Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)  (Read 73943 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:27:57 AM »
I’m organizing a Mordheim campaign that is scheduled to begin in October, so I need to start work on my warband.

My plan is to resurrect the Kislev warband that I played (but never painted) back in 2009.  I've updated some of the models and added some new characters, but names and backgrounds (which I will post later), remain essentially the same.

Druzhina (80) dueling pistol (13*) sword (10) = 103 points

Esaul (35) great weapon (15) = 50 points

Bear Tamer (35) sword (10) hammer (3) = 48 points

Youth #1 (15) hammer (4) = 18 points

Youth #2 (15) mace (3) = 18 points

Cossack #1 (30) sword (10) shield (5) = 45 points

Cossack #2 (30) sword (10) shield (5) = 45 points

Cossack #3 (30) halberd (10) = 40 points

Streltsi #1 (25) great weapon (15) bow (10) = 50 points

Streltsi #2 (25) great weapon (15) bow (10) = 50 points

Kislev Ranger (30)

* 1/2 price ancestral item

Youth, Youth, Druzhina, Esaul, Bear Tamer

The two Youth models are City Militia models from Fireforge Games' Medieval Russian model line with GW arms,bits, and weapons.  The female's head was made by Statuesque Miniatures.

The Druzhina is an Altreich Engineer made by Black Chapel miniatures.

The Esaul is a V&V viking miniature.  I replaced its head with a head from GW's Empire Archer kit.  The axe blade comes from Frostgrave's Barbarian kit.

The Bear Tamer's head, body, and right arm is a metal, GW Kislev horse archer. The rest of the bits are GW.

Cossack, Cossack, Cossack, Streltsi, Streltsi

The 3 Cossacks are all from GW's Mordheim Kislev model line.  The two Streltsi are from GW’s Kislev Kossars box set.

Kislev Ranger

The Kislev Ranger is another GW Mordheim model. As you can see, I strung her bow, replaced her humongous sword with a slightly less humongous axe, and did some extensive GS work to cover up her ridiculous cleavage.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:36:30 AM by Koyote »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Koyote’s Mordheim Kislevites
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
Looking good  8)

I like the subtle conversion work on them.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
Brilliant conversions can't wait to see them painted.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
That is a nice conversion, and some great painting!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »
what skilled work and painting.  :-*

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »
I’ll be following this with interest.

Can you provide details of the copper(?) wire you used to string the ranger’s bow e.g. the diameter?

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
Excellent!  I shall watch this thread with interest, as Mordhiem remains my all-time favorite miniatures game, and the Kislevites are probably my wife's favorite warband.   You have some nice conversions there.  I agree with previous posters that you did an excellent job on the ranger.

-Michael

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Thank you, everyone.

I strung the bow with copper wire.  I don't know the wire's gauge, but I can tell you that it came from a small gauge stranded (multi-strand) wire.  I removed the plastic sleeve, unwound two inches of wire bundle, and clipped off a short length from one of the strands. 

Since the bottom half of the bow is sculpted into the cloak, I couldn't string the bow from tip to tip.  To make it look like bottom half of the bowstring is hidden from view by the cloak, I drilled a small diameter hole into the side of the model where the left hip and cloak meet.  Next, I inserted one end of the wire into the hole and secured it in place with a dab of super glue.  Once dry, I carefully strung the top half of the bow with the free end of the wire.  Once strung, I added a dab of super glue to keep the strung end from unwinding.  Since I couldn't string the bottom of the bow with copper wire, I used GS to sculpt the bowstring wound around the bottom of the bow.

And yes, I know, this isn't how real bows are strung, but on this particular model I think it looks good.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
These models are clearly not Kislevites (they're from a Don Quixote themed warband that I painted a couple of years ago), but I'm really happy with the quality of the photo so I wanted to share.

For years and years I've been taking awful-to-mediocre photos of my miniatures, so I finally broke down and bought myself a photo tent and some proper lamps. Here's what I purchased.   It's nothing fancy, but it's made a significant improvement in the quality of my photos.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:00:33 PM by Koyote »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Koyote’s Mordheim Kislevites (and other stuff)
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »
Excellent work  8)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 06:10:57 PM »
    Mordheim is great fun and has a strong nostalgic appeal to many long time gamers, but like most GW products, it has more than its fair share of flaws.  For example, armor is expensive, but not that useful, and most melee oriented warriors tend to be armed the same, with two one-handed weapons.  Like many others, I use house rules to address some of the game's flaws and to encourage the use of armor and a greater variety of weapon types.

Additionally, it has been my experience that if a campaign is designed to produce a single overall winner, one or two warbands tend to take an early lead and the perceived inability to catch up to the top scoring warband(s) convinces some players to drop out.  To address this, I host a final champions match that takes place at the end of the campaign.  The top 4 warbands play in a final 4-way game.  The winner is the overall champion.  Under this system, players don't have to worry about catching up to the #1 scoring warband, instead all that they have to do to earn a place in the final champions match is to get more points than  the fourth highest scoring warband.

What follows are the WIP rules for the upcoming Mordheim campaign at my local game store.   I've opened it up to a wide variety of warbands in order to attract new players and moved the campaign outside of Mordheim to shake things up a bit.  When you have a dozen or more participants,  you start to run out of suitable Mordheim terrain, but since our campaign setting allows games to be played in cities, castles, hamlets, or in the wilderness, this shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to the Dark Tower 2018 Autumn Mordheim Campaign.

The campaign begins on Tuesday, October 9th and thereafter, Mordheim Campaign Night will be the second Tuesday of each month.  The campaign will end on January 31st, 2019.  In February I will organize a final, 4-way game to decide the campaign's overall winner.

Each warband is permitted to play up to 2 games per month (8 games in total).  The two campaign scenarios for the current month will be announced (and posted) at that month's Mordheim Campaign Night.   In theory, players will play at least one campaign scenario during the Mordheim Campaign Night, and then since many of the campaign participants will be there, players will then have the opportunity to schedule their second game for later in the month.  Warbands that fall behind are free to play make-up games at any time during the campaign.

In keeping with the spirit of the Autumn season, the campaign will be set in the benighted County of Sylvania.  This setting not only shakes things up a bit, but it helps us with our terrain problem.  Based upon available terrain, players can play their scenarios in abandoned towns, gloomy hamlets, or in Sylvania's dark forests and wilderness.

Attached to this post are the pdf rules for playing Mordheim in Sylvania.  The rules are essentially the Sylvania campaign rules from Issue #6 of The Letters of the Damned.  I feel that the original rules are a bit too severe, so I made a number of changes to them.  I also added an explanation for how income is generated in games set outside the walls of Mordheim (i.e. via Treasures).

I recommend that starting warbands consider purchasing some lanterns and torches (both are common items).  Torches act like lanterns, but are one use items. They cannot be lit mid-scenario, so you must declare during deployment which models are equipped with lit torches.

Because Sylvania is such a poor county, lanterns may be purchased for 5 gc and torches for 1 gc each.

Sylvanian Guide

None of the warbands are native to Sylvania, so each has either hired or enslaved a Sylvanian to act as the warband's guide.  In game terms, each warband will begin the campaign with a free hired sword that does not count against starting warband's cap on hired swords (see rule 13 below).  This miserable wretch will use the Beggar rules and remain with the warband until killed or dismissed.  Because Sylvanians are quite poor, the guide's upkeep fee for good and neutrally aligned warbands is only 3 gc.  Non-human and evilly aligned warbands enslaved their guide and thus need to spend only 1 gc per campaign phase for upkeep.  However, being enslaved has made the wretched Sylvanian even more wretched, thus the guides of non-human and evilly aligned warbands suffer a -1 penalty to their LD stat.

http://broheim.net/downloads/fo/94NewHiredSwords.pdf

Native Son.  Sylvanians have become mostly inured to the terrors of their homeland, but even the most  stouthearted soul can lose his nerve when he travels too far from hearth and home.  Consequently, when a guide is required to make their Spooky test, the guides test at LD 10 (LD 9 for enslaved guides).

Perfidious.  A guide will never intercept a charge directed at member of the owning player's warband (including hired swords), but players are free to use members of their warband to intercept charges directed at their guide.

The Least Wretched Wretch.  At the end of the campaign there will be a prize for the most vicious guide. If your guide takes a neutral model or an enemy model out-of-action, please ask your opponent to send me a PM notifying me of this.  Include in the email: 1) the guide's owning player, 2) the guide's name, 3) the name of the model(s) taken-out-of action, and 4) what that model is/was.  For example: "Hi, this is Sherbert.  In our game last night, Joey's Sylvanian guide, Dog Breath, took out my Youth, Garth and a neutral zombie."

I will keep a tally of each guides' victims and at the end of the campaign announce the winner.

All participants will be given a suitable model to serve as their warband's guide.  The models will be distributed on the first campaign night, Tuesday, October 9th.

ADDITIONAL CAMPAIGN SPECIFIC RULES AND RULE CHANGES

MOVEMENT

1.            A model equipped with heavy armor and shield does not suffer a -1-movement penalty.  Instead, a model so equipped suffers a -1 initiative penalty.  If a model possesses a skill or ability that negates the ‘-1 movement penalty’ for heavy armor and shield, it instead negates the -1 initiative bonus.

2.            An enemy model within 8” of a dwarf model does not prevent the dwarf model from running.

HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT

3.            If a model is equipped with a shield and either a sword, axe, hammer, or spear, the shield adds +2 to the model’s armor save against melee attacks instead of the standard +1.  With the exception of magical attacks that mimic melee attacks (e.g. the Sword of Rezhebel spell), this benefit does not apply to hits from magic or shooting attacks

4.            If a model is equipped with a buckler and either a sword, axe, hammer, or spear, then in addition to the bucker’s parry rule, it adds +1 to the model’s armor save against melee attacks.  With the exception of magical attacks that mimic melee attacks (e.g. the Sword of Rezhebel spell), this benefit does not apply to hits from magic or shooting attacks.

5.            When a model armed with a double-handed weapon charges it attacks at initiative order; otherwise, the model follows the Always Strikes Last rule.

6.             A warrior armed with two one-handed weapons may make 1 extra attack with the additional weapon. Before rolling the to-hit dice the attacker must declare which weapon is in the model’s ‘off-hand.’ The weapon in the off-hand suffers a -1 to hit penalty. Otherwise, the normal 'Fighting with Two Weapons' rule applies.  If a model so armed has an attack characteristic of 2+ that attack characteristic applies only to the weapon in the model’s primary hand.

WARBAND CREATION

7.   Players may use any of the following 32 warbands:

Arabian Tomb Raiders (TC 20)
    Averland Mercenaries (TC 10)
    Battle Monks of Cathay (BTB)
    Beastmen Raiders (TC 29)
    Black Orcs (Nemesis Crown)
    Bretonnian  (TC 08) <-- warband caps at 15 not 12
    Carnival of Chaos (TC 27)
    Clan Pestilens (TC 29)
    Cult of the Possessed
    Dark Elves (TC 12)
    Dwarf Rangers (Nemisis Crown)
    Dwarf Treasure Hunters (TC 04)
    Forest Goblins (Nemesis Crown)
    Gunnery School of Nuln (Nemesis Crown)
    Hochland Bandits (Nemesis Crown)
    Horned Hunters (Nemesis Crown)
    Kislevite (TC 16)
    Lizardmen (TC 11)
    Marauders of Chaos (BTB)
    Marienburg Mercenaries
    Middenheim Mercenaries
    Miragleans Tilieans (TC 14)
    Night Goblins (new) (see Broheim)
    Orc Mob (TC 06)
    Ostlander Mercenaries (TC 11)
    Outlaws of the Stirwood Forest (TC 29)
    Norse Explorers (TC 13)
    Pirates (TC 09)
    Pit Fighters (TC 21)
    Reikland Mercenaries
    Remasens Tileans (TC 14)
    Restless Dead (BTB)
    Shadow Warriors (TC 10) <-- warband caps at 10 not 12
    Sisters of Sigmar
    Skaven
    Skaven Clan Pestilens (TC 29)
    Trantios Tileans (TC 14)
    Undead
    Witch Hunters <-- warband caps at 15 not 12

8.            The maximum number of warriors in a Bretonnian or Witch Hunters warband is 15.

9.            During warband creation and normal campaign play, when a warband recruits a Hero (excluding Hired Swords), that has a starting xp value of one or greater, then that Hero begins the campaign with one free advance roll.

EQUIPMENT

10.            In addition to the weapons, armor, and equipment found in the main rulebook and warband specific items, warbands may purchase items found in the Opulent Goods article (TC 2) and the  Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe article (TC 7), subject to the following changes:

- Lucky Charm costs 15 gc and is Rare 7
- Rabbit’s Foot costs 20 gc and is Rare 8

PSYCHOLOGY

11.            A player may not elect to voluntarily Rout until at least one-third (always rounded up) of her/his warband has been taken out of action.

HIRED-SWORDS

12.            Warbands may not hire Dramatis Personae.

13.            A player may recruit one hired-sword during warband creation. The player is free to select from any of the hired-swords available to the player’s warband.

14.            Normally, hired swords may not be given additional equipment. Due to the unusual setting, players are free to equip Hired Swords with lanterns or torches.

15.            The following hired-swords will be recruited during the campaign:

Arabian Merchant (TC 13)
    Bard (TC 13)
    Beasthunter (TC 28)
    Black Orc Overseer (Nemesis Crown)
    Bounty Hunter (TC 13)
    Clan Skyre Rat Ogre (TC 25)
    Dark Elf Assassin (TC 12)
    Duelist (TC 13)
    Dwarf Pathfinder (Nemesis Crown)
    Dwarf Troll Slayer
    Elf Ranger
    Freelancer
    Halfling Scout
    Highwayman (TC 26)
    Human Scout (Nemesis Crown)
    Imperial Assassin (TC 6)
    Kislve Ranger (Fanatic 6)
    Merchant (TC 22)
    Norse Shaman (TC 12)
    Ogre Bodyguard
    Old Prospector (Nemesis Crown)
    Pit Fighter
    Priest of Morr (TC 12)
    Roadwarden (TC 26)
    Runesmith Journeyman (Nemesis Crown)
    Shadow Warrior (TC 13)
    Tilean Marksman (TC 6)
    Warlock
    Warrior Priest of Sigmar (TC 28)
    Witch (TC 13)
    Witch Hunter (Nemesis Crown)
    Wolf Priest of Ulric (TC 08)

POST BATTLE SEQUENCE

16.            When rolling for Injuries during the Post Battle Sequence, a hero equipped with armor may make an armor save (no shield bonus) to ignore the results 11-35 on the injury table.

17.            When rolling for Injuries during the Post Battle Sequence, Hired Swords and multi-wound Henchmen follow the ‘Heroes With Serious Injuries’ rules.

18.            Leaders treat a ‘11-15’ result on the Heroes Injury Chart as a ‘16-21’ result.

19.            The following optional rules will be used during the campaign:

- Weapon specific critical hit tables (main rulebook)
- Blazing Saddles (TC 14 -replaces Mounted rules in main rulebook)
- Sawbones (TC 28 )
- Random Happenings (TC 3 – only if both players agree)[/li][/list]

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:11:07 PM by Koyote »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »
Really lovely conversion and subtlely done paint jobs.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
If I lived near you I would join your game... nothing like this going on in my neck of the woods...
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »
Awesome project Koyote! Good luck with the campaign- it looks like you have a good handle on it.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Koyote in Mordheim
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »
my word - I can only envy and admire your work here on all levels. Very lucky group of players joining in with you on this  :-* !

and the quality of those last two figs you've shown in the thread couldn't better justify your upgrading your lighting set-up etc. Fantastic.