Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 03:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: weathering vehicles on Mars  (Read 439 times)

Offline Dochejed

• assistant
weathering vehicles on Mars
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:12:49 AM »
I thought I saw a thread on this a while ago but can't find it now.  I've got my Crossover Aberdeen airship built and painted and was about to start weathering it when I realized I wasn't sure how I wanted to do it.  Given the Mars of Space 1889, little or no rust I would think, more dusty and dirty?  How have other folks done it?

Thanks.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: weathering vehicles on Mars
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:01:42 AM »
I have given my equipment rust. The reasoning is that there is water on Mars (canals and such) and therefore there is moisture in the air. Iíve also got the idea that there is something slightly corrosive in the air, a bit like oxidation here; some aether particles or some such.

Itís not overly done and the photo below should show the amount Iím going for on everything (give or take.

Offline Supercollider

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mad scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:17:00 AM »
I followed a similar logic with the moisture/mild corrosive element and added rust to my stuff.  After the rust I gave everything couple of super thin washes of my Mars colour (sandy/butterscotch), then use some similarly coloured powders to get into the nooks and crannies.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • elder god
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
Splendid vehicles folks. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dochejed

• assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:18:18 AM »
Really nice vehicles!  Also I like the idea of a slightly corrosive atmosphere so my flyer is going to have a little rust as well as dirt and dust.  But just a little.  This is, after all, Her Majesties Royal Navy and the officers will be  keeping the crew busy scraping that rust off.