Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:24:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689699
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Figure holder  (Read 1566 times)

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
Figure holder
« on: July 19, 2018, 11:45:13 PM »
  Obviously, the inviso bases are nice, but I've been unmotivated to rip all the bases off my minis and start over again. And also, I like having the magnetic bases, so I can carry the figures around without them rubbing their paint off. However, using rubber bands on a wooden card might solve the latter problem. I'll need to find a box that fits just right though.

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
Re: Figure holder
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 01:46:47 AM »
Could get ugly if a mini comes off its base, though.  :?
I dunno, Whom...I think I'll stick with this:

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 04:27:07 AM »
@whoever1

Are you looking for suggestions?
Is your entire collection on clear round bases?
What are those (Lexan, bingo chips, acrylic?) clear rounds in the pic?
Pendrake

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:09:50 AM »
 I'm not really looking for suggestions, though I won't reject them either. Almost all my minis other than the ones you see are on opaque magnetized disks with a bit of landscaping on them. Some slotta bases, some not. I just thought rubber bands on a board was an innovative hack for carrying the minis around, though Rags obviously has a different opinion. The bases, btw, are super inviso bases from Pulp Alley. If I decide to keep doing this, I'll probably attach the board in a cigar box with magnets.

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
I just thought rubber bands on a board was an innovative hack for carrying the minis around, though Rags obviously has a different opinion...

I award you full points for innovation, Whom, I just don't see the advantage over a plain old foam-rubber insert carry case.  Also, in my experience, rubber bands break, and always at the wrong moment.

BTW, nice job on the inviso-base mounting.  What tool are you using to take them off their original bases?  I have some clear bases, but haven't been sure about what tool to use, and I'm afraid of screwing the minis up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:29:58 PM by ragsthetiger »

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
  I have a genuine Privateer Press Formula P3 pair of clippers, which I purchased off a shelf of Games Workshop accessories. It works pretty good, though I also use a scissors style pair of nail clippers. But just yesterday I was trying to paint up a coyote (dog model, but I thought I had the coloring right), but wound up with the legs seeming too short. It's hard when the model is on a pitcher's mound style base.
  I have fond memories of the dog/coyote hybrid who joined us for my college geology field trips.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
Obviously, the inviso bases are nice, but I've been unmotivated to rip all the bases off my minis and start over again....

I could not agree more. I seriously doubt that I would have ever switched to clear bases if Mila had not volunteered to do the vast majority of the work. And now I am so much happier with clear bases than I ever thought I would have been.  :D

I don't know what I'd do if I had to pack/travel my minis frequently. The rubber band idea looks promising, but I might try the foam case and see which worked better.