Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690674
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How is Blood and Plunder?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
How is Blood and Plunder?
« on: July 27, 2018, 08:33:45 AM »
Does anybody play it?  I resisted until now, but might dive in when the Dutch are released.  Does anybody have experience playing it?  How does it work, the models are very nice looking, although they seem larger than 28mm,  even though it is advertised as that.  They don't look to well scaled next to other 28mm figures.  I have a pack of Freebooters, and the one I have painted is turning out well.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: How is Blood and Plunder?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 04:38:24 AM »
Although I haven't listened to it there is a podcast review here.  There is a good review of the game mechanics here.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 08:02:28 PM »
Hi Parrot,

Check my post. I played it and enjoyed it.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=110745.0

Offline Toman

• Student
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:16:41 AM »
it is a really great game with good ballance, good game play, and great models. One of my favorite games right now. the ability to play land and sea and amphibius assault game mods makes the game very versitile, and I love the card driven inititive mechanic, lets face it, you go I go is boring. I would watch some game play videos and reviews, I think they have some on their website.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »
Very good game; lots of interesting tactical decisions. Rules work well (the feature that only the attacker gets to fight in melee seems odd but works fine when you actually play). As others have said, it combines land and sea very nicely.
We found the unit cards pretty useful (or you can make your own) as without them you always forget what abilities a unit has.

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 08:14:56 PM »
How difficult is rigging the ships for blood and plunder?  I was looking at the brigantine for a first ship.

Offline Toman

• Student
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »
rigging can be a pain but if you take your time it isn't that bad. I've done three ships with very simple rigging and they look good. if you want to get crazy I've seen some pretty complex rigging which looks nice but the more lines you add the harder it is to move your guys about the ships.

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:56:02 AM »
What is the standard size force for blood and plunder?  How many points? 

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 10:43:02 AM »
I don't think there is a standard size - you adjust the table size depending on how large the forces are.
I think we've been using about 200 points a side, which is about 5 or 6 units of 8 figures per side.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 07:07:45 AM »
I have yet to play the game, awaiting miniatures from the second kickstarter, but I think both the points and number of models varies greatly from land, amphibious and sea battles.

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
Are there any Blood and Plunder dedicated forums?  Places to ask more specific questions about painting and such?  I could not find any on the firelock page?  I missed it?

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 12:42:08 AM »
They closed their forum. There's a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/BloodandPlunder/ which is a little hit and miss but consider starting you conversation here, there's much more collective experience here I'd say.  ;)

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 12:53:24 AM »
Who are the Flibustiers for the French?  I understand that most units do not have uniforms, but I could see the English and French militia being issued them.  But the Flibustiers look uniformed with similar style coats and are painted in a blue and red style uniform way in the Firelock promotional pictures, but I cannot find anything about why?

Offline WulframMors

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:59:37 PM »
I believe that's just a personal choice on the part of the painter. Standardized uniforms don't seem to be a thing in the Carribean at that point in time, at least not across an entire army.

Buccaneer types especially would be wearing whatever they wanted most likely. Seems like those particular French Flibustiers have decided to coordinate their outfits with each other! 
 :D

My Fallout Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63394.0
My Dracula's America Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105669.0

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 02:46:53 AM »
Who are the Flibustiers for the French?  I understand that most units do not have uniforms, but I could see the English and French militia being issued them.  But the Flibustiers look uniformed with similar style coats and are painted in a blue and red style uniform way in the Firelock promotional pictures, but I cannot find anything about why?

Flibustiers are your rank and file French Buccaneers. Milices des Caraibes are French Militia, which was often uniformed (as where many English militia). The Flibustiers and French Militia often fought together and both where often added as auxiliaries to compliment French regular forces in quite a few battles. The actions against the Dutch on Tobago in 1677 is a good example.

As part of the new expansion, regular troops for the late 17th century have been added along with cavalry and artillery units if your looking for more conventional uniformed choices.
Mike Tuņez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com