'The Great Game: Waterloo Replayed' is using the Black Powder rule set, which is used internationally for Napoleonic wargaming. It is very helpful that one of the Black Powder supplements covers The Hundred Days campaign of 1815 in detail.

Players will be participating at the Brigade level. They will typically have three or four battalions and a battery of guns. Each battalion will be split into three 24-man units (as defined by Black Powder). So, for example, a player with three battalions in their brigade would provide nine 24-man units of infantry (for a total of 216 figures) and a battery of three guns. Some-one with four battalions in their brigade would be fielding 12 units of infantry, with a total of 288 figures.

Detailed instructions on basing and painting will be issued once you are accepted into the game.

You will have more chance of being immediately accepted for the game if you have less common troops such as Dutch-Belgians or Prussians. Alternatively, you might like to indicate that whilst you have French Imperial Guard, you would be willing to paint up a brigade of troops as asked for by the organisers of The Great Game, or you can indicate alternative brigades in your collection which you might be prepared to bring.

(from this page and a few others)

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm

It seems like my club (which is the biggest one in the country) only heard about it through the BBC. You'd think whoever's organising this would have been proactive enough to turn up to a club night, or post on the Facebook groups to advertise the thing.

Indeed. I've recently picked up a French force for Sharp Practice.

For the Retreat from Moscow. Not Waterloo. Would have been nice to have known before! :)