Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Into the Odd project - the second Oddventurer!  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Into the Odd project - the second Oddventurer!
« on: July 29, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
While on holiday, I ran my first session of Into the Odd, a great old-schoolish fantasy RPG with a sort of Dickens-meets-Lovecraft vibe. All the players enjoyed it, so I'm keen to run it again soon, for at least three different groups (kids, old RPG friends and even colleagues).

The game has a great character-generation system, where you roll for three 3d6 stats and 1d6 hit points, then cross-reference them on a table to see what gear and traits your character has. Low stats and hit points are balanced with better starting equipment. Among these packages are things like these:

"Pistol, bomb, shovel, glowing eyes"
"Halberd, fake pistol, artificial lung"
"Mace, pigeon, disfigured"

There are 60 packages. As I intend to run the game a fair bit for one-offs, I thought I'd start a new miniatures project to create a full suite of PCs. The resultant miniatures will also give me plenty of NPCs (outlaws, brigands, town guards, etc) for our regular D&D/Whitehack campaign. And they'll make a up a sizeable Dragon Rampant force too.

To begin with, I've ordered the Frosgrave soldiers and some Warlord games Pike and Shotte command and riders (lots of pistol arms). Armour in Into the Odd is either "shield armour" (e.g. mail and shield) or "modern armour" (breastplate and helmet). The most common weapons are muskets, swords and pistols, though halberds, daggers, maces, and longaxes crop up too.

So, before I get started this week, I thought I'd consult that LAF hivemind on what sprues might yield some fruitful kitbashing options. I'm already thinking of things like Perry foot knights with Pike and Shotte gun-wielding arms. But I'm sure there must be some useful sprues or boxes out there that haven't yet crossed my mind.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:46:04 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: Into the Odd project - on the hunt for kitbashing ideas!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:10:58 AM »
Since it's fantasy, check out the fireforge knights and foot soldiers... I think those with warlord minis muskets and pistols would match nicely.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »
If you can still find it, the old GW Empire Militia sprue had a large range of weapons, all within the range of options you require.

- Frostgrave Soldiers sprues; several crossbows in there, that can be easily swapped for guns
- Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago Crewmen
- Fireforge Footknights and Soldiers

And maybe also look at AWI models; they have muskets and pistols, so might be a good source of arms as well.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Following this with interest - I'm a big fan of Into the Odd, and really looking forward to its forthcoming second edition (Bastionland).
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I acquired a sprue of Frostgrave soldiers this morning and have been scanning AWI (and ACW) sprues for options.

Here's the first Oddventurer - a Fireforge Teutonic knight body and head with Warlord arms and a bit of dwarven gear on his belt. He could fit several of the starting packages, e.g: pistol, knife, telepathy; pistol, saw, animal trap, spyglass; or pistol, cigars, poison, fugitive.

A really quick and dirty paintjob on this one - black gesso, base colours, silver-grey drybrush, metals, wash. And a few highlights on the face. I'm going to speed paint all the kitbashes this way, as these are very much disposable heroes (Into the Odd has quite deadly combat).

I need to find some disposable heroines too; a forthcoming game will have a majority of female players, who may - entirely reasonably - want female characters. Reaper Bones do one or two female Victorian adventures - any other pointers gratefully received!

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
Re: Into the Odd project - the first Oddventurer!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »
That oddventurer look nice. Great kitbash and good paintjob on him.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »
I need to find some disposable heroines too; a forthcoming game will have a majority of female players, who may - entirely reasonably - want female characters. Reaper Bones do one or two female Victorian adventures - any other pointers gratefully received!

Shieldwolf's Shieldmaiden plastic sprues might be useful for you. And perhaps GW's Woodelf Glade Guard sprues; those have a couple of female bodies on there. And I believe the Dark Elf one has a couple of female torsos too.

The Confrontation line has plenty of female adventurers, especially the one human faction, which also has black powder weapons.

And the Dicebag Lady is bound to have many choices available too :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
Lovely brushwork  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
Frostgrave Female soldiers are due out sometime this year.

The shieldwolf models are quite tall compared to the historical plastics you've mentioned, but one thing I've done is cut the torso of them and stick on legs from Perry or Fireforge.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Into the Odd project - the second Oddventurer!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
Thanks, all!

Here's the second Oddventurer: a pretty rough paintjob, but this one covers sword, pistol, modern armour, sense nearby unearthly beings.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
Very nice! Great fantasy look from those really anachronistic pieces.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 03:57:19 PM »
Lovely stuff! Man, I'm now thinking of bashing together some ACW, Napoleonic, and WOTR plastics...

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
Looks like a fun project.  Should the pistol be a revolver and not an older style flint lock type of thing?  I'm not familiar with the setting but that revolver looks decidedly 1920s rather than 1820s.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
Thanks, all!

Should the pistol be a revolver and not an older style flint lock type of thing?  I'm not familiar with the setting but that revolver looks decidedly 1920s rather than 1820s.

Ah - the setting is barely sketched out in the main game. But I understand that Electric Bastion (the follow-up/second edition/expansion) says that there is all manner of technology in Bastion - just weirder and less efficient than in the real world. I think the author is also explicit about it not mapping onto any particular time period but having echoes of lots. Given that, I thought a brass revolver would fit in OK - and I like the extreme juxtaposition with the fifteenth-century armour.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 12:33:05 PM »
Great job. Very dynamic looking guys.