Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690445
  • Total Topics: 118331
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Caesarian Testudo?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Caesarian Testudo?
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »
After having confirmed the adoption and reference to use of the Testudo formation for the late republican Roman period, I can find no models depicting a testudo formation in miniature other than for the early imperial period. I am referring to 28mm scale.

Has anyone seen one or perhaps made one? If not, how do you think you'd go about it? It looks to me like a challenge.

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Re: Caesarian Testudo?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:46:20 PM »
This was posted on ancmed this afternoon, whilst advertising 1:300 it seems it is available in other scales

This is just to advise those with Romans in 1:300 scale that Roman Imperial testudo is now available here https://www.shapeways.com/product/CAKPQ9WGF/1-300-roman-testudo-set101?li=shareProduct
and here
https://www.shapeways.com/product/US3MGLA2J/1-300-roman-testudo-markers-set102?li=shareProduct
in a different configuration.

The designer can also do this in other scales.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »
Never seen one, and not attempted to model it myself, but I’ve thought about giving it a go.
As all you’ll see are heads poking above the front line of shields and legs below the front and side shields due to the solid walls and roof of shields you don’t have to worry too much about arms and body postures, so with plastic you could really make this work.
The only ones you’ll need to get right are the back row as you’ll see them from behind.
Please post WIP and final pics if you give it a go. It might just push me to try this one day :)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:52:16 AM »
Unfortunately the link is also for early imperial Romans.

Here's an observation also. The Warlord testudo model provides for a unit of 18 (top) + 6 (front) + 5 x 2 (both sides) for a total of 34 shields. The usual figure packs are 24 for Caesarians and even less (20) for early imperial Romans. So where are they getting the extra shields from?

I'm thinking I'll have to build one myself and will look to bastardizing a pack but will build one of 24 (which is my cohort strength). I'm crunching the numbers and I figure for a 24 figure testudo to cover the front, sides and heads with shields the largest testudo I can form is a rectangle formation four wide by three deep at 22 shields. That's a frontage of 4 + 3 x 2 (sides) + 12 shields on top = 22.

Am I missing something?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »
I have some cast resin testudos that I got ages ago as a freebie. They have the semi-cylindrical 'imperial' shields.
I don't know who made them, but they are just a block with lots of shields on the outside, so much easier to paint than a load of figures.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »
Hinchcliffe (now owned by Ian Hind miniatures) did an Early Imperial Roman one, but in 25mm.
It looks like a scratch build from plastic figures is your best option.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:43:42 PM »
Unfortunately the link is also for early imperial Romans.

I'm thinking I'll have to build one myself and will look to bastardizing a pack but will build one of 24 (which is my cohort strength). I'm crunching the numbers and I figure for a 24 figure testudo to cover the front, sides and heads with shields the largest testudo I can form is a rectangle formation four wide by three deep at 22 shields. That's a frontage of 4 + 3 x 2 (sides) + 12 shields on top = 22.

Am I missing something?

I think you’d want 4 shields at each side, as they’re rectangles, so you’d want 4 to match the 3 lengthways one’s on top, so you’d have 4 in front, 4 either side and 12 on top for a unit of 24?

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 02:53:12 AM »
YES! Thanks Tyrionhalfman ... you are spot on. I was just looking at a video on Youtube with a live history group demonstrating just that. That makes so much sense to me now ... I can be slow sometimes. It will look much better also.

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 10:31:15 PM »
I only know of the Warlord one EIR
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:32:51 PM by Phil Portway »
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 12:30:03 AM »
Caesar's legions weren't using the curved rectangular shield yet.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
There's a picture of the ones I have here.
They are roughly 20mm scale, semi-cylindrical shields, just solid blocks of resin. Manufacturer unknown.
https://www.vislardica.com/burt-steve/2018/8/4/4th-august-2018-96-points

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »
Those would be very late 1st century BC or 1st/early 2nd century AD IMHO.

Cheers
Keith

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »
fantastic idea and looking great but would it not have been easier to paint the figures first...

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
fantastic idea and looking great but would it not have been easier to paint the figures first...

I figured this way I could put a black undercoat over everything, and then just paint what you can see and not bother what you can’t, as the black undercoat will add to the shadowy interior.  :)