Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:04:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Longhouse build  (Read 10418 times)

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
Re: Longhouse build
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
Fantastic - really a pity that the roof structure is barely visible later.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
Very cool project. Great attention to the real longhouse structure. You could use these photos to explain the Scandinavian longhouse at school/university!

Thanks Anselm, but I've really cheated and taken too many shortcuts for this to work as any kind of true model: the proportions, structures, and joins are far from authentic. For example, I deliberately made the house too short, so its footprint on the table isn't too big. I merely try to give the impression of a longhouse... lol

Anyways, roof structure is progressing, I can now separate the basic structure from the house itself. It holds together and retains its shape, and it will get much more rigid and robust once I start with the horizonal planking. Now would also be the time to think about which type of material to use for cover: thatch or shingles? I've ruled out peat roof at this point.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2018, 01:10:06 PM »
Cheating or no this is still an impressive pad!

As for the roof, from what I've seen its harder to make thatch look good so I'd say shingles. Still, you may well be the thatch master :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
Brilliant stuff, I love all the little details  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2018, 03:38:44 PM »
Thanks Anselm, but I've really cheated and taken too many shortcuts for this to work as any kind of true model: the proportions, structures, and joins are far from authentic. For example, I deliberately made the house too short, so its footprint on the table isn't too big. I merely try to give the impression of a longhouse... lol

You should have taken the praise and run with it!  ;)

Considering the amount of caveats and clauses academics tend to include in their reports, your's is not so different. Even with its shortcomings, it could still serve a purpose. At least you know and honestly tell what is wrong with the 'replica'.  lol