Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686506
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modelling putty advice please  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Modelling putty advice please
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »
HI

I'm looking for a modelling putty that is soft enough (liquid) to be used to press into 28mm figure chainmail and fill the gaps, allowing it to be smoothed off either when still wet or filed/sanded smooth afterwards.

I want to fill the chain mail and paint it like leather armour.

I have plenty of greenstuff, but my experience with this is that its too thick to really force into the chain without leaving a very thick layer over the top.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have a recommendation?

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Modelling putty advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
Warm Grenstuff is a LOT easier to smooth out in a thin layer. Have you tried using an old hairdryer to heat it up?

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »
Take a small piece of green milliput and finely chop it while adding a little water (best done on a piece of glass) and you’ll soon create a paste that can be brushed on as a fine filler.

I’ve also filled chain mail with GS, using it in minute quantities immediately after mixing and forcing it into the gaps while scraping away excess, then rubbing over with a wet clay shaper.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:27:49 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
thanks guys. i shall persevere with greenstuff tomorrow. I also found an old tube of squadron green putty that *might* have some life in it...

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
Deluxe plastic putty

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »
Milliput does have the advantage of being almost water soluble until it sets. It might work for filling in chain mail.

It might be worth considering using Maskol or the blutac like putty as masks to keep the filler out of other detail..

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
GW and Vallejo make a liquid putty for brushing on, but I haven't used either of them. If it was me, I'd use whatever I had already (Greenstuff, Milliput, whatever) and just mix it into a thin paste with plenty of water. Then brush that monkey on.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:21:54 PM »
Revel (used to?) do a tooth-paste like filler. I bought (many years ago) when my local supplier ran out of Miliput just when I had to do some filler work. It was quite liquid, if I remember I had to leave it for several minutes for it to harden up a bit.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »
Also mig makes an acrylics c filler similar to the deluxe plastic putty. Miliput can be disolved with water but its shrinking. Vallejo putty doesnt grab well and cannot be sanded. Liquid green stuff maybe can help, but it will take many passes because it shrinks. Normal green stuff, grey stuff and the sort do not disolve in water. Tamiya and mr Hobby putties can work but they are solvent based and that makes them stinky and messy. You have to disolve them with laquer thinner or mr Hobby / tamiya plastic glue.
Hope i helped