Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:11:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are Jugula figures 35 or 40mm and any comparison pics with a ruler or grid?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Are Jugula figures 35mm to the eyes or top of head? Would someone point me to some comparison pics with 28-32mm sized gladiators? I thought I found one, but it's not showing up via Google. 

I'm looking for something like Prof.Witchheimer's excellent Ancient scale comparison thread. Looking at those 28mm figures, the size of helmets for instance, is inconsistent even in the same manufacturer's range. I'm interested in the Jugula equipment packs and thinking of converting 28-32mm heroic sized sculpts with them, but short of ordering a test pack, would like to see some comparison pics.   

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
They are large figures!

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
The GB Jugula figures are 35mm but are massive compared to most 28mm figures like Foundry and Crusader.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
How about the equipment packs containing heads and weapons? How would these look on 32mm heroic figures, such as from GW? After scraping off the fantastic aspects off of these Kairic Acolytes, what results is a body which wouldn't look out of place in an arena, so thought maybe I could use Jugula components - when assembled, the KA is about 30mm/31mm to the eyes.

Found this: https://www.beastsofwar.com/historical-battles/gladiators-training-tomahawks-jugula/

In the comments, huscarle said:
Incidentally the small Retiarius in the last pic is a 28mm for size comparison.

Is that a Foundry figure on the left? Heads and hands look about the same in size, not a surprise, since plenty of "heroic" 28s are shrunken 35-40s, like regular and Primaris Space Marines.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:57:58 AM by Condottiere »

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
I don't think that is a Foundry figure. Crusader or Black Crab maybe?

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
I guess it depends on your preferences for differences in figure sizes. I think the equipment packs would work fine on 32mm figures. For what it is worth here is a GB 35mm and Crusader 28mm comparison shots:

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
I don't think that is a Foundry figure. Crusader or Black Crab maybe?
You're right, it's not a Foundry figure, but a Crusader with a modified head - possibly altered hairline on a Jugula one? 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:11:01 AM by Condottiere »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
I guess it depends on your preferences for differences in figure sizes. I think the equipment packs would work fine on 32mm figures. For what it is worth here is a GB 35mm and Crusader 28mm comparison shots:

Thanks...

Had no intention of mixing Jugula with other 28s, but the odd one might work with the 32s as a tall one, but I'm mostly interested in the equipment packs, so good to know it'll work - not much of a difference with the helmeted heads. I'll go ahead and order a pack soon and see how it'll look with the current GW plastics.  :)

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Probably look fine on the Kai-whatever guys, as they are pretty big themselves.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
CP-Models have a pack of gladiator heads if this helps.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Probably look fine on the Kai-whatever guys, as they are pretty big themselves.
Will post some pics, once I get a sprue and a blister, preferably on my blog which I haven't gotten to starting...  :-[

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
CP-Models have a pack of gladiator heads if this helps.
Any idea of the size of CP Models, especially the heads? I know MaxMini also offers a pack of 10 heads, but no idea if they're heroic or smallish in comparison. Once purchased a blister of Warlord's bare/hatted legionaries, but found 'em smaller than the plastic figures. :(

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Cp-models are Foundry size gladiators and 2 or 3 a bit smaler but mixable.
I used a gladiator head on a foundry miniature and it looks very good.