Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bronze Age Miniatures Scale Comparison Question. Rogue Trooper & John Carter.  (Read 19276 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box

Can anyone reading tell me how the Bronze Age not-John Cater and Dejah Thoris compare with (for example) Copplestone or Foundry or Hasslefree or Heroclix or GW or [insert other manufacturer name here] figures?

The BA site lists the figures as 32mm.  Although I try not to be too fussy about scale compatibility, 32mm does seem to be at about the upper limit for my mainly heroic 28mm collection.

Also, has anyone compared the not-Genetic Infantrymen that BA produce here and here with the rather generously proportioned Foundry Rogue Trooper? If they are compatable I forsee a pain in my wallet sooner rather than later...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
The not-John Carter and Not Dejah should match up okay with the other manufacturers. The reason would not be so much their height, but their lack of bulk. By being humanly-proportioned, the figures do not look significantly bigger than other companies' figures that also use realistic proportions.

If you stand them side by side and at eye level you might say they are too big, but on the table, they look good together. I'll try and get pictures of mine up if no one else gets there before me.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
I'm actually a little surprised that Bronze Age chose to call their miniatures 32mm. Of the figures I have, I'll grant that some are close to that, but others are a very sensible 28-29mm.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
The Bronze Age stuff is certainly big and chunky, but a significant portion of their height is also the huge thick bases that they're cast on. I have removed the bases from all my BA "not-Barsoomian" figures to give them a more standard appearance.

I'm actually contemplating making a BA entry in this season's LPL (if I can settle on a satisfactory red Martian skin tone...). If I do, I'll take a comparison shot of a BA Dead Earth Imperial (Martian) next to a Copplestone figure mounted on a similar base so you can see the size comparison.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box

Thanks for all of your help guys, that is exactly the information that I wanted :D

Quote from: Operator5
I'll try and get pictures of mine up if no one else gets there before me.

That would be really great, thanks.

Any takers on the Rogue Trooper comparisons?

Quote from: Heldrak
if I can settle on a satisfactory red Martian skin tone...

You and me both.  I have tried a few approaches but nothing that I have tried so far has been both decent and reasonably quick to apply. 

I am very interested in what you come up with.  If you do get a Red Martian skin tone that works I would love to have a step by step list of the stages that you use for it.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
if I can settle on a satisfactory red Martian skin tone...

You and me both.  I have tried a few approaches but nothing that I have tried so far has been both decent and reasonably quick to apply. 

I am very interested in what you come up with.  If you do get a Red Martian skin tone that works I would love to have a step by step list of the stages that you use for it.

Will do. ;)

I was pretty impressed with the flesh effect that Agis created for his Dejah Thoris (as seen here):

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=1762.0

but he has said that it was very labor-intensive to produce. They other thing that's stymieing me a little bit at the moment is coming up with a suitable red desert base that doesn't get boring and that doesn't resonate oddly with the skin tone.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
I just took these quick photos for a quick comparison
1st Heresy inspector, Black Scorpion Cowgirl, BA Rogue trooper, Hasslefree Debra, Reaper Townsfolk

2nd Void, Privateer Press pirate BA Rogue Trooper, West wind Zombie hunter, Copplestone, and Super figure civilian

Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Quote from: bandit86

bandit86, you rule.

Thanks for taking the time to set that up and snap it, it shows me exactly what I need.

That female GI figure looks even better than I thought that it would.  I forsee a financially crippling order from Bronze Age in the medium term.

Thanks for all of your help guys :D

I was pretty impressed with the flesh effect that Agis created for his Dejah Thoris (as seen here):

Loath as I am to criticise Agis in any miniature painting regard, I do find that skin tone not really what I expect from a Barsoomian Red Martian.  The colour is fantastically executed, no question.  Its just that that particular colour does not really suit what I see to be Red Martian skin. YMMV.

The neatly organised and simplistic arrangement of the various factions of Barsoom suggest to me a slightly more "four colour" world.  When I read the books I tend to see the red men as being quite red, rather than say as "red" as a native American.  Similarly, I see the Green men as being quite a greenish green rather than a more recognisable flesh tone with a green hue (like a Christmas cactus plant or similar).  Basically I see the Martian skin tones as having less of what we Earthers would regard as skin tones.  Less brown/tan/khaki essentially.

That said, I really havent been able to come up with a satisfactory solution myself, so what do I know :)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Quote from: bandit86

bandit86, you rule.

Thanks for taking the time to set that up and snap it, it shows me exactly what I need.

That female GI figure looks even better than I thought that it would.  I forsee a financially crippling order from Bronze Age in the medium term.

Thanks for all of your help guys :D

Loath as I am to criticise Agis in any miniature painting regard, I do find that skin tone not really what I expect from a Barsoomian Red Martian.  The colour is fantastically executed, no question.  Its just that that particular colour does not really suit what I see to be Red Martian skin. YMMV.

The neatly organised and simplistic arrangement of the various factions of Barsoom suggest to me a slightly more "four colour" world.  When I read the books I tend to see the red men as being quite red, rather than say as "red" as a native American.  Similarly, I see the Green men as being quite a greenish green rather than a more recognisable flesh tone with a green hue (like a Christmas cactus plant or similar).  Basically I see the Martian skin tones as having less of what we Earthers would regard as skin tones.  Less brown/tan/khaki essentially.

That said, I really havent been able to come up with a satisfactory solution myself, so what do I know :)

We're on the same page, Cheetor. I too see the Barsoomian Martians as being more of an otherworldly red-red, than a Native American "red". I've got some horses to crank out for LPL Round 5 first, but you should be able to see my take on a Red Martian in a couple of weeks.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Red enough for you, Cheetor or not so much...? ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=11487.0

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Red enough for you, Cheetor or not so much...? ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=11487.0

Pretty much exactly the red that I was looking for to be honest, nice work  :-*  That not-John Carter figure is great, the face looks just like how I imagine him to look.

If you get a chance I would love a blow by blow of the red flesh tone process, including paints used.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Told you we were on the same page ;)

My recipe for red Martian skin tone is pretty straightforward:

Over a black undercoat, I used Foundry Conker Brown Shade 54A as my basecoat. Then I used a 50/50 mix of Conker Brown Shade 54A and Foundry Madder Red Shade 60A for the next layer, following that I used straight Madder Red 60A, and following that I used Foundry Madder Red Mid-tone 60B for the final highlight. Note that Madder Red 60A & 60B are very close in value, so there was no need to mix an intermediate tone.

The figures do look a bit browner in person/to the naked eye, as I was allowing a little bit for the yellowish cast of the light I use to make them look redder, but if you wanted them redder off the bat you could also use the Foundry Madder Red Highlight 60C, which is less brown and more red.

A few lessons I learned doing them:

I normally use white for the whites of my eyes, as the area is so small they look fine against a standard "caucasian" skin. Against my red Martians, the whites look a bit stark and a bone white or cream color might have been a better choice for the whites of their eyes.

Due to the nature of the pigment used to make the paint, I found the Conker Brown shade a bit hard to work with - it went on very gummy. The Conker Brown & Madder Red match very well, but the Conker Brown base did seem to absorb highlights. I got the level of contrast that I wanted when the paints went on wet, but the next morning they looked flatter to me. I actually ran out of time and patience on these, but another layer of highlights might have yielded sharper detail on faces, fingers, etc.

The not-John Carter figure looks fine in profile, but straight-on his face isn't quite as handsome as one might like for such a famous hero (he's lipless, and big-nosed with huge ears). Upon mature reflection, I think the other Bronze Age not-John Carter figure is better (the one cast as a single piece without the separate sword that comes as a set with not-Dejah Thoris). I picked the one I used over that one as that one has his radium pistol in his right hand and his sword in his left and I figured that the supremely honorable John Carter would always choose his sword first over his pistol. I was debating painting one of them up as Carthoris and attempting a half-human/half-Martian skin tone, but I think I'll try another take on John Carter instead.

I was very pleased with how Dejah Thoris came out, but when I finished I rather began to wish that I had left her dagger out of her hand (IIRC Dejah Thoris never wields a weapon of any kind in the books, despite being in almost constant danger...!).

When this week's round is over I'll post you a scale comparison shot with one of these next to a Copplestone figure on the same kind of display base so you can see how they match up.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
My recipe for red Martian skin tone is pretty straightforward....

Your Red Martian skin tone is very impressive and I will have to adopt your technique. I have some old SciFi minis from Denizen, which are really too small to be used as Human adults alongside today's 28mm figures. Using this skin colour will make them perfect as Aliens and allow me to make full use of them.  ;D

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box

My recipe for red Martian skin tone is pretty straightforward:...

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, just what I was looking for :)

Upon mature reflection, I think the other Bronze Age not-John Carter figure is better

Although I have never seen that miniature in the flesh I do like the look of it.  That is the JC that I plan to pick up in a few months.

I was debating painting one of them up as Carthoris and attempting a half-human/half-Martian skin tone, but I think I'll try another take on John Carter instead.

Half martian tones run a real risk of looking like sunburn I reckon.  Again, I wil be interested to see what you come up with.

When this week's round is over I'll post you a scale comparison shot with one of these next to a Copplestone figure on the same kind of display base so you can see how they match up.

Cool, thanks.  Looking forward to it 8)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Now that my Martians can finally rest from their labors in the LPL, here is a scale comparison photo showing a Bronze Age Dead Earth Imperial (Martian) against a Copplestone Castings figure and a couple of others:

Left to Right:

WSD (Wargames Supply Dump) Dick Garrison line
Bronze Age
Copplestone Castings
Artizan Miniatures

As you can see, while the proportions on the BA figure differ a bit from other figures (they're rather lean and lanky) they do not look out of scale in comparison with other "heroic" 28mm miniatures.

A few things to note, though (particularly as you were interested in the comparison of Bronze Age with Copplestone):

The BA Dead Earth Imperial in the photograph has been painfully removed from his huge chunky integral base, but a certain amount of that base was left underneath his feet so that he stands on top of the red sands of his display base, rather than sinking down into them. Likewise, the Copplestone Detective figure has been clipped from his slottabase and then pinned to an inset plate that has been textured to look like pavement. This puts both figures on almost exactly the same plane.

While the WSD figure and the Bronze Age figure are a reasonable height match, the BA figure would probably work even better alongside the similar line of Bob Olley figures from Killer B (as they are a bit larger and chunkier than the WSD Dick Garrison line, although they are very similar in style).

As the Artizan figure shows, BA figures may look a bit out-of-scale against smaller lines of 28mm figures (Pulp Figures, Artizan, Foundry, etc.) but not absurdly so.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:07:30 AM by Heldrak »