Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:54:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hammers and Runes (Fantasy stuff)  (Read 7823 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Hammers and Runes (Fantasy stuff)
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
A thread for all of my fantasy miniatures.

Whilst I'm primarily (fantasy wise) playing AOS at the moment I buy into many rulebooks, games and systems so eventually other non Warhammer things will appear.

Right now though ? Primarily Dwarfs and Elves for my Dispossessed army (5000+ pts) and my Eldritch Council (1500pts) plus some bits for General Order armies. Case in point....

A Carmine Dragon. Not the actual forgeworld Carmine dragon model (long oop and a bit ugly) but one of the nicest dragons GW has ever made imo, the LOTR 'Generic' Dragon. Paint job isnt mine but a GW staff member who painted any single mini as a raffle prize.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Hammers and Runes (Fantasy stuff)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »
Now for a mini I actually painted. I'm not a great painter frankly. I go for simplicity and tabletop standard (in my eyes thats 'looks ok from the tabletop'  though some would disagree). I tend to prime gray, basecoat, wash then done. I put a bit more effort into characters and skirmish figures but otherwise its fairly average.

I have a love of Old/Middlehammer and Alternate ranges though, it adds nice variety to an army and as long as the paint jobs cohesive whilst the model designs arent too radically different it can work really well. In this case my Unforged.

Effectively a GW Slayer with different fluff the model is Mantics Berserker Lord, one of the few Dwarf minis they do that I actually like (whilst cheap which is always a good thing in mass battle games they look like playmobil imo).  An added bonus is he fits my Dwarfs Realm of Beasts aesthetic.

I tried to go for a Native American/Indigenous Australian look for the wristband and belt.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
Next up is my Runesmith, a great model from 6th edition (though he may be from the 5th edition Grudge of Drong campaign ?) with lots of detail including a surprising number of gems which is weird, since Gems are usually more of a High Elf thing. I'm happy with my paint scheme though.

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »
Great looking models, I always liked that style of GW mini.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »
Now for a 7th ed Metal Engineer, sans giant jumbled backpack since it looked too cluttered imo. This model is....a bit of a nuisance frankly. Too angular, detailed in a bad way (little bits everywhere) and wasn't as fun to paint as my prior two characters.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
Its been a while since I posted but I'm trying something a little new where every week I post my WIP or finished stuff to give me some motivation.

This week its 2 complete 'Jungle Trolls' , Games Workshop Sourbreath Troggoths (Generic Trolls) for my Jungle based Spiderfang Grotz.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
I really like those trolls, the red eyes really pop on the one with the statue overhead.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »
Between work and life its been hard to get hobby stuff done, so less painting then usual. Though I did manage to assemble and base some Trolls. I also assembled/based/primed my Loremaster and Arachnarock Spider with a converted  Spiderfang Grot Shaman.

The Trolls are from Momminiaturas, a spanish website that makes various fantasy and sci fi resin miniatures. Very characterful and a good Black Friday deal.

The Loremaster is an older GW miniature called Aenur Sword of Twilight, a mercenary in a skirmish game called 'Mordheim'.

The Arachnarock is a great miniature full of detail. Huge and disconcertingly realistic in the dark (as my darling GF can attest) it sits on a sandwich plate sized base that a friend 3d printed for me due to how irregular the size is.

As for the Shaman he's converted from a pre-existing 'Normal' Grot Shaman. The Spiderfang Grots have a more Amazon/Native American inspired aesthetic so I merely removed the models Wolf Cloak, Wolf Tail trinket, skull bowl and top knot. I then added a Miliput saddle of sorts to the Arachnarock to rest the Shaman on, added a Spider crawling on a skull to his hand and filed down his vest so I can paint him bare chested.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 10:11:13 AM »
Its been over a month and I've been in some bad health with a nasty chest infection, despite that I've managed to get some painting done.

As much as I like horde factions (Over 350 Dwarfs and 70+ Spider Goblins) I tend to find bulk painting rather disheartening, even with the whole "Just paint 10 at a time" the nigh endless mountain of models can be daunting. In the future I'll paint such forces as I buy them instead of buying everything then feeling glum at the idea of painting it. Anyway this is relevant because I'm making a Troll army with my new Gloomspite Gitz.

Instead of 40+ painted models for a 1000 point I'd need 13.

Heres the first 3 done. Their the last 2 'Jungle Trolls' I did with the remaining model in the set bringing it to a full unit. Frustratingly however they removed these particular models from the game so they'll have to proxy as Stone Trolls/Rockgut Troggoths, they also changed the base sizes to 50mm do I've asked a friend nicely if he'll 3d print me some base extenders.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 05:10:15 PM »
Finished my anti-biotics but now have different health issues. Still I can paint some minis.

I managed to finish three more Trolls, so I'm nearly half way through a 1000pt force. These ones were great to paint but might have been better to do sub assemblies

Speaking of sub assemblies I'm doing one on my converted Dankhold Trogboss, leaving the arm off makes painting so much easier.

Finally I've started painting my River Trolls, I made a dumb choice though priming them grey when my scheme is white (going for a cave fish kind of thing) but as the one on the right showd enoygh thin layers and it looks ok.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »
Its been a while with alot more health issues (both mental and physical) but I've managed to get more done.

I bought some classic Stone Trolls from Infyrana a few weeks back and they were awesome to paint. He was a top guy as well, good packaging, not overpriced and very patient with me.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:15:04 PM by jetengine »

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 02:40:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing your project. It is fun to see all the different kinds of trolls. I hope your health improves and you keep on sharing. Always sorry to hear of poor health.

Offline infyrana

• Schoolboy
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
Hey, thank you for the heads up!  They look great, really like the vibrant blue and what you did with the eyes (I can't paint eyes for anything..)!

Keep up the good work :)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
So my healths still terrible but I'm still painting

My Trolls are almost finished with some objectives as well.

The general idea behind the fluff is a Fantasy David Attenborough type is using a very difficult mathematical formula that relies on the growth of mushrooms to discover wherevand when the Trolls will gather.

First is the trogboss, a great miniature from GW with alot of variation in layout and assembly, though some conversion required for weapon loadouts as I have done. I've gone for a scheme that tries to mix elements of the Forest Trolls and Stone Trolls.

Next is the Stone Trolls, the complete collection of GW metals. I'm something of a collector and it was a REAL pain in the butt to get them all but it was worth it in the end.

The first of my River Trolls. The GW plastics are very nice, have more variety then the Metals and convert up easier. For these guys I was trying to go for a "Blind cave fish" look.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
Chocks away!

Painted 90% with contrast paints, from Mominiaturas.