Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Longhouse build  (Read 10416 times)

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
Re: Longhouse build
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »
That looks incredibely good so far !

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »
How about hidden magnetic hinges?  You have steel and copper sheet but how is your supply of neodymium magnets?

The idea (which works perfectly on the blue prints in my head  lol ) has two magnets on each side. These are mounted to or embedded in the door frame. Each door has something metal embedded in it (like the heads of sewing pins). The door pivots almost frictionlessly on the magnets. The door can be removed completely (in case marauding Frisians raid the place and smash the doors).
Pendrake

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »
I am making an attempt with  0.5mm thick steel sheet. It's ok, a little harder to work with, and my tin snips are too large to be able to cut it very precisely. So these are far too robust and thick, but at least they should be durable, workable and paintable? :D

Might file the ornaments a little thinner and then drill some holes in them for nails/pins.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
Fantastic work, very impressive!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 02:26:29 AM »
Fantastic work, very impressive!
I agree- excellent detail.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 10:54:38 AM »
More progress on the doors:

As you can see, the blacksmith had a real bad hangover when making the bottom left hinge, so it's cut all wonky... lol

Have to fix that and while I am at it, fix the door so it doesn't hang so crooked. But otherwise it's getting there. I need to add more nails, door handles, and maybe ornament the door posts a little? I thought I'd add an arched bit to the top post to act as a stopper and to give it a bit nordic feel.

As you can see, I am making the doors open inside - I think it makes more sense here, but I guess either way would work?

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »
Really really impressive looking longhouse - can´t wait to see more!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 01:06:37 PM »
I like the job you did with the door,  the whole project is coming out very interesting!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2018, 06:28:20 AM »
Barn doors open out. House doors open in. No reason to believe it has changed in 1200 years or so.

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »
Barn doors open out. House doors open in. No reason to believe it has changed in 1200 years or so.

I think it's more of a cultural thing: roman house doors opened out for instance.
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2018, 06:52:48 AM »

Scandinavian house doors open out. I have heard we do this so that snow does not come tumbling in, but instead gets pushed away from the entrance.

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 07:08:26 AM »
Good points. Is there a porch in this build? Thinking back on it, all the houses I can remember living in or visiting had doors that opened inward but they were always sheltered by a roof overhang (at minimum) or more likely a porch.

Wonders if the archaeologists can tell.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »
I can still change them to open outside, by simply flipping the the whole thing the other way around in the house frame. But I dunno, I kinda like it better this way.

About snow, it could be a pother try to push the doors open, if it has snowed several feet of heavy snow, and for security, it might be best to keep the hinges inside. Not that this is a castle or anything.

I've been googling for 'viking', long-house, Islandic & medieval doors, and there seems to be a lot of variation with it. Some have hinges visible, some not, so it stands to reason some of them open inside. But how authentic some of them are is anyone's guess. But I try not to get too hung on this detail. ;)

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »
About snow, it could be a bother try to push the doors open, if it has snowed several feet of heavy snow, and for security, it might be best to keep the hinges inside. Not that this is a castle or anything.
Is there a saga from Iceland where some bloke is cornered in his house, can’t get out, and the [archers?] burn him out?

Barn doors open outward so that the animals penned inside won’t end up blocking the doors from opening. Also, Maximizes the number that can be crammed inside in an emergency.

That door “blocked by feet of snow” scenario is not a hypothetical situation. My brother has sent me pictures on occasion. A door that opened outward could also be barred or blocked from the exterior by attackers so I think hinged to the inside makes sense.

I've been googling for 'viking', long-house, Islandic & medieval doors, and there seems to be a lot of variation with it. Some have hinges visible, some not, so it stands to reason some of them open inside. But how authentic some of them are is anyone's guess. But I try not to get too hung on this detail. ;)
I saw both variants when I did a similar search. I also saw Beorn’s Hall, an illustration by professor Tolkien! identified as an interior view of a Viking Longhouse. The internet can be dimwitted.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 06:02:20 AM »
Scandinavian house doors open out. I have heard we do this so that snow does not come tumbling in, but instead gets pushed away from the entrance.

Swedish doors open out, Danish doors open in. I dont know about Norwegian doors.