Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28MM Post Apoc Gallery/Included in the April 2019 Wargames Illustrated  (Read 5498 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28MM Post Apoc Gallery/Between LA and Los Vegas (165 pictures)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 08:33:40 PM »
Thanks to all three of you for taking the time to write, and for the generous comments.
War Monkey, I always like hearing about and seeing interesting projects being done in 15mm.  Look forward to seeing how that progresses.
Lowtardog, it's always nice to hear that LAF members find a project of mine worth returning to.  Much appreciated.
Dr Mathias,  great to hear from you as always.  I love the teardrop too... really seemed to help define the sophistication of the trailer park.  The Disney "Cars" buildings are wonderful.  I used two different "Cars" buildings (Ramones and Luigis) in my Gangster and Stuff Gallery as well.  The only issue with repurposing them is that since they are made for cars, they need human doors, but that's not all that tough to do.  As you said, Plasticville buildings are great... simple in construction, but lots of variety.  The K-Line are fewer in numbers, but essentially the same look.  As to the question of the bugs and why didn't I paint them,  frankly, I was torn on that question.  I probably should have, but there was a part of me that thought it might be a little crazier and funnier looking if I didn't, and that combined with the fact that during my work on this project, our first grandchild was born, and I wanted to spend more time with her and this project had been on the workbench for nearly a year and I wanted to see it in a finished state... all set up.  Anyway, unpainted crazier and funnier won out, but I am sure I will go back and paint the bugs in time.  Thanks for checking it out.

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 03:45:15 AM »
Fun stuff for sure man!!...I will check out YOUR website when I get home, as the site is blocked by my work system...but Trust ME...I'll be there!!
Cheers,
Carl

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »
Sinewgrab, you're right that I don't have the space to leave these collections set up.  Once the photography is done it's all packed up and put away.  All of my galleries/collections are set up on one or two 5 ft. x 7 ft. tables.  These are plywood surfaces with wooden rims/frames around the edge.  The plywood surfaces are set on folding tables (3 ft. x 6 ft.).  The plywood surfaces have frames on the bottom of each surface that fit around the tables so the plywood surfaces are secure.  When the photography is done the plywood surfaces are taken off the folding tables and placed against a wall in the garage.  The folding tables are folded up and placed against the same wall.  Most of my gallery layouts are done on ground cover that consists of indoor-outdoor carpet that I bought years ago.  I have it in two colors... green and tan.  When not in use they are rolled up and put in individual canvas bags that my wife made for them.  Most of the figures go in multi-drawer wooden boxes (I've picked up about 30 of them at the swap meet over the years.)  I think that if you go to the Post Apoc Gallery posting on my website the first picture in the gallery shows the table and in the background you can see me and some of the wooden multi-drawer boxes.  I'm fortunate to have a 3 car garage, and while I keep three cars in it, there are cabinets along the walls were I store a lot of my miniatures' terrain.  I also have a very nice Tuff Shed that I use for storing miniatures (the wooden multi-drawer boxes) and terrain.  Anyway, that's how it's done.  Probably more than you wanted to know.

Doug, I'm really glad that you decided to give my gallery a look.  I'm sure that you're not alone in skipping over my work because of the name War In 15mm.  When I began painting miniatures more than 40 years ago, my focus was on military/historical collections, and because I love the look of huge armies on the battlefields I went with 15mm.  But about 15 years ago I go hooked on the 28s with regard to Pulp/Adventure/Victorian Gothic and crazy stuff like this post apoc collection.  I still divide my time between the two.  Maybe I should change my posting name from War In 15mm but I've had it for a long time.  I was the name I had when my collections were featured in Wargames Soldiers and Strategy in 2009, so it's part of me.  When I post a 28mm collection, I always identify it in the title as 28mm, but I'm sure that gets missed by many.  As of now I think I have 13 completed 15mm military/historical collections and eight 28mm Pulp/Adventure/Victorian Gothic collections.  That division of my painting attention hasn't changed.  Having just finished my 28mm post apoc collection, I am now painting a 15mm/18mm Boxer Rebellion collection... that will last until around January at which time I will probably begin another 28mm project.  And now we also have the fun of a baby granddaughter.  Life is good. 

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to write.  Richard

Hey Richard I just had a daydream fantasy that one day I am on Storage Hunters and all your packed up layouts are revealed in one of those lock-ups and I bid for them and get the lot for $100!
Well, we can dream....congratulations on your daughter becoming a mother and yourself on being a granddad.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
Just looked through the post apoc gallery on your website ...so many good bits but I think the Paradise Estates trailer park and Bert's Diner were the best for me. The figures I liked best were the biker gang riding into town harassing the yellow truck.
 Great work as always!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 11:53:20 PM »
Carl and vodkafan, thanks to both of you for taking the time to write and the generous comments. 
Carl, special thanks for the congrats regarding my granddaughter's birth... she's an absolute delight!  Hope you had a chance to check out the full gallery. 
vodkafan, this collection, more than most, allowed me to include some crazy, fun stuff... the junkyard and trailer park were a lot of fun, and Bert's burger statue (a swap meet find) is a favorite of mine.
Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28MM Post Apoc Gallery/Included in the April 2019 Wargames Illustrated
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 03:10:57 AM »
The April 2019 issue of Wargames Illustrated is now available, and I am both thrilled and honored by the way my work was presented in that issue. The title of the piece that begins on page 60 is "Purists, Look Away Now." The title arises from the fact that I am not a gamer. I am not dedicated to a single scale... some of my collections are 15mm, and some are 28mm. I move from military/historical collections (my 15s) to Pulp/Adventure/Victorian Gothic (my 28s). The piece looks at both. The first half is on my 28mm Post Apoc, and the second is my 15mm French And Indian War collection. WI has treated me very generously. I'm a happy guy.WI378_600 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:37:18 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
 :o

This all looks amazing. I love a good post apocalypse setting.

I'm in the process of slowing building up enough to make a large town ravaged by a zombie apocalypse - I'm gearing up for a large game for Halloween and there's lots of inspiration here.

Thank you for sharing it.

I love the bikes with the flaming wheels - are they a conversion or are they available to purchase from somewhere?

Cheers RK

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 07:34:26 PM »
RK, glad you enjoyed the gallery, and good luck with your project.  The bikes with flaming wheels are old Heroclix.  I got them in a bucket of Heroclix figures for 50 cents each and did a little modification.  I afraid I don't know what superhero (Marvel/DC) line they are associated with. 

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 01:15:17 AM »
Congrats, that's quite an honor to appear in the magazine!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 11:21:33 AM »
RK, glad you enjoyed the gallery, and good luck with your project.  The bikes with flaming wheels are old Heroclix.  I got them in a bucket of Heroclix figures for 50 cents each and did a little modification.  I afraid I don't know what superhero (Marvel/DC) line they are associated with.
Marvel's Ghost Rider.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 02:09:35 AM »
Dr Mathias, when I was contacted, it was a wonderful surprise.  I have followed Wargames Illustrated since the days of Peter Gilder and his wonderful Sudan collection.  The pictures between the covers of that magazine have inspired and informed me for decades so to be included within its pages is something I will treasure.  Thanks for your congrats!  Richard