Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wilderness War.  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Wilderness War.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
Interesting Colin  :)

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
British play “ Stingy Provincial Assembly “ for its 2 value.  He activates the Maryland and Virginia Provincials to move from Shepherds Ferry and Winchester to Wills Creek .

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »
The geographic presentation is interesting. I've never seen the Blue Ridge defined that way on a game map. I've driven through those mountains and visited historic sites along the way, it rings true to me.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
The French play “ British Colonial Politics “ and move the marker on the BPA track one box to the right to Reluctant . This forces the British to remove 2 x Southern Provincials from Shamokin and Carlisle, who go home to their farms . Leaving the line of stockades in N . Virginia and Penn. very sparsely manned.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:39:42 AM by Belisarius »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »
Just by way of explanation . I dislike stacking units on a map  so , wherever possible , the Leader counter is placed on the map location and the troop counters are placed in the Leaders holding box. Where there are troops with no leader they have to be put out  on the map.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:22:49 AM by Belisarius »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
The geographic presentation is interesting. I've never seen the Blue Ridge defined that way on a game map. I've driven through those mountains and visited historic sites along the way, it rings true to me.
Yes , Z , the Allegheny and Laurel Ridge Mts ( Blue Ridge Mts ? ) run in a semi circle, on the Virginia/Pennsylvania border , any unit or leader landing on a mountain must stop . The British have constructed a line of Forts and stockades behind them , protecting the Shenandoah Valley , which Dumas is trying to cross in order to raid ( the square cultivated spaces ).  The map also has 3 x ranges running roughly NE to SW , the Adirondacks, Green Mts and White Mts .  Louisbourg is also open to an amphibious assault if the British can coordinate their cards and troops , Wolfe is in the Leader pool and liable to be drawn later in the game . Both sides can opt to move / assault up and down the Lake George , Champlain corridor. A very interesting board game , imho , and I wish we had them when I was at school as I think they are a great teaching tool .

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
The British try to regain the initiative by playing the “campaign  “ card allowing them to activate 2 x Leaders plus troops and use the Naval move .  Abercromby, with 22nd and 35th Foot , moves by sea to Alexandria to shore up the Southern defences.  Loudoun moves by boat , with the 27th Inniskillings and 3 x battalions of the Royal American Regiment , from New York up the Hudson River to Hudson Carry North ( Fort William Henry ) . Thereby threatening Lakes George and Champlain areas.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:25:30 PM by Belisarius »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »
3rd Card .  French play “Small Pox “ on Loudoun’s force and throw a die 5 , which halves and rounds up to 3 .  British opt to reduce the 4/60th and both Provincial units down one step.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:38:54 AM by Belisarius »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
British play a 3 card and activate Abercromby’s force ( 22th and 35th ) and moves them from Alexandria to Allegheny South . Thereby threatening Dumas command ( 2x Marine detachments, 1xCdeBois and 2xIndians.   EDIT . Wrong move , would have been better going to Will’s Creek ( Fort Cumberland ) . Thought was to stop Dumas moving South and occupying the empty stockades , but forgot he would have to stop at Mountain space , doh !  It’s a process of learning the game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:19:19 PM by Belisarius »

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
Beautiful , Zippy , just beautiful. Music to game by , the voice has to be good to sing unaccompanied.     I Must  say I,m enjoying this board game, it’s exceeding my expectations.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 09:55:14 AM »
4th card . French play a value 1 card and activate Dumas’s force to attack Abercromby, then immediately plays “ Ambush “ , doubled ( before shifts ) , fires first , +1 for Dumas’s tactical rating. This gives a C.S.F. Of 12 and with a die roll of 3 results in 3x step losses on the British. The 22nd are eliminated and the 35th go down 1 step , disaster.  The British return fire with their 2xCSF unit ,minus 1 for facing Auxiliaries in the mountains, throw a 5 which results in 1 x step loss on the French. Interestingly this Must come of a Regular ( every odd step loss comes off Drilled troops 1,3,5,ect. ). Abercromby pulls back to the stockade at Woodstock. Shades of Braddock’s defeat at the Monongahela which is the next space beside the battle.  The V.P. Marker moves to French 5 ( won battle against Regulars ). This leaves the French 6 vp,s short of an outright win.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:58:59 AM by Belisarius »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
British are constrained to play the “ Victories in Germany “ card , throw a 3 , and restore Abercromby’s 35th foot and Loudoun’s 4/60th up to full strength.  They can’t bring back the 22nd ( eliminated ) nor restore Loudoun’s New Jersey or New Hampshire Provincials as the card states Regulars only.  This leaves the initiative firmly with the French.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:20:27 AM by Belisarius »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 02:35:16 AM »
I am intrigued by this game... :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
I am intrigued by this game... :D

Really intriguing! Eager to see more of it! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi