Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:07:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686657
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Brothers sculpting seminar at Historicon 2018 (with pics)  (Read 2855 times)

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
I was lucky enough to attend the Perry Brothers sculpting seminar at Historicon 2018 and it was the highlight of the show. Alan and Michael Perry were incredibly gracious and answered all questions.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/w13uYal

Some of the things they discussed (from memory as I didn't take notes, so please correct any mistakes if you were also there):
  • Upcoming releases include Agincourt mounted knights and light horse, which look stunning, and US WWII troops.
  • Their favorite period is 18th through mid 19th century.
  • Now that they work for themselves they are free to take on projects that interest them. For example, Michael had never heard of the Carlist Wars until he was vacationing in Spain. After seeing a plaque for a British soldier he researched it and the brothers released a line of Carlist miniatures.
  • The Perry brothers usually sculpt on their own. It takes about a week to sculpt six figures. These days they mostly work with "three-ups": miniatures are sculpted tree times the intended size. A third person uses a machine to re-draw all the lines and reduce the miniature to 28mm.
  • The Perrys work as a family. Michael's wife is a professional costume designer / seamstress with her own BBC show. Family conversation: "Does this jacket have seams up the side?" "No!" Alan's wife runs the administrative side of Perry Miniatures.
  • Michael did not address the loss of most of his right arm and no one asked. Still, I sat right next to him and it was truly inspiring to watch him work. He's just as efficient with his left hand as anyone is with their right. I can only assume it's a testament to his love for the craft.
  • They've done lots of work for Peter Jackson and many of the stars of LotR and Hobbit get engaged in the outcome of their miniatures. Viggo Mortenson was not thrilled with his midriff. The Perrys had to explain the shirts poof out above the belt when one leans forward.
  • Peter Jackson relaxes by painting Perry sculptures commissioned especially for him. I believe they said he prefers 54mm.
  • Peter Jackson called them in December 2014 and asked them to create a diorama of Chunuk Bair by April. "Great," they said, "which year?" 2015, of course! Which was the 100th anniversary of Chunuk Bair. Peter's feedback as they progressed was positive, but he always asked "Could you make it bloodier?"
  • The Perrys were headed to Gettysburg and Antietam. Michael thought (rightly) that Antietam provides the better opportunity to visualize the soldier's experience. That bridge!
  • My own personal project is the Prayer Book Rebellion of 1549. When I mentioned it to Michael he instantly said "Oh you'll want to run the Battle of Clyst St Mary," which is exactly the battle I was running at Historicon. Both brothers were walking encyclopedias of military history yet wore their knowledge lightly. Their father was a carpenter (later an electrician) and their mother was a painter.
  • They mostly leave the painting to other folks at this point.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Perry Brothers sculpting seminar at Historicon 2018 (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:22:02 PM »
  • Upcoming releases include Agincourt mounted knights and light horse, which look stunning, and US WWII troops.

Ooh, do you know if the light horse are part of the same box as the knights, or a separate release?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
You took some very nice pictures; thanks for sharing them.

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:23 AM »
You took some very nice pictures; thanks for sharing them.

Thanks, happy to share.

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 02:14:51 AM »
Ooh, do you know if the light horse are part of the same box as the knights, or a separate release?

Golly, I didn't think to ask. They showed a picture with what appeared to be 5 poses: 3 lances, 1 sword, 1 bow.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 01:08:20 AM »
These days they mostly work with "three-ups": miniatures are sculpted tree times the intended size. A third person uses a machine to re-draw all the lines and reduce the miniature to 28mm.[/li][/list]

This only applies to their plastic sets though : the greens for their various metal ranges are 28mm tall and not reduced mechanically. The three-up method is dictated by the technical requirements of the tooling process involved in the creation of plastic figures. 

• Michael did not address the loss of most of his right arm and no one asked.
This is a subject he's discussed quite openly over the past 20 years. The reason he didn't broach it at Historicon is probably that he feels it's old news now (his reenactment accident occurred in 1996) and he doesn't have anything to say about it he hasn't said many times over already. 

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
Charlie
Without 'giving the game away' - options on sprue for lighter/supporting troops.
Shouldn't say more before official Perry news...
I have seen 3D sculpts and they're tremendous!
Simon.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
Are there more pictures of the HYW mounted figures anywhere.

I saw one or two pictures several months ago but nothing more.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
Not seen any since Salute preview......
....but possibly could be quite imminent(ish)....??

It'll be a packed sprue.  :o

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
They look impressive  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 04:58:48 PM »
Oh wow!

That mail bard is very well done, getting it to fit over the existing horses is a very good idea.

Apparently has 12 different bodies, with 6 different separate pairs of legs! Makes the WOTR heavy cavalry set look a bit limited.... Come on Perrys, give us some more later 15th century cavalry plastics with a similar ammount of options!

I'm scouring it for pieces which I could use on my later 15thC stuff... I'm thinking those horse heads should fit in quite well for added variety, as long as no one looks too closely...

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 07:20:40 AM »
I was lucky enough to attend the Perry Brothers sculpting seminar at Historicon 2018 and it was the highlight of the show.
That is only because you didn't get a chance to meet up with me. ;-)

Funny enough you was there for their sculpting seminar. I was there at the booth when they were being scanned to be sculpted in the Dealer's Hall.

Grimm

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
Michael left addressing the subject of his arm till the next day, with this graphic demo:

https://www.facebook.com/perryminiatures/photos/pcb.1619297371525696/1619296268192473/?type=3&theater

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 03:54:01 PM »
That is only because you didn't get a chance to meet up with me. ;-)

I'll be back in November to run another game of Lion Rampant and can correct the error then. ;-)