Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)  (Read 73961 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Koyote in Mordheim
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »
thanks.

so you're saying that the 'incidents' (love the marriage!) you've described above were all covered by FG rules?

(btw, in case you aren't aware, FG rules for black-powder and horses are available in the first issue of the 'spellcaster' magazine - although what you currently use may well suit you better of course).

Looking into 'captains' (I have various of the pure FG books, but have never played), I'm getting the impression they're 'meant' to be an adjunct to the Spell-casters, as opposed to a viable 'lead' character - but you haven't had any trouble using them as the latter?
Have you looked into GA, where the opposite holds and the lead characters are melee orientated by default?

sorry to go on with the questions - feel free to ignore of course.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:42:35 PM by Bloggard »

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »
so you're saying that the 'incidents' (love the marriage!) you've described above were all covered by FG rules?

Looking into 'captains' (I have various of the pure FG books, but have never played), I'm getting the impression they're 'meant' to be an adjunct to the Spell-casters, as opposed to a viable 'lead' character - but you haven't had any trouble using them as the latter?
Have you looked into GA, where the opposite holds and the lead characters are melee orientated by default?
Frostgrave does have a serious injury table for heroes taken out-of-action, but it's much shorter than the Mordheim table and does not include a 'captured' result.  So the answer to your question is, as far as I know, no it isn't possible to capture an enemy model in Frostgrave.

After its release, common criticism of Frostgrave was the lack of a fighter-type hero, who like the Wizard and Apprentice, gained experience, could use a wide variety of equipment, and had multiple slots to carry magic items.  The Captain was Frostgrave's response. 

To answer your question, a warband may not be led solely by a Captain, it must include a Wizard and Apprentice.  But, whether or not the Captain is the Wizard's subordinate, equal, or boss, is up to you and whatever back story you wish to create for your warband.

I like the Captain's Tricks of the Trade mechanic, but since each trick can only be used once per game, tracking them in a transparent manner can be a bit of a chore.  As such, I use big fan of Blotz's Frostgrave Captain tokens.

"GA"?  What game are you referring to?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:20:20 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 09:02:35 PM »
"GA"?  What game are you referring to?

That would probably be Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago. Judging by the size of the facebook groups, I might be a bit alone in this, but it is my prefered version of Frostgrave. I need to get Maze of Malcor to see how those changes will size up.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
yes, Ghost Archipelago.

So from what you say the blunderbuss wedding was a straight Mordheim game.
Still a bit puzzled why the game fizzled out (at least officially) and why the system is seen as contraining in comparison with Frostgrave...

I suppose it got rather strung-out and confusing with so many official and (particularly) unofficial tweaks and additions ... (?)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:00:03 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
** in just reading through the thread again (properly) I see I've been misunderstanding things - so sorry about the questions about the 'hybrid' rules etc.
think I've got it straight now (you play mordheim with house rules, and 'frostheim' which is FG with a mordheim theme etc).

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
** in just reading through the thread again (properly) I see I've been misunderstanding things - so sorry about the questions about the 'hybrid' rules etc.
think I've got it straight now (you play mordheim with house rules, and 'frostheim' which is FG with a mordheim theme etc).
Correct. 

By going off on the Frostgrave tangent, I must share some of the blame for your confusion.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
well, you've got me thinking v. seriously about Mordheim - been looking at the rules, and really like what I read / see  :)

there's a (dark) 'humour' and, as you say, whackiness in there which really appeals...

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »
well, you've got me thinking v. seriously about Mordheim - been looking at the rules, and really like what I read / see  :)

there's a (dark) 'humour' and, as you say, whackiness in there which really appeals...
I don't know if you've discovered it yet, but you can find free pdf copies of everything Mordehim, both official and unofficial, at http://broheim.net/

The website does a great job of identifying the original sources and even includes a grading system that identities a document as "official" or fan created.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »
yep, got all the d/loads I think - Coreheim looks an interesting place to start.
but have also picked up a copy of the original rules from ebay, as I wanted the fluff and colour section ...

but sorry for a bit of derailment here - do hope you keep this thread up about your new campaign - will be v. inspiring and enjoyable I'm sure.

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
I love your take on Mordheim. One of my first loves in wargamingland, and still a sweetheart to this very day.

Please keep up the very good work. Very inspiring indeed!
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote’s Mordheim Kislevites (and other stuff)
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2018, 06:05:24 AM »
Sylvanian Guide

None of the warbands are native to Sylvania, so each has either hired or enslaved a Sylvanian to act as the warband's guide.  In game terms, each warband will begin the campaign with a free hired sword that does not count against starting warband's cap on hired swords (see rule 13 below).  This miserable wretch will use the Beggar rules and remain with the warband until killed or dismissed.  Because Sylvanians are quite poor, the guide's upkeep fee for good and neutrally aligned warbands is only 3 gc.  Non-human and evilly aligned warbands enslaved their guide and thus need to spend only 1 gc per campaign phase for upkeep.  However, being enslaved has made the wretched Sylvanian even more wretched, thus the guides of non-human and evilly aligned warbands suffer a -1 penalty to their LD stat.

http://broheim.net/downloads/fo/94NewHiredSwords.pdf

Native Son.  Sylvanians have become mostly inured to the terrors of their homeland, but even the most  stouthearted soul can lose his nerve when he travels too far from hearth and home.  Consequently, when a guide is required to make their Spooky test, the guides test at LD 10 (LD 9 for enslaved guides).

Perfidious.  A guide will never intercept a charge directed at member of the owning player's warband (including hired swords), but players are free to use members of their warband to intercept charges directed at their guide.

The Least Wretched Wretch.  At the end of the campaign there will be a prize for the most vicious guide. If your guide takes a neutral model or an enemy model out-of-action, please ask your opponent to send me a PM notifying me of this.  Include in the email: 1) the guide's owning player, 2) the guide's name, 3) the name of the model(s) taken-out-of action, and 4) what that model is/was.  For example: "Hi, this is Sherbert.  In our game last night, Joey's Sylvanian guide, Dog Breath, took out my Youth, Garth and a neutral zombie."

I will keep a tally of each guides' victims and at the end of the campaign announce the winner.

All participants will be given a suitable model to serve as their warband's guide.  The models will be distributed on the first campaign night, Tuesday, October 9th.

The Sylvanians have arrived.

And now that the month long heat wave has passed, I can get to work painting my Kislevs.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:11:39 PM by Koyote »

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2018, 12:25:50 AM »
I've finished my first two Kislevites.  The models come from the OOP GW Kislev Kossars box set. 

These two scoundrels are the Streltsi, Gregor and Ivan.

Gun-Rest is a characterful rule, but IMO something you shouldn't bother with until the Streltsi becomes a hero. Handguns are expensive (35 gc), have only an ok range (24"), are Move or Fire and, worst of all, they must be reloaded after each shot.  If you equip the Streltsi with a halberd, a requirement of the Gun-Rest rule, you've now spent 45 gc on equipment for human henchman who has to remain fairly static during the game and can only fire every other turn.  Even worse, if the model is taken out-of-action, it dies (and loses the expensive equipment) 33% of the time. 

Once a Streltsi becomes a hero, the model becomes more survivable, has access to a higher BS, and best of all, shooting skills (e.g. Hunter) that negate some of the handgun's negatives.  Combined, these factors make the 45 gc investment more worthwhile.

So, while my Streltsi remain henchmen, they have to make due with two handed weapons and bows.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
fabulous painting - love the style and colour choices etc.

and the more I'm reading of the depth of the mordheim rules (hope I 'm not getting this wrong again !) the more I like the look of them, mods or not.

Offline Skaville

• Student
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
Fantastic project- Mordheim is my drug of choice, and your ideas are inspired.
What are the plastic minis you're using for Sylvanians?

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »
Fantastic project- Mordheim is my drug of choice, and your ideas are inspired.
What are the plastic minis you're using for Sylvanians?
The models are Anglo Saxon Geburs, made by V&V Miniatures.  The models are resin and the quality of the casts is excellent.