Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm - 15mm SciFi Gateway Game  (Read 969 times)

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
6mm - 15mm SciFi Gateway Game
« on: July 21, 2018, 09:38:40 PM »
Despite the vast majority of games I currently play being 28mm, I'm very interested in playing at smaller scales. I love the combined arms concept which isn't a super feasible concept at 28mm due to cost (and painting time). I'm trying to find a good game I could learn and then demo to my gaming friends. I currently have tons of CAV and Battletech models and an assortment of other stuff that would fit the scale such as Heavy Gear and a few others. What I don't have is a relatively easy to learn ruleset. I'd love to hear some suggestions!

So far I've heard of Gruntz (but don't know much about it), Tomorrow's War which I've skimmed through... seems pretty esoteric at first glance, and Polyversal. Though all I have to go on that one is a video and some reallllly pretty pictures of models. Is it even out yet?

Anyway, thanks a ton for recommendations!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: 6mm - 15mm SciFi Gateway Game
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
I'd recommend Grunt's if you're looking for unit based combined arms games.  I've played it quite a bit, it's relatively easy to learn and seems almost infinitely customisable as far as units and vehicle design goes and there's a lot of support material for it on the interweb.

It suits the 'narrative big skirmish' style games but can be played with a small number of figures too, for example http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=71705.msg942837#msg942837

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Don Cossack

• Lurker
    • Scalp Dance
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »
Try this free demo of a game called "Platoon Leader" from Legionnaire Games. http://www.wargamevault.com/product/101823/Strike-Legion-Platoon-Leader-Infantry-Primer It's a 15mm skirmish SF game. I tried it and thought it was pretty awesome. For 6mm, these same guys make a game called "Strike Legion." 

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 03:40:29 PM »
For some extremely simple rules to get you going there is a Fubar set for 6mm. One page of rules and free to download.

Am personally looking forward to trying Horizon Wars when i finally gets some suitable minis.

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
Are you looking for a game with troops mounted multiple to a base, where the maneuvering element is a fire team rather than an individual soldier?

Or do you still want each infantry model mounted separately?

That might help quantify the responses.
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
Thank you very much for the suggestions! I'm going to check them out. And I forgot about Horizon Wars... I actually bought a copy on a whim and have only glanced at it, I'll check that out again.

Are you looking for a game with troops mounted multiple to a base, where the maneuvering element is a fire team rather than an individual soldier?

Or do you still want each infantry model mounted separately?

That might help quantify the responses.

That depends a bit. I think in general at the smaller scales I prefer mostly vehicle-centric games. At 6 and 10mm I'd absolutely want multiple troops per base. At 15mm I could go either way really. I think I'd probably still prefer multiple infantry models per base, so more of a fire team concept. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me to have single based models at that scale.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
I’m not sure you can beat Dirtside 2 for 6mm action. I would like to see a modernised, streamlined version myself. Future War Commander is somewhat marmite, but it has its attractions and depends very much on what you like. Plus it caters for 15mm as well as 6mm. In addition there is a little add on in the back which allows some of the same mechanism to be used for skirmish gaming. also tried some of the others mentioned. I have tried Iron Cow too. Handles lots of AFV’s and aircraft smoothly, but again, there are drawbacks. Of all the flavours of wargaming, in my opinion you have hit on the genre with most variance and least common ground. Good luck. It might be interesting to see how you get on...