Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690628
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Longhouse build  (Read 10471 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Longhouse build
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 09:57:20 AM »
I am getting buried under my workload at the moment, but I have made some small progress. The doors are almost done, I just need to make some bars / latches for them.

Making the side door open inside as well causes a little issue. Firstly, it's a bit cramped in there but manageable I guess. Secondly, I was planning to make floor in the rear of the house raised, but I didn't come to think that the door opening inside would complicate things. It can't open inside like in the above picture, if the floor is 7 to 8 mm (or thereabouts) higher than it is currently... I guess I could raise the door the equivalent amount and make a little step outside, or figure out something with the floor that would allow me to use the door as is and have the raised section too. Bugger...

Making the door open outside is pretty much out at this point, unless I re-do the actual door again. If I just flip the door now, the planking would be horizontal on the outside, which I don't like.

I guess I am going to leave the door as they are for now, and move on to make the interior a bit, so I actually see how it will look in reality.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:02:00 AM by Verderer »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »
The doors look good  8)

Could you have the raised floor raised around the area where the door opens, like a recess of sorts, and have the raised floor as the ‘step’?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
Just beautiful!  :-*
Eager to see the continuation!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
The doors look good  8)

Could you have the raised floor raised around the area where the door opens, like a recess of sorts, and have the raised floor as the ‘step’?

Thanks,  yes I though about making the raised section end at the posts behind the door opening section, the ones that part of the wall structure, but the trouble is the door opens that far back and crosses over their line, if you know what I mean? So it it would require the raised section fall even more behind, and I think it may look odd, if there's a section of the back room with dropped floor in just at one corner?

I will build up the raised floors first and see what looks best. I am inclined to think that raising the door would be the best solution at this point, maybe a nice stone foundation under the entrance section? Not sure if that solution looks 'viking' enough precisely, but nobody's perfect? lol

Online Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
Much awesomeness.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2018, 11:23:39 AM »
The doors look good  8)

That sounds like the Viking equivalent of a mudroom. The Vikings probably invented the mud room. Maybe check archaeology sites and see what the Vikings did.

If all else fails, move the door posts outward, away from the building by 10-15mm.  Is that an option?
Pendrake

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »
Sure, and I can always widen the base around the entrace a bit in case the door looks to be too close to the edge. We'll see.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
Started work on the raised floors, with a bit done on the left side.

I also decided the make the entrance raised, rather than have a sunk section of the floor. I tried it out, but it didn't look good to me. So I made a mock section of foamboard in the pic. I will make a better one eventurally, and maybe extend the section a bit outward and widen the base just a bit. I think it will look more natural once done.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 01:32:54 PM »
It's looking pretty darn awesome.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
Doing a great job on it, looking for Forward to your roofing work!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
I haven't been entirely idle, got the raised floors done and some other details:

The side door is now raised with  some stone foundation. As you can see, the walls there are taller than the rest of the house at that point, but I am not sure whether that is an issue. Will see when I get to building the roof. I can always cut it down a bit.

The side door has a working latch shaped like a bird's head. The beak goes in the hook to close the door, and the weight keeps up.

I have no idea if this would be realistic, but I saw something similar while googling, and thought it looked pretty cool.

Finally, I've been experimenting with making wattle screens from coir (coconut fibre). It looks a little loose maybe at this point, but I like how it looks more organic and irregular than, say, string.

My intention is to make several of these screens for the main space, between the pillars and the walls, and then one larger interior wall for the chieftain at the back. Either wattle or plank. Might make both, as I intend to keep these separate, so I can use them when needed and other times leave the space more open.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2018, 01:43:32 AM »
wow, this is incredible stuff.  Glad I chanced across this thread  :-*

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
Lovely attention to detail as always :D

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
Moving on to roof construction:

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
Very cool project. Great attention to the real longhouse structure. You could use these photos to explain the Scandinavian longhouse at school/university!