Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help is needed!  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
Help is needed!
« on: July 29, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »
Hello, friends. I want to make for my Gustav Adolf Army a regiment of Irish mercenaries. There is information that the Swedish army of that time had Irish-Scottish regiments. What flags could they have?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Help is needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:28:38 PM »
Hello, friends. I want to make for my Gustav Adolf Army a regiment of Irish mercenaries. There is information that the Swedish army of that time had Irish-Scottish regiments. What flags could they have?
Somebody just did this... but I can't remember where I saw it. :(

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:04:09 PM »
As far as we know, Gustav Adolf had two Scots-Irish regiment raised by Alexander Forbes in 1630-1631 : Forbes' own and Frederick Hamilton's. These units entered Swedish service in 1631 and their whereabouts become difficult to track down after 1633. I don't think there's any information around regarding their flags, which are most likely unknown. Some Scottish units are known to have used the cross of St Andrew over a field of varying colours (notably blue and green) and Forbes' regiments may well have carried similar colours, but that is purely conjectural.

Oh, and at the risk of being a killjoy, Scots and Scots/Irish mercenaries in Danish or Swedish employ did not wear their traditional celtic garb in Germany. Plaid and tartan were regarded as primitive and tribal apparel and regimental commanders were anxious to have their men clothed in 'proper' continental clothing as soon as they landed in Denmark or Germany. By contract, the men were transported to continental Europe while sill wearing their native clothes but they were supposed to be issued with a full suit of clothing shortly after arriving at their destination. Due to occasional supply shortages, some men had to keep on wearing their celtic clothes for weeks or months before they received proper uniforms but the idea was always to ensure that Scots and Irish mercenaries looked exactly like their German colleagues.   

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 04:54:31 AM »
Thank you. On account of the uniform, I want a small number to make their blue berets, checkered trousers and blankets over my shoulder.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:10:40 PM »
Thank you. On account of the uniform, I want a small number to make their blue berets, checkered trousers and blankets over my shoulder.
Yes, seems like there's still enough wiggle room to add flavour and still be historical.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
Friends, this is how I drew Frederick Hamilton's Scottish-Irish Regiment for Gustav Adolf's army. More photos on my blog:

https://andrei1975.blogspot.com/2018/10/blog-post.html

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:45:39 AM »
Nicely done.*thumbs up*

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 02:15:19 AM »
Damn they look good!

Certainly guys in Swedish service, but with just the right amount of wild insular north in them.