Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:45:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mighty Unicorn  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Mighty Unicorn
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 09:03:08 AM »
Very nice.

Offline PhilH

• Scientist
    • Bears Head Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
I'm going to have to join the choir of the Fathers of Unicorn Crazy Kids (that acronym just jumped at me, I swear! lol ), as my five year old daughter too has been caught by the bug. I blame My Little Pony for being the gateway, but here we are, with unicorns all over the house.

What a great acronym  lol. I’m glad your daughter is showing an interest in the hobby. My daughters weren’t so keen, but I only had Space Marines back then, my Granddaughter has just turned one and I now have unicorns and an old copy of Heroquest!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
What a great acronym  lol. I’m glad your daughter is showing an interest in the hobby. My daughters weren’t so keen, but I only had Space Marines back then, my Granddaughter has just turned one and I now have unicorns and an old copy of Heroquest!

Seriously; when I re-read what I had written, I simply changed Daughters to Kids; it just had to be done... :D

As for Hero Quest; it's the perfect gateway game. I've been playing it (and other games too, like Lionheart) with her since she was about 4 1/2, and she absolutely loves it. She also loves sitting next to me at my painting desk, painting her own miniatures. and for her age, she has  remarkable concentration and control.

One thing though; I started out playing Hero Quest following the adventures in the booklet, but eventually switched to making up my own scenarios, and keeping an eye on her involvement, can now lengthen or shorten the game, depending on her concentration.

If it's waning, I will just create a shortcut of sorts, so she can bring the game to a conclusion while still interested, as I don't want to put her off on playing because it becomes a chore or bore. When she has the eventual age, I will of course expect her to stay with it till the end, but for now, I'm just happy we're both having a good time :)

So I'd say you still have a couple of years to prepare, and then you can introduce your granddaughter to your miniature worlds of wonder...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 08:20:14 PM »
The unicorn is great, and this discussion about daughters 'owning' your minis is becoming familiar to me too. Although I've pushed my 5-years old some cheaper Reaper bones minis, so that when she wants mine, I can point her to hers. She has painted some, but is a little bit impatient.

Still, she's actually becoming one of my main inspirators with her demands of what to buy and what to paint next. We only play with the minis, no gaming per se.

Offline PhilH

• Scientist
    • Bears Head Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
It’s great to hear that your kids are interested in the hobby. I think there will always be a joy with holding something tangible and spending time bringing it to life, which the digital world can’t beat yet.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
Forgot to say the unicorn is superb, and I've liked all the things you've skuplted.

Just ran out of money at wrong moments, so don't have any (yet). I should save a little and go shopping. Maybe the holidays, in two months. Thinking of it, it's only two months! :)

Offline PhilH

• Scientist
    • Bears Head Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
Thanks
Forgot to say the unicorn is superb, and I've liked all the things you've skuplted.

Thank you. It’s always very encouraging to get some feedback 👍