Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Miniature Transport!  (Read 8332 times)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
Miniature Transport!
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:19:01 PM »
Hi Guys,
just wondered if I tell you something old but....

Here in Down Under we have always the problem that the minis fall out off their cases because we are upside down as you know :D
Therefor I use rare earth magnets (! not these silly magnetic sheets) and cheap toolboxes or cookie boxes (free after you have eaten the content)
With rare earth magnets the minis won't move at all (even upside down or if you stick them on the walls)
Total cost to transport 100 minis is around $20 including case (a magnet is around 4 cents) much cheaper than the overpriced and mostly too small boxes you can by elsewhere. (eg from the company that should not be named)

I even use the magnets to transport "Big Minis" like elephants etc.

Is that an old idea!? need more Info!?

D.
Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »
I always thought these "super strong" magnets are too thick to glue them under a base.
But maybe this would be good for all the big models I hardly get in my case without something breaking off.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:35:30 AM »
I think you have the totally wrong idea about this!

have a look here

[img]http://users.bigpond.net.au/dethlefs/magnet.jpg[img]
and
[img]http://users.bigpond.net.au/dethlefs/magnet3.jpg[img]
and
[img]http://users.bigpond.net.au/dethlefs/model and magnet5.jpg[img]

The magnets are so small they easily fit into a normal base (around 6x3mm)
You can get even smaller ones...and trust me this is the best way to transport you rminis

D.
I don't understand why the pics don't work so here are the links
http://users.bigpond.net.au/dethlefs/magnet.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/dethlefs/magnet3.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/dethlefs/modelandmagnet5.jpg

As you can see the magnet is so small that it fits INSIDE a normal base (even the big Monsterbases with the knobs under it - it fits in between)

I transport my models in a $9 red toolbox and just stick them in there. on the bottom, on the sides, on the lid, just everywhere and they do not fall off.

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE IMAGES?
Can anybody tell me why it doesn't work...
I looked it up in another post and still can't make it work!?!?!?! :x

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 01:34:26 AM »

and

and

Close tags. /img.  8)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 01:35:52 AM »
AAAH! Thanks!  :oops:

So I try again...

I think you have the totally wrong idea about this!

have a look here

As you can see the magnet is so small that it fits INSIDE a normal base (even the big Monsterbases with the knobs under it - it fits in between)
I transport my models in a $9 red toolbox and just stick them in there. on the bottom, on the sides, on the lid, just everywhere and they do not fall off (!)

I saw people selling these magnets on ebay for $1, and just wanted to warn you, they cost around $0.04.

If I undercoat or paint I just stick the model on something metal (I have a metal ruler to spray paint a group 20 minis at once) and thats it, I even stick them to metal legs of my painting table to dry  (upside down, doesn;t matter)

The most important thing is, they do not fall over or need to be squashed into the foam boxes, because the normally have arms or legs and weapons sticking out so they wont fit anyhow
(Can't understand why the "company you should not name" sells mini boxes that do not fit their over sized models - and that for $80!)

I carry my whole medieval army (including the horses with the long lances) in one big toolbox. (total cost around $30)

D.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:27:55 AM »
So, the toolbox is iron, right? And not one of those with trays that swing aside when opened... I'm not sure, that I can get those without here in Denmark.

I guess, alternatively, I could glue thin sheets/strips of metal (with an appropriate content of ferrides) inside a wooden or cardboard box?

I would really like to know about a place where I can order those magnets, please?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »
Just google "rare earth magnets" and you should be able to find suppliers.
This is a surprisingly standard product. It is used in a lot of applications (just saw my wifes new necklace - it had a magnet lock!)
So there is nothing secret or high tech about these magnets.
They are made in huge amounts. I bought 3000(!) in a pack the size of a cigarette box and paid around $120 for it.
I haven't used them all yet but maybe half, because once you have them you will find lots of applications for it.
Mounting guns on tanks, minis on display bases to swap with gaming bases, etc etc

I also have some "normal" toolboxes (the one with the trays and they are also very good - but a little bit more expensive ~$29.)
These boxes are made of tin, thats why they are so cheap. Just go into DIY store, get a magnet and "test" what's available...most of the times the cheap once are the good once (aluminium doesn't work of course)

And as I mentioned above boxes for cookies or sweets are great (they are made from tin and if you ask around most people will give these away for free) Ask in supermarket, they might have some that are damaged and will be  thrown out and most of the time they look really cool

Will send a few more pics tonite (meaning in about 10 hours)

have alook here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_magnet

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:13:25 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
So, the toolbox is iron, right? And not one of those with trays that swing aside when opened... I'm not sure, that I can get those without here in Denmark.

I think you can get them.
They're not normal "toolboxes", they are cases for power-tools.
Here in Germany they look like this:

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:20:19 PM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"

have them too, great ones, and very cheap, got mine for 2,50 EUR

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »
OK, seems like a possibility - and as I'm basing all my minis on GW-style bases, I can easily adopt the 'fitting in'-style.

No more ridiculously expensive transport cases for me - I'd rather spend my money buying figs and rules from all those industrious 'alternative' manufacturers out there (...here?)!

Edit:
Oh, - and a peculiarity: 'Tin' means 'pewter' in Danish... and that would, of course, not work (apart from being appallingly expensive  :lol: )

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »
Achtung! Bohrmaschinen und Bohrhammern!

Thanks for the tip on the rare earth magnets. I'll go check them out. We've got a pretty good electronics shop up the road that might have them.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »
The problem with Neodyn / rare earth magnets is - they are stronger than most glues! And avoid to go near monitors with them.

I have some, and fopr large minis they are great. But for historicals i prefer plastcard-bases, so they won't fit.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 11:17:52 PM »
no Problem...I just use contact glue

1 drop in the base, put magnet in, done! These magnets are very small, they are powerful but won't stop your pacemaker from working...

And I seldom play with my minis on a monitor  :wink:

Offline geboom

• Bookworm
    • http://www.shiftinglands.com
Miniature Transport!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 10:15:27 AM »
I had a similar problem with my miniatures. I never thought about adding magnets underneath the base and came up with anther solution.

http://www.shiftinglands.com/tips&tricksminiatures.htm

I do however bougt a sheet of magnetic foil for one of my twisted ideas for some sort of magnetic game. Maybe this could be an option as well?

http://www.mms-magnet.de/en/prod_s_coropol_magnetfolie.php

Greetings
Geboom