Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:01:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tom's Old School Fantasy (Miniatures for RPG'ing)  (Read 1204 times)

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
Tom's Old School Fantasy (Miniatures for RPG'ing)
« on: July 17, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
Good evening all - long time lurker here, and I decided it's about time I started to contribute a bit more to the boards by way of showing off what I'm working on  :D First of all, my poison's mainly pre-slotta Citadel and 1980's Grenadier, so if you're not a fan of the classic sculpts, look away now! :-*  I'm currently painting a bunch up to use for a homebrew D&D campaign that I'll be starting shortly, the plan being to use the miniatures when required during actual sessions, but also to run some wargames set in my campaign world to decide the fate of events happening 'off screen', as it were.

Before we get started, I'll just throw out a quick bit about myself - I started getting back into miniatures about three years ago, having gamed a little bit and collected GW mini's as a kid. It's taken me a little while (and a whole bunch of abandoned projects!) to find what I really enjoy, but it seems to be the early to mid-80's style that's really grabbed me. I love the character of these old miniatures and I love how much choice there is - as somebody whose main interest is in narrative led gaming, they're a dream come true  :D

Anyway, three years on and I finally have a project that I want to stick with, so now it's time to get painting. I'm still very much easing back in on the painting front, so the first bunch of miniatures will no doubt be terrible, but part of the reason I wanted to start this log was to chart my progress and hopefully motivate myself to get more painted! So, without further do, I introduce you to ...

.. Harry Hooplin, retired adventurer and proprietor of The Laughing Stocks Inn, just a short journey north from our intrepid adventurer's home village. If they head that way, they may well hear the wily old Halfling telling tales by the fire of dungeons long since looted - and he may even have heard rumours of strange goings on in the local area if they play their cards right. Has the dreaded Chaos taint spread this far north on the isle of Varelle already or is something else afoot?

---

Next up is Walter, Harry's companion of many journeys and closest friend. Finished the paintjob on him last night, so should have him photographed tomorrow, and then it'll be onto some more of these lovely Grenadier figures from the AD&D Dungeon Explorers boxed set that I'm currently collecting, along with some Citadel Fantasy Tribes Orcs that have just been primed  :-* I'll pull the gaming table out once I've got some more stuff finished too, so that I'm not using Chux cloths as a scenic base for my pictures  lol
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:46:55 PM by tjgreenway »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: Tom's Fantasy Log
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »
I love the idea of an RPG that has moments of a wargame mixed in... talk about a real life scenario campaign... very cool. Bring on the classics!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
And introducing Walter, Harry's companion of many years and a regular sight around The Laughing Stocks Inn. Walter spends most of his spare time eyeing up Harry's customers from his usual spot (tucked away in a corner, looking shifty  lol), ready to step in if trouble brews. His very presence is enough to put off most chancers who think the wily old Halfling proprietor might be easy prey; those not smart enough to take the hint soon find themselves scarpering for cover when the knives start flying.

---

Quick paintjob on this one that I might go back and touch up at a later date, it's a bit sloppy even by my poor standards  :o But I got distracted by the arrival of some Citadel Fantasy Tribe Orcs that inspired me so much they needed to jump the painting queue, so they'll be up next  :-* (unless I get distracted again, of course!)

Harry and Walter will have themselves some more companions soon as well, though - they're going to be getting the old gang back together to go dungeon delving again. The question is, will my PC's see them as friend or foe?

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:33:07 PM »
I love the idea of an RPG that has moments of a wargame mixed in... talk about a real life scenario campaign... very cool. Bring on the classics!

Unfortunately, it looks like the homebrew DnD campaign is on the backburner for now, but I'm still chugging away with painting these guys up and plan to run some old school skirmishes with them instead  :) Haven't got anything finished yet,  but a bunch of Fantasy Tribe Orcs aren't far from finished now, pictures will be up soon!   :D