Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:50:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mycenaeans  (Read 4796 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Mycenaeans
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 05:16:16 AM »
Here is the well known Mycenean helmet made from boar's tusks.
My personal testimony from the Pylos museum is that they could be painted, you can see traces of colour on the tusks.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
Thanks Dinos, I have been to the Archaeological Museum in Athens, it is incredible! That's interesting with your photo of the boar tusk helmet from  Pylos, the paint is clearly visible. I have a photo of one from Heraklion Museum, I'll try and dig it up and post it here. I used to have photos, on my old blog, Satrap Miniatures, of many sites and museums from Italy, Greece, Turkey and Egypt, I plan to post them again on my new blog.

Cheers

Mike

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 07:07:32 AM »
Just to clarify, this picture is a helmet from the Archaeological Museum of Athens. In Pylos I had seen a similar painted helmet.
It will be nice of you to post related photos, if you plan to post them on your new blog, please notify me.

Cheers,

Dinos

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 01:53:34 AM »
OK thanks Dinos, no worries. I'll probably post some pics of Mycenae and Tiryns on my blog soon, I'll PM you. Here is the boar tusk helmet (and some bronze socket spear heads) from Herakleion Museum I mentioned:

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 05:37:06 AM »
Hmm, quite well preserved items.
I have been in Herakleion several times, next time I must visit its museum. I'll be watching your blog! Cheers!

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 11:06:04 AM »
I can see why the European Boar population declined so much!

Any ideas on what sort of colours you'd be dealing with?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 11:51:49 AM »
Honestly, personally, apart from these traces of blue I haven't seen any other colour. A possible conjectural colour could be brick red but if we go further it will be pure fantasy  :)

This is Nestor's palace at Pylos
http://www.odysseyadventures.ca/articles/mycenae/article_mycenae02-pylos.html

The fresco depicts a battle scene.
And this is a reconstruction of the throne room.
Ochre, pale blue, some tones of brick red, as one may find from other contemporary fresco reconstructions, there were not many more colours available.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »
Great looking minis.

I to have an ever growing army of Myceneans. It started out as an army for Chariots Rampant, but I am close to a point where I could play Hail Ceasar with it..

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 11:02:53 PM »
Any chance of some pics of your Mycenaeans Dr Zombie? I find Chariots Rampant sized forces a good starting point for an army, both for gaming and painting. You do need a lot of figures for Hail Caesar.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 06:32:24 AM »
There is an old thread here. It has been somewhat screwed over by Photobucket. But there is an attempt to salvage it (read: huge photodump) on page 14 and onwards.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=86533.0

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 07:33:06 AM »
Oh! Wonderful stuff! It was worth the pain salvaging it!
Many conversions and a great source of inspiration! Congrats!

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »
Fantastic figures and terrain there, Dr Zombie! Photobucket sure ruined a lot photo collections, including my old blog...